Change font size   Print view

Summer 2002 Surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Summer 2002 Surf Log

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:28 am

Its here! Finally a lined up week of sunshine and warm temps. Surf forecast looking a lot like summer as well at 2-3 feet. Will gladly sacrifice waves for sun this year. June gloom has been kinda hard on the psyche. If the gromita stays stoked may be out more than usual. Thinking easy Indian go outs. Need a log.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
I post better than I surf

Re: Summer 2002 Surf Log

Postby Tex » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:02 pm

I accidently posted in the Spring log, I kinda miss our old tradition of naming specific months....Junuary Surf Report would have been my submission if I had gotten to it first. Any, fine with lumping them all into seasons if thats how we want to roll with it.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Chanel Derrière » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:09 pm

I'll start us off.

Water chilled back down. North winds return.
Sandbars still not great.
Swell funky.
Getting busier.

In saying that I had some moments the last few days. Opted out this morning and went for a walk instead.

Maybe some LP SW on the horizon. Dust off your water-logged logs or go get a taco.
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:10 am

Coastal observations on a non-surf day:

We were out on the North Coast on Saturday...for specifics you can check, Things that don't Really Matter thread.

It was as warm on the beach as I can ever recall. We were walking on the beach at Hug Point and at 7:45 there were convectionary winds and the temp was already 71 degrees. Tide was low and surf was small, even if I had a board there, I would have kept on exploring.

We all had breakfast at the Yolk in Manzanita, we showed up at 10:00 and we had a table in 10 minutes which was shocking. The food was exceptional, I had never eaten there before and was pleasantly surprised. It was warmer inside during breakfast, literally sweating at the table, felt damn near tropical in Manzanita.

Decided to relax at the beach, due west from the golf course. A grinding little right was holding up with a surprising level of consistency for open beach breaks.

Sand was scorching hot, like we had to sprint from the dune to the water and then the legs would go instantly numb.

Eventually, we all just got too hot on the beach....lol, thanks global warming in June in Oregon.

Driving home past SS at 1:30 and watching the hordes descend from a mile north of the parking lots was entertaining. I could only imagine the zoo like scene in the line up. I assume the swell was micro in the cove.

Apologies if level of detail was TMI.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:30 pm

Well you had a uniquely warm if not hot sunny day to celebrate your Aunts life and create a memory for her and your family.

That stretch you may have seen a grinning right is overlooked with a 3 percent consistency. :lol: I've had very few there, but a few at the dead end access where the road goes left to the CG. And at the CG itself over the dunes. Butter, light offshore, no reverb swell in the mix, and small.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
I post better than I surf

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:04 pm

Ahhh yes, you know the spot....little slice of heaven when it goes.
Tex

Postby holddown » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm

Wow! This place is still here!
I caught a couple of waves in Iceland last week on an 8' Wavestorm, but I forgot how to post photos.
Holddown the fort :D , and I'll check back in a few years.
-HD
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:36 pm

HD, you can't just drop in, claim sessions in Iceland, provide zero picks and let us know your checking back in a couple years. We are the little community board that could, stay a while, we miss your stories bro!
Tex

Postby Chanel Derrière » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:51 am

The wife scored a free place to stay south of LC so I loaded up the battered single fin log and met her out there. Usually, when I pass through LC I am so surf focussed I only stop at the skatepark for a quickie. Knowing the surf was tiny, I had a pretty solid skate session Friday with the locs. Spent the evening watching bald eagles hunting baby seagulls and drinking some beer. Stoked my 17 year old was actually into the scene for once. Next morning she and her mum bailed for the Val and I met a former OSPer (you'll know who in the vid below) at the park again. We skated the whole thing and he showed me how to dial in the pool. Grinded in some spots I wanted to get my trucks on for years. He then bailed for the Val and I hunted out out some LB waves to wash off the skate sweat. Actually found a little peak. Caught a few peelers, and started to dial in longboard cutbacks a little also. Nice to get wet and made a change to have surfing be the after thought. Its so much more pleasant when you're not chasing the main event. Otherwise it was mostly flat as f*ck.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfjq-lag5Q9/
Pink Floyd and Single Fin Logs.
Chanel Derrière
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby Ceedog » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:27 pm

I was trying to check the cams and stumbled upon this place. Wow, been a long time. Hope everyone is well. I see the summer flatness has descended upon my northern brethren too. Hauling my Brady bunch up in the RV and was hoping to hit a few spots from del norte up. Looks like the SUP will be the call if the north winds haven't started yet.

Did y'all get any south swell.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Ceedog » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:35 pm

Is the water really 49 right now? I really don't want to search for my booties.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby INTERN » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:58 am

1st weekend of July, somewhere between A gate and a jetty. Walked the log down the steps from the Air Bnb for some mid tide jumbled trimming. First time in the water since last Oct? Do I even surf? Standard beach break mess, but so nice to know I can still pop and trim. Seemed like some red tide float, but a few spots cleared out to see bottom. Saw an osprey with a fish and a bald eagle messing with some gulls. Getting comfortable turning that big ol' log in on itself, now for just a little more shoulder to work with. I should probably start surfing more...
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:22 am

Ceedog...wow, nice to see you back on the Ol OSP....thanks for the post. There are about 6 of us left....keeping this thing humming along as best we can. I was down on the coast couple weeks back, water was COLD. Booties are def the call but I wear those yr round anyway, along with a hood, but, rarely gloves as it turns out.

INTERN, glad you got some....thanks for the report!
Tex

Postby BOX » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:35 pm

Is the water really 49 right now? I really don't want to search for my booties

Can confirm water felt cold 6:00am at a beach just south of A gate and a jetty. I wore boots, but like Tex, I always do. On the flip side, the buoy gave a 53 degree water temp reading so that’s 4 degrees warmer than you thought… so yay?

INTERN, I picked up a log a couple of months ago. Having lots of fun but also looking for a bit more shoulder to work with. Not shooting closeouts in waist-deep water at minus tide would probably help but that's when I can squeeze in a pre-work session so just making the best of it.

Surfing more for sure has helped me out of my rut. I’ve been getting out at least 3x as much this summer as I have in the past few years and it has definitely made a difference. I’m still objectively terrible, but suck a little less. Stoke levels are pretty high rn. Hope everyone else is having fun out there as well.
BOX
secret spots are my forte

Postby Tex » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:37 pm

way to go Box, keep up the great reports, keep elevating stoke levels!
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf