Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:39 am

my old lady and I found a trainer....brown belt in BJJ and has a gym in his garage. We were heading up to his gym two days a week before the lock down. Getting my core developed, working on pops, squats, boxing and rolling. I think I found an ab.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 04, 2020 10:34 am

So outta shape and at least 5, maybe 10 lbs over weight. Been eating and drinking to much beer and my knees kinda tweaked. Been doing a few long rides a week knees allowing and occasionally stretching and some core strengthening, but fitness is so worked into my daily routine of which involves 8 miles a day cycling and gym 3 to 4 times a week. Usually gym routine involves lap swimming 3 or 4 times a month. Then I'm usually surfing at least once or twice a week this time of year. Valley rot is literally taking its course. :evil:
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon May 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Are you doing anything specifically for your knee? I jacked mine last winter and it didn't begin healing until I started doing leg lifts, resistance band crap, and (especially) eccentric squats. It's the most boring, useless routine but it works... slowly.

Here's a decent overview that I found helpful, but obviously different ailments call for different exercises:
https://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/spor ... -exercises
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Mon May 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Cool. No. Not really. Other than a meniscus tear I had fixed through surgery, I haven't really had any major issues. It just an occasional flare up or pain I get, never really one particular knee or spot per say, although I should pay closer attention. I've been logging more time on my bike as far as distance rides goes, so I am wondering if that's it. Been meaning to get a fitting since I got a new bike 3 or 4 years ago now.

Anyways at first glance, I do some of these already some for my back actually. That said my consistency has been terrible. This working from home makes me lazy AF. But I need to get back on a routine and will dig into some of these. Really miss the barbel. Its has really helped me with strengthening and staying out of back pain recently. Hard to even imagine when gyms will be deemed safe again.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Tue May 05, 2020 2:58 pm

That's frustrating when pain can't be pinpointed to a cause or area... hope it mellows out for ya.

Since surfing is my #1 motivation to keep fit, being dry-docked for so long has really upended my routine. At this point, I've regressed to full on Vulnerable Adult Learner in body and mind, possibly spirit as well. After half assing exercise for the past month, made a calendar with a day by day listing of specific workout crap-- it kind of helps, but still hard to keep on it without tangible reward of surf.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Tex » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:57 am

75 push ups a day....feeling it!
Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:12 pm

Doing 150 push ups a day, 35 dips and 10 pull ups...waiting for COVID to pass through the house....
Tex

Postby BOX » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:00 pm

Doing 150 push ups a day

Nice, Tex! Are those consecutive or do you do cumulative sets throughout the day? Either way, good on you and hope COVID left the household relatively unscathed
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Hit 250 pushups yesterday....biggest set is 60 at one time right now. But sets range from 60 to 30 at a time.
Up to 50 dips a day with max at 25 in a single set
Transitioned to 25 lb curls instead up the pull-ups, those are seriously kicking may @ss....

The wife has COVID now and my oldest woke up in a bad place this am.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:57 pm

Getting after it buddy!

Everyone is going down with the Omi rn locally. More so than ever through out this pandemic. Hang in there boss.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:59 pm

Thanks ML....I went in to ZOOM urgent care last night because of heart palpitations....at 50 and with family history of heart attacks on my dads side, I can't really f@#K around. Anyway, all the EKG and X-ray and blood work came back golden. But my covid test popped positive. Being vaxxed and boosted has made it relatively easy to get through, I did not think I had it. Turns out heart palpitations are symptoms of COVID. Who knew???
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:49 pm

Damn homie sounds like you have been through the ringer! But hey at least you are getting it over with :) Sounds like its more or less a typical cold and maybe light flu. This strain hasn't bode well for the pro-vax.

I hear ya on heart disease. Have it on both sides. Just had same exact tests done couple weeks ago when I had my 1st physical since pre Covid. Was stoked when everything checked out.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm

def a relief to come out good on the ticker tests. I never assumed vax and boost would exempt me from getting COVID. I figured it would just dampen the impact once I did get it.
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm

It very well could have. Glad you're hanging in there, Tex. Stay shredded.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:44 pm

Had my annual ear check up yesterday. About 65% closure in left and 15% in right. That's pretty much been my baseline since having surgery on my right ear maybe 10 years ago now. Plugs and hood seem to be working. I believe I did most of my damage in the late 90's surfing without a hood and no plugs a lot of the time. Thought I was a tough guy or something. Started wearing plugs while living in NorCal where I only wore a hood 20% of the time. Rarely go without one now and always plugs. Doc also cleaned both ears out. Sucked out a little wax with a vacuum from my left that was stuck behind the exostosis. And pulled a bunch a wax out of my right manually, which was quite uncomfortable. The scaring from the surgery removing the exostosis has hindered the natural process that transports the wax out of your ear. I am lucky enough to have good bennies rn where this maintenance is low cost. Plug and hood up my friends. Oh also the doc who did most everyone's in NW Oregon has retired. I have heard of guys going down to Santa Cruz now. I did get a name of a local otologist that might have done it, if anyone's looking. Hopefully I can avoid another surgery.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf