Change font size   Print view

SOTY 2018

Most people put away childish things as they mature. However, if you insist on engaging in this inherently dangerous pasttime please confine your posts here...so I don't have to waste time reading them. Registration is required.

SOTY 2018

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Any early predictions for Skater of the Year 2018? Rooting for Zion Wright personally-- he's been killing it the past couple years and his REAL part was top notch. http://www.thrashermagazine.com/article ... real-part/
Z brought the heat on King of the Road too, which given the reach it has nowadays, goes a long way for making the popular vote (see Jamie Foy last year, who 100 % earned it anyway, Vice programming or not).

Speaking of KOTR, MVP Evan Smith just released an epic part too. Apparently, SOTY has alluded him in years past, so maybe 2018 is his year?

Cody Lockwood's Creature feature was one of my favorite parts of the year, but I don't think this is his contest. I hope to see him on the shortlist though. The guy is unreal.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Re: SOTY 2018

Postby Spent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

I always vote for Lee ralph or Fred Gall.

Maybe Deerman of Darkwoods.

Or the entire GX1000 crew?

Frank Gerwer.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:15 pm

If we're staying loyal to the streets, might as well add Boserio to the list. I feel like I saw some new footy from him this year, but can't recall where... Polar vid maybe? So hard to keep track these days with the media inundation.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:23 pm

That Polar vid was great. Dane Brady for PDX SOTY.
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

New Gx1000 is mental. Holy s*it http://www.thrashermagazine.com/article ... -up-video/

I feel like Dane's the nice kid down the block who you kindly ask to stop skating on your porch, but then give him one more try after all (and he makes it), whereas the G squad makes homeowners go insane with rage and terror, as they decimate the investment.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 am

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/evan-smith-s-war-and-peace-part/

Got to be, eh?

This is the God damn B Roll... some people are too good....
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 pm

One would think, but word on the street is Tyshawn Jones took it home. Figured Milton Martinez would be the sleeper champ if Zion or Evan got passed up, but nope...

Tyshawn is sick though-- classic style, atomic pop. Dude's tweaked out Nollie flip over the bin is all time.

Still think Zion had the best year, personally. His 2018 footage speaks for itself. Evan had a broken foot for most of the year, but his Peace part was transcendent-- he may not have taken SOTY, but when the aliens come, he'll be first on board the UFO doing zero G switch 360 heelflips in their intergalactic skate dome or whatever.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Thrasher came in the mail the other day, Tyshawn on the cover with a solid nollie heel off a bump to bar. Never seen a SOTY catch so much flack for his accomplishment-- kids all like "Not my SOTY" or "Should've been Evan".

But, man, "Blessed"-- ya see that part he filmed? It might be a low key apparel ad (ok maybe not so low key) but it's poetry. On par with "Roll Up" but an NY twist. Raw, heart, and sick af-- the glory of skating.

There’s also a standout clip from the past year of TJ skating wrong way down Lexington, busting off a couple grinds and when a dozer turns the corner and stops for him, kid pulls a quick f/s boardslide on the blade. WTF? Who does that?

Anyhow, don't know why I'm writing this now-- guess it's just exciting to see someone change the game so quick that the kids don't understand it. Mostly, I just want to encourage anyone who cares to watch that Blessed part, keep an open mind, and ffs never read the comments :roll:
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Return to Skateboarding without a condom