Change font size   Print view

Happy International Surfing Day?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Happy International Surfing Day?

Postby Spent » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 am

International- look for mediocre waves, paddle out into cold water, in a thick wetsuit in June to what looks like it could be a peak, wondering why you're sharing the 'line-up' with dozens of other wankers with the same hapless dream, you're not happy to see them, they're not happy to see you, competing for below average sub par slop with fellow valley kooks, a few stink eyes from entitled locals, watching the janitors get the best waves, especially that one janitor who's poo-man stance is so extreme the crotch on his wetsuit is about to blow, finally something comes you're way but your back has now seized up from sitting in cold water watching the shite show for too long, so you stumble to your feet on what looks to be a half decent wave, your mind is already flowing down the line, thinking about where you are going to turn and go off the lip so hard bro, you get a decent bottom turn and then it closes out on your chest but no worries you can recover and get back on the shoulder and you do but then it becomes a gutless crumbler that even the grovliest of grovel boards doesn't want anything to do with, but you're holding onto he dream that there'll be one section at least, to make a Dane Reynolds inspired turn, nope its done, you flop into the shallows, grab your board to think about paddling back out for more disappointment only to see a stand up foil boarder slicing his way through the crowd on wave of the day- Day.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Re: Happy International Surfing Day?

Postby Howly Wolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 pm

#shredlife just wouldn't be complete without #internationalsurfingday , spent. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some new gear to purchase at Cosube...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:55 pm

I heard an estimate of 800 people for the Party Wave thing in SE on Friday night.
I assume most of you were home nursing injuries, watching your children sleep or reading books.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 am

Yeah I ended up working till 7:30 Friday night and then I was complete toast. Did you end up going to that thing SG?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I, for one, was camped outside Cosube in anticipation of their #internationalsurfingdaysale . Really wanted to get a new changing cloak, preferably with Pendelton wool lining, but surprise! the guy says they sold out at Party Wave the night before :roll: "But I was loyal to you 'Sube", I pleaded, "I WAS LOYAL"! but it fell upon deaf ears. Guess I'll just have to be seen in last year's style, until the new ones are back in stock #overit
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby smithgrind » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Tex wrote:Yeah I ended up working till 7:30 Friday night and then I was complete toast. Did you end up going to that thing SG?

Hardly.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby smithgrind » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Still haven't been to the Sube yet or Leeward. Most likely never will.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Took my boy in to Cosube....I regretted it....

Howly....you crack me up man, keep up the great posts.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:14 am

Pretty mush Spent. ISD is well a stupid marketing ploy IMO.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Just learned about #worldskateboardingday. Gross. Who comes up with this $tuff?
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 pm

ha ha... i know. its been a thing for a years now. PDX usually has some pretty cool events but what the hell, i'm going skateboarding today instead... June 22nd is forever more Skate for Monk Day. RIP.
Spent

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Happy International RIP RIDE DIE Day.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Celebrated iNteRnAtIOnAl SuRfINg DaY by catching a glimpse of my girlfriend's phone reminding her that, "Surf camping is not fun. Don't do it". Apparently, this notification goes off every three months, in case I try to wrangle her into a surf trip. :roll:
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:00 am

When was it? Way to much going on last weekend to keep up. Otter Rock and Roll, Fathers Day, Pride week, etc, etc etc.

If it was Sat my kids did the Otter Rock and Roll. My youngest 8YO won her 2 heats, but still did not make the podium. She had to know why and went up to the judges to see what was up. They pulled out the scoring book and dug deep for an explanation. Parent child division is a pretty wide swath of ages and a lot of the kids, many who do make the podium don't need their parents pushing them into waves. They really need to put an age cap on that division or have age brackets.

But whatevers she only needed and understanding of how it works and knows surfing is not necessarily about comps and more about getting out there and having fun. Both of my kids had a blast and were in the water most of the day from 8am to 4pm surfing, swimming, and jumping off rocks so in the end it was a win for everyone.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:23 am

Research indicates that mosquitos are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas.
Spent

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf