Change font size   Print view

Spring 2023 Surf Log

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Spring 2023 Surf Log

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:02 pm

It's here. Good conditions on 2nd day of Spring, but micro. Back to Winter by late week. Hopefully a fun run at some point, but never guaranteed. Post em if you got em. 8)
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Spring 2023 Surf Log

Postby Tex » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:55 am

But is it really tho?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:12 am

Of course it is..... 3rd Winter always comes after the equinox. Not to mention the Orcas are in, the waves small for most of the month now, wind always a bit west, and its Spring Break with carnage on the Coast Range and chaos in Cannon Beach! Some bearded guy flipped me off in CB in a big greyish black truck yest with a bunch of "local" stickers on the back :roll: Must of been the boards on roof or I burned him at social securities this winter :lol: Gotta love the North Coast.

This last swell was a strange mid period with a good bit of south and wonk in it registering as the largest this month. Id have to assume its coming off of the southerly storm track that's been hammering central CA and really more of a wind swell vs ground. One day event and dropped really quick like the 2 or 3 others >= 5' this month. Did find some Spring Break solitude with the wifely and doggy at a novelty I spied from above. Bank looks pretty carved out rn. Seen this one go a few times in the last 18 years :lol: Certainly wasn't "going off", but was kinda "going" and looked serviceable. Rights peeling around a mound of sand just down from the deep channel. Figured it be a fun little adventure. No need to surf at any of the markees with the small swell and somewhat clean conditions. Punchy little drops off the peak and rampy WH walls on the mid. The southerly swell direction was wrong, but every now and again one would hit it right and peel down the shallow bar for a decent ways.

Pretty much maintenance with no one around, but will keep an eye on this one. Well there was a sea lion on the beach just chilling. Looked sick to me. Would lift itself up like it was making a go for the water, but then flop back down. What was interesting was seeing the Coast Range from the water caked with snow! Never seen snow capped Range peaks this late, its almost April!!! Gale and winter storm warning through the weekend. I know where I am going. Later March sarf.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:16 am

It was a beautiful morning at a beach south of Newport today. Nothing epic, but definitely worth showing up at work late for :D

Hope the rest of you were able to take advantage the past few days. Looking forward to some more consistently dry weather soon. Spring stoke is firing.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:47 am

Missed it. But looked like the skies parted ways for a few days over there! Enjoyed it closer to the sun and home up on Hood lapping some spring corn with the wifey on Fri. Then a fun bike rip on Saltsman with a neighbor Sat. Starting to see the sun on a more consistent basis here in Gotham, but it's been chilly. Def my fav time of year locally. Got at least one trip over there planed for next month, but hopefully some favorable forecasts will show up in the meantime.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:30 am

i think the rain is about to break me....born and raised in the NW, should be used to it after 50+ years but holy shite, this feels kinda nutty. The wife and I chased the sun to central Oregon, got to sit poolside outdoors for a little over 2 hours with temps in the low 70's. It was a needed break. Snowed on our way home the next morning.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:07 pm

I hear ya..... snowboarding has kept me pretty damn stoked these last few winters and early springs esp as a surfer. Couldn't imagine living here and not having it as one of my main hobbies. Honestly this is the weather I remember from the 90s on the coast and mid to late 2Gs in Gotham when I was busy with babies. Mosdef hoping and planning to GTFO out of here at some point in time for a warmer climate and waters. Wifey is starting to come around to that idea too!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:29 am

1st surf in a month yest was bad. Paddled around for 30 min with no luck. Almost lost patencie thinking maybe wrong board, but didn't see to many others having luck. Eventually found a peak that could hoist me up, but that was pretty much about it. Fizzled out or had to gingerly milk the pocket. Pretty weak fluffy and mixed up. Sun was out but north winds were chilly!!! Water too. Brrr..... Bailed and enjoyed the sun and warmth and a cold one on my front porch in Gotham. 8)
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed May 10, 2023 11:04 am

Been putting in a bit of effort last few weeks for mostly mundane...... finally a warm day thou a few days ago. Water was pretty warm too.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed May 10, 2023 11:42 am

I personally cannot wait for surf this Sat AM along the north coast with bajillions of my homies from PDX.
Tex

Postby Tex » Sun May 14, 2023 3:51 pm

Yup, the Masses descended this weekend, no surprise....deep thoughts posted in Things that Do Not Matter, since not really a surf report.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 15, 2023 10:09 am

Where's that again? Funny to think how many threads this board has which were once all posted on.

Anyways 3 days of a pretty much pumping west swell that held between 5-6+ and 80s on the coast with some east in the wind directions. Shedded the gloves and hood and opted for 4 mill. Water wasn't super warm but air sure was. Mostly avoided the masses surfed a rando I've been looking but don't think ever surfed and put in some effort and got a pretty fun session or two out of several. Back to slop today and down to 2' for the immediate future. Almost feels like a dream 8)

edit: was sorry to hear about the 18yo kid who went for a swim with some friends in CB and never returned to shore.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby holddown » Thu May 18, 2023 8:45 am

Surfed without a wetsuit in Florida a couple of times last week on a long board in beach break slop.
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby BOX » Fri May 19, 2023 9:39 am

Surfed with a wetsuit in Oregon a couple of times this week and last on a long board in beach break slop. :lol:

Seriously, though, some warm water and bare feet would be nice.

Dawn patrol this morning was totally flat mush and the minus tide wasn't helping, but other than that it hasn't been too bad. Typically the best part of my day since I have to go to work right after. I'm just happy to finally get out with some consistency lately. Stoke level sufficiently lit.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Fri May 19, 2023 11:13 am

Way to slay it HD...nice to hear from you bruh!
Tex

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf