Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Oh...and another thing....who the hell wants to live another 7 years?

Why would I want to live another 7 years? So I can have someone wipe my @ss for me while I rot in an oldfolks home?

Yeah...that sounds like it is worth me giving up a bloody steak for it.

Quality....not quantity.

I'll die having lived my life...as opposed to hiding from it.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:01 pm

yeah i find it intiresting that vegans make and consume a wide variety of immitation meat products.
Anyways i dont hate vegans, more power to them, like i said in a pinch we can eat them. herbavores are less gamey flavored.
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby Trunk Monkey » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:15 pm

carpenterdan wrote:American Dietetic Association study is where I got lifespan information.
As for the retarded people that might be down the line for my heirs I would be interested in seeing your source for that information.

http://www.eatright.org/Public/GovernmentAffairs/17084.cfm

I found the article your referring to and it made some other interesting statements:
"Some vegans may have intakes for vitamin B-12, vitamin D, calcium, zinc, and occasionally riboflavin that are lower than recommended"

"Low vitamin D levels and reduced bone mass have been observed in some vegan populations at northern latitudes who did not use supplements or fortified foods"

"Unless fortified, no plant food contains significant amounts of active vitamin B-12" "Infants born to vegan mothers whose diets lack reliable sources of this vitamin are at especially high risk of deficiency"

In the article I noticed the terms supplements and fortified foods used to a large extent and that in itself tells me that this vegan diet is not what it's hyped up to be.

But if it works for you great.

I'm done. :)
Trunk Monkey
baitfish expert

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:20 pm

good stuff Flunky....

It is funny how we seem to only remember the parts we like....and those always seem to be the bits we offer as indisputeable fact......hmmmm.

Yeah I'm done too.

Enjoy your Tofurkey there Diaperdan.

:wink:
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:56 pm

TOFURKEY HAHAHA
trunk, thanks you rule.
my freinds sister is some kind of strange vegan that won't even eat cooked veggies, only raw... apparently they feel the pain. freakin weirdos.
i eat a lot of fruits and veggies and only a small amount of red meats, lots of chicken and fish.
balance and moderation is the key, not abstaining.
unless its sex. then too much is good.
speaking of meat eating, ever heard of a vegan hooker?
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby erzats » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:57 pm

Back to swimming:

How effective is swimming for strengthening your paddling and increasing endurance? I wonder because, since you have a board under you when you surf, you can't roll like you do when you swim and therefore must use different muscle groups when paddling as opposed to swimming. True?

So what's the solution? Take your board to the river and do laps across it? Take your board to the pool and do laps there? Just swim more and assume that the less direct strengthening and overall cardio will be better than none? Nmm?

Also, nice job posting workouts. I'm gonna try the Nick Carroll approach and see what happens. Nmm, your workout is just to burley for me. I struggle to complete a 1x1000 period. So as a warmup I'm already lost.
erzats
core!

Postby Doc » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:26 am

Wil

Very informative...

But...how do you explain...

Edward Scissorhands?

Well?

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:57 am

See...that's a tricky one...one of the two random chaotic theories in evolution...

Neanderthols
Edward Scissorhands

8)
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby XBlueSilverX » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:53 am

you forgot Jackalopes
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby nm » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:19 am

erzats wrote:Back to swimming:

How effective is swimming for strengthening your paddling and increasing endurance? I wonder because, since you have a board under you when you surf, you can't roll like you do when you swim and therefore must use different muscle groups when paddling as opposed to swimming. True?

First......I am not a coach......never been a coach.

Second....to my knowledge.....any time you're doing endurance training whether it's swimming, running, cross country skiiing, hiking, what-have-you.......you're increasing your ability to sustain a prolonged activity. ie: less app to be winded or succumb to noodle arms on the paddle out.

True.......when paddling, you're not able to roll your hips and slide as you would when swimming. Positioning accentuates certain muscle usage......but you're still using the same major pulling muscles.....tri-ceps, lats, etc...... I often add heads-up freestyle sprints to some of my workouts to mimic the positioning of laying on a board.

erzats wrote:So what's the solution? Take your board to the river and do laps across it? Take your board to the pool and do laps there? Just swim more and assume that the less direct strengthening and overall cardio will be better than none? Nmm?

I've often thought of taking my board to the river..........but really..........who wants to subject themselves to that wonderful sesspool we so fondly refer to as the Willamette.:wink: The pool I swim at won't allow boards.......doubt you'll find one that will. Don't kid yourself though.....swimming is not just about cardio. There is definite strengthening involved. You can always add a pull buoy to your workouts.....it will help with the strengthening of your muscles. Also.....supplement with a weight routine. I've never found "one" activity that "does it all"........if that's what you're looking for. (When I was "in training" we always did weights for added strength.)

erzats wrote:Also, nice job posting workouts. I'm gonna try the Nick Carroll approach and see what happens. Nmm, your workout is just to burley for me. I struggle to complete a 1x1000 period. So as a warmup I'm already lost.

Yeah...........sorry about the workouts. Sometimes I get carried away.:wink:

Here's a simple reverse ladder........no time frame.......just keep it at about 70% max. No rest......use the kick sets to let your heart rate recover.

2100 meters

1x500 swim
1x100 kick
1x400 swim
1x100 kick
1x300 swim
1x100 kick
1x200 swim
1x100 kick
1x100 swim
1x100 kick
1x100 warm down

side note: Being a swimmer.....doesn't make me a better surfer. However, being confident in the water...because I'm a swimmer......does enhance my surf ability.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Trula » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:15 pm

The wordt thing about pools is the chlorine. My skin is really sensitive and it wrecks havic on my skin. I don't pay for my gym membership. At OSU they just remodeled theirs and it is really nice now.
Portland - Where young people go to retire.
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby erzats » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks nmm. By the way, I was just kidding about bringing my board to the pool and picturing some strange looks from the lifeguard.

Lucky for me I live further up the willamette where the water is a little less likely to contain floaties, foam, shards of cow, or other pollutants. But, the amount of farmland above me still doesn't bode well for cleanliness of the water. I've been seriously thinking of taking my board out there one day, but haven't worked up the will to get cold and wet and tired when I could almost as easily br cold and wet and tired and also be surfing even if the surfing sucks.

Anyhow. Thanks for the ladder. I'll add that to the list. I'm thinking of getting a waterproof notebook containing workouts to take to the pool. Then I can check things off as I go.

Trula -- I'll see you in the OSU pool sometime. Agreed, even though I showered and soaped down yesterday after swimming, I still got the itchies. I think a full body moisturizing cream rubdown is the only way to go.
erzats
core!

Postby nm » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:39 pm

erzats wrote: even though I showered and soaped down yesterday after swimming, I still got the itchies. I think a full body moisturizing cream rubdown is the only way to go.

Most definitely! Shower with soap! Follow with moisturizer!.........only way to ward off the alligator scales and itchiness. (I too have very sensitive skin.......this regimen seems to work for me.) It won't, however, stop the lovely chlorine aroma your skin will emit when you start to sweat.:wink:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby qball » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:08 pm

My wife, a former swimmer, thinks the chlorine smell is sexy. No cologne for me, just dab a little Chlorox on my chest.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby nm » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:13 pm

qball wrote:My wife, a former swimmer, thinks the chlorine smell is sexy. No cologne for me, just dab a little Chlorox on my chest.

........you call your wife Clorox?

:wink:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf