Change font size   Print view

Vernonia

Most people put away childish things as they mature. However, if you insist on engaging in this inherently dangerous pasttime please confine your posts here...so I don't have to waste time reading them. Registration is required.

Vernonia

Postby Chanel Derrière » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:46 am

Hang a left before Manning on your way back from Seaside, you f*cking kook because Vernonia built a skatepark that your sorry @ss just might be able to handle. Maybe you'll re-find some pride after your expulsion from the surf. Probably not. Good luck with those slash grinds, a-hole. Pool coping at Seaside too 'grippy' for you? That's why it's called a grind. Nothing's easy on the coast.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Re: Vernonia

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:29 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed May 11, 2022 6:35 pm

Really anywhere in rural Oregon is. Rednecks hippies off the griders gansta weed growers etc. Been like that for decades. I will not be turning off 26 in the coast range never do. Feels like a forest wasteland and doesn't appeal to me.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu May 12, 2022 9:31 am

I dig the 26 to 30 no mans land. Lots of places to get lost on the bike. Anyway, I still have not hit this park but a lot of old men are apparently really feeling it.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 12, 2022 11:15 am

Yes I like some of that zone too, although it is widely know to hold some white nationalist, militia, and nazi training compounds so there is a bit of a creep factor. Be safe out there biking bro! I do like along the river there and the falls thou. Great swimming hole and good camping, although I have had a few strange experiences mostly with city folk though. You might check out the Nehalem River road if you have not already. Good gravel road along the river that goes to the fall as you may already know. Need to get back on my bike..... been a while.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu May 12, 2022 11:54 am

Yep.

Cycled solo from SE PDX to Astoria off road as much as possible. 110 miles... Then cramped up and died at Buoy Brewing. Got my eye on several other routes but hard to find people to do them with.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 12, 2022 12:29 pm

Nice work. That's gnarly. I've yet to do anything long. Was on a roll riding to and from forest park during pandemic, but lately my bike just sits. Now that I work from home, I've basically become a bit of an urban hermit lurking and working in my unfinished basement, sticking to a 10-15 block radius, rarely going anywhere other than Lowes, coast, and mtn. A diy kitchen remodel also zapped a shite ton of time last summer and fall. Also need to rebuild drive train on my All City, but throwing money at surf trips and this new custom TP.

I was taking my youngest daughter, my last hope oldest not into it other than the 90s skater fashion at the moment, to Kumo funky Alberta park to learn, but then it got hot with the gang bangers. Drive bys at 6pm and a teenage couple was murdered in cold blood there. Buddy was skating with son one day and bullets started flying and they had to hit the deck and duck for cover in the shallow bowlish feature. A friends kid, an avid skater in that neighborhood also had a gun pulled on him. No bueno. We stopped going there, but may start again in the am's if I can get her motivated early. I've been eying some diy skate builds in my urban radius looking for someone to ask permission to roll wit her there.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby INTERN » Thu May 12, 2022 3:58 pm

Chanel Derrière wrote:Yep.

Cycled solo from SE PDX to Astoria off road as much as possible. 110 miles... Then cramped up and died at Buoy Brewing. Got my eye on several other routes but hard to find people to do them with.

Hit any rogue snow in those upper elevations?

There's a good route Portland - Netarts along the N. Trask

Find me ripping gateway on the drop bars.
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu May 12, 2022 7:36 pm

Intern,

Was awhile ago and late summer so no snow. Stunning scenery though. Love to hear more about the Netarts route.

I haven't been to Gateway since the remodel but used to do a few laps, also on drop bars, on the way to longer rides...

ML,
That Alberta skatepark is super limited. Can be fun if empty. Lots of girls camps at Glenhaven, Gabe and Stronger skatepark who targets girls and queer skaters... rad looking indoor park and super welcoming. in the summers. Pier Park also has a very fun, welcoming scene believe it or not.

I nearly had a fight at Gabriel yesterday so shite pops off everywhere these days... Graffiti dude starts spraying graffiti while I was skateboarding... needless to say words were exchanged.

Some insane DIY action at the PSU courts, Feral Cat Cove and Creston Park DIY. Kids making it happen.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Major Lazer » Thu May 12, 2022 9:01 pm

SW and the MV burbs are a different story. Right. Prob some punk @ss kid who bought his rattle cans on Mommy and Daddies dime. shite pops off literally around here with the bangers as you prob know and that park was hot all summer long with multiple fatalities. Its no joke. But yeah limited skatepark for sure. Just fine for her to learn some basics thou. I don't skate it. She and her sister did some lessons at the indoor Stronger park a while back and had more fun than with me. They'll be going to HS right there next-door Ghaven, so maybe they will hit that? Used to be my go to, but I haven't skated it in several years. I'm staying within my urban geo fence thou. Not much interest in going anywhere else. I did my time in the highrise downtown and never again. Don't really skate anymore and seen all there is to see in this town otherwise. I have all I need, if not in excess right here.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm

Nah there is literally a graffiti war going on from what I heard. he was late 20s or so. probably some weird post-pandemic cabin fever angst popping off. too long and boring to write about here but he did try to square up to me when i told him where to get f*cked... he did actually skate also.

Not that its a contest but gang activity has largely moved from Inner NE to East Portland in general due to the G word and other factors...Still bad in parts of north Portland and St Johns also. I live close to 82nd and Powell and its been insane... especially east and south of us... Powellhurst, Centennial, and Lents. At Mt Scott, on 72nd and Woodstock there is a little cold store that seems to have a weekly homicide. Taught my kid to swim right there and some friends with backyard bowls live right there. But shootings are happening all over, even inner Division and Hawthorne. Lost a few kids at work to gun violence over the last couple of years and three of my staff have had family members/ friends killed.

Back on topic I think I'll hit Vernonia tomorrow and report back. Cool graffiti spot out there also.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Chanel Derrière » Fri May 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Well I Smithgrind and I rallied out to Vernonia today. Rad park and very unique in comparison to our other local parks. I think it would appeal to a lot of people who might be skatepark curious but wouldn't normally hit a park. It's a psychedelic pump track. No pushing required. Dare I say it's the 'surfiest' park in the NW Oregon? (I'm looking at you PC--- what a downer that place turned out to be in comparison). Access to the fourth dimension and beyond is highly possible. The local kids are stoked and so are the local lumberjacks, two of whom were slashing the shite out of it... Rad scene. Do yourself a favor and get some concrete cardio carves going.

Also ran into the homeboy who had my back at Gabriel the other day. Meant to be. Happy Friday the 13th.
Chanel Derrière

Postby Howly Wolf » Sun May 15, 2022 12:19 pm

851D764D-9AAD-49E7-80E7-B0A2B27E0F74.jpeg
851D764D-9AAD-49E7-80E7-B0A2B27E0F74.jpeg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 7674 times

Artist's rendition of the < 6' club's adventure to Vernonia.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 16, 2022 1:24 pm

Report perks a bit of interest. Would of been a nice traffic pause activity when I was working on site out that way.

Still have yet to try Gateway. I know some guys who skate the pump track on occasion.

PC a let down? I thought people we pretty stoked on it?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Chanel Derrière » Tue May 17, 2022 8:24 pm

Was just like that Howly!

ML, honestly I think you'd dig it. Totally a one of a kind for our area. Can be worked like a pump track but way more fun as its more three dimensional. Time you assault though as the local kids have yet to figure it out and you'll want all the space you can get.

Gateway is a fun mini half bowl with very good transitions but nothing like Vernonia.
Chanel Derrière

Next

Return to Skateboarding without a condom