Change font size   Print view

Oregon Open Ocean Classic - SUP race

This board is for announcing meetings and events (i.e. Surfrider meetings, surf club events, beach clean-ups, surf contests, etc). Registration is required.

Moderators: Spider, wanty

Oregon Open Ocean Classic - SUP race

Postby fossilgrom » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:40 am

Beverley Beach to Nye Beach about 7.5 miles. Le Mans Start on the beach at Bev. Scheduled start date is Saturday the 28th.

Anyone else on here doing this race?

Here is the link:

http://www.oregonopenocean.com/home

I have paddled around the head before and it is a great paddle. This could be a fun race if weather conditions allow it.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Re: Oregon Open Ocean Classic - SUP race

Postby fossilgrom » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Local Boyz did good. Kenny Wilson took First in the 12"6" and under class. Yours truly took third; 5 minutes behind first - not too bad considering what I was riding - I was just happy to keep him in sight. Local animal Georgie DeSoto did the course on a prone board - only prone entry - very respectable time - instant first place. Very cool event and some pretty neat stuff way off shore. GL showed up and rode the 14' class - dude is an amazing paddler. One of the most strenuos events I have ever entered - sweet.

I would like to personally thank Dan and Ollie from Ossies and Tim and Ben from Oregon surf shop for the ski support. Seeing them out there with us really allowed us to focus on the race. Also would like to thank all the folks responsible for bringing this great event to Newport - THANKYOU!!

I will be there again next year - with a racing board this time.
Last edited by fossilgrom on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
fossilgrom

Postby speelyei » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:14 am

so, what'd you see out there way off shore? glass fishing floats, u-boats, mermaids... all the usual stuff? Congrats on placing in the top 3!
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby fossilgrom » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:13 am

Honestly was a bit apprehensious about paddling way out until we got out there, then I put my head down and didn't think about it again. Probably the neatest thing was being outside a group of whales on the north side of the head.

I was impressed by the way the larger racing boards cut through the chop. i'm hooked now and will probably get one here pretty soon.
fossilgrom

Postby andyjade » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 am

Didn't know ya'all were open to prone boards entering. I would have liked to do this course. Nice to see someone else paddling one, though.
andyjade
Ten barrel mullet

Postby fossilgrom » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:22 am

The Board that George was on was a 14' flat water board - not really the right board for open ocean. He did amazingly well considereing he had to remain prone most of the time as the board was too unstable to ride on his knees. He has an 18 foot board with a rudder, but it was dinged at race time and was sidelined.

We are talking about doing the course again soon and maybe looking at some other routes in the area.
fossilgrom

Return to Event Announcements