Change font size   Print view

Best Beach for Kids in OR

This forum is all about the family and the upcoming generation of Oregon surfers.

Moderator: Tex

Best Beach for Kids in OR

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:52 am

So I have surfed a ton of spots in OR.

However, I never have really evaluated them for teaching kids (5 & 7) how to surf.

SS is ok but rips can be significant sometimes. Any suggestions out there would be awesome.

Thanks,

Tex
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Best Beach for Kids in OR

Postby wanty » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 am

i dunno. good question tex.. any beach can be dangerous depending on the conditions so thats a toughie. I always thought otter was a safe spot but after getting stuck in a gnarly channel i decided its one of the more dangerous spots. I think best bet for kids would be any popular sandy surfing beach on a TINY swell.

im hoping to get the old man in the water for the first time this weekend on his 53rd b-day. :D
wanty
Site Admin

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 am

Agreed on the tiny swell call!

I took my dad out one day when he was in his early 50's. We were at SS and it turned out to be beautiful sunny day, water temps were in the low 60's and we had offshore breezes.

The swell however was picking up very fast. We got stuck in no man's land on a very large wave, I started scratching for the top of one wave and I looked down at my dad, while on the same wave and told him he had to turn and take it...he was on a boogie board. I swear this wave had a 12-14 ft face.

He ended up getting WORKED and basically crawling up the beach. We still laugh about that day =)

Have fun with your pops out there!
Tex

Postby grizldoldfk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 pm

tex, i've been thinking about this and i've decided the best beach for getting your kids in the water is the closest one. the closest one to your home. if it's el punto or indian or shorty's or chester or driftwood or stumpy's or first lot or cameron's point or baker or camp or otter or pistol or cribs or nelly's or pc or hank's or sister's or xxx. the best one is the closest one. and here's why:
the kid will be in slop getting the beatdown like we all got no matter where. remember your first sessions? it didn't matter that it was onshore and two foot and crappy swell. or if it was dredging suckout twelve footers. it was so fun.
we don't get picky until we know the diff. and that's us. kids aint like us.
get 'em wet.
find a place with waves that push toward the beach and call it good.
it IS good.
don't try to travel. i mean, travel is great and time with the kids and new experiences is great, but just find a beach with an ocean and water that gushes toward the sand. forget your own session. screw that. leave your own board on the sand or maybe even at home.
get out there about chest deep or waist deep (your kid's chest/waist) and turn and burn.

i love surfing.
but it takes on a whole other dimension...and a whole new level...when you're the proud papa, watching your kids have the same kind of fun that most of us have forgotten.

enjoi brah.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Doc » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Shorties or Otter...
Both knock down the swell...
Both require effort (minimal) to get to...
Thus teaching nothing comes easy...
Both are beautiful.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Tex » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 pm

I have to agree with you on that one Doc!
Took the younger grom out in the water at Shorties last week....he did pretty good, even on those vertical faces with the critical sections!

I am most worried about the board crackin him in the noggin. Oh well, he has to learn eventually.
Tex

Postby ghosting » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:30 am

Fully agree Otter/Shorties.

Would add Agate (on the right days)...
ghosting
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed May 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Taking my boys on a surf/camping trip this summer. Probably in WA....no spots given this time.
Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 am

My son's each caught their first rides on Sunday down at SSands.

My youngest was balancing on my 5'0 Simmons and waited for the whitewater and then rode it in....hilarious.
The older one caught his wave the traditional way.

They are stopked to body surf and ride waves in any way they can. Not much tops a surf session with my sons.
Tex

Return to The Next Generation