Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Postby nm » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Lotta rips out there lately. Witnessed more than a few "volunteers"...(in the past couple of weeks).... being sucked out to sea.

Soooooo..........here's one that will at least put some paddle endurance under your belt. :lol:

25 yard pool

400 swim
400 kick
400 pull

6 x 150 @ 2:30 [100 swim (free) - mod / 50 kick - fast]

6 x 150 @ 2:30 [50 stroke (IM order) / 100 swim (free)]

6 x 150 pull @ 2:30

100 EZ

total = 4000 yards

Caveat: .....all workouts (that I post) are field tested by yours truly during my lunch hour. I don't expect most of you to churn out 4000 yards in an hour. But if you're at least getting in the water/pool & getting some water time.......excellent! Also.....in no way am I saying that doing these workouts will keep you from getting caught in a rip. These are simple offerings to help keep you in top paddle shape....when you can't surf every day. Fact is....I've been caught in a few rips over the years. That half hour paddle......isn't cake. Having a good base & lots of endurance training is always a bonus.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby nm » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:47 am

nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Major Domo » Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 am

In 1950, Zenith created the first TV remote control called “Lazy Bones.”
Major Domo
Mermaided

Postby budster » Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 pm

was it the size of a suitcase? now we can watch Jackie Gleason and never have to remove our Swansons built fat a$$ from the sofa.
budster
I love a good soft top

Postby ghosting » Sat May 31, 2008 12:39 am

Started hitting the pool recently. Man I gotta say - it's humbling to always have a guy who's 100 lbs overweight in the lane left of you and a soccer mom to the right - and they are both kicking my @ss in stamina.

Winter + Beer + Car = a lot of work to do... last time I was out I literally gave up my fourth paddle out. Just noodles for arms and nothing to draw on stamina wise.

This "getting in shape" thing is new for me, but it's starting to show it's perks quicker than I thought it would.
ghosting
Ten barrel mullet

Postby nm » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Here ya go ghosting.......today's stamina builder. Good luck.

...a soccer mom.

50 meter pool

2 x [200 swim/ 100 kick/ 200 pull]

6 x 250 @ 4:30 [150 mod :10 RI / 100 neg split]

100 ez

16 x 50 pull @ :55 - mod

400 kick - build up

cool down

total = 3800 meters
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Random M » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Ghoster, keep with it... it's amazing what consistent pool time will do for your stamina. Dont' worry too much about comparing yourself to anyone, either... I mean, it's not like surfing, right? :lol:

I started swimming with a masters club a few months ago and while I thought I was in OK shape, I definitely wasn't pushing myself as hard as these workouts do --very similar swims to what nm has been posting. My coach must be pulling these from the same book... but the 4K's are done in 90 min, not 60...

So, nm, you must be training for nationals?
Droive me to the cahst, I'm goin ta be a pro suhfah.
Random M
Plover Murderer

Postby nm » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Random M wrote:So, nm, you must be training for nationals?

Nope.

Training for life, baby. Training for life...
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby bluesilver » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:16 am

Yoga is great for keeping you flexible and greatly reduces the chance of injury. So I heard, I don't do that gay crap :o

ok, maybe sometimes.

I put on a 30 pound pack w/camelback and go trail/mountain running.
My current runs around Seattle are Tiger Mountain and Mt. Si, which is 4 miles of switchbacks in steep terrain, one way. Gets you to your max heart rate fast and stays there. It's not easy, but very fulfilling as far as workouts go for me becuase of the scenery and the need to reach the top keeps me moving.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby nm » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:45 am

bs wrote:Yoga is great for keeping you flexible...

I suppose....

bs wrote:I put on a 30 pound pack w/camelback and go trail/mountain running. My current runs around Seattle are Tiger Mountain and Mt. Si, which is 4 miles of switchbacks in steep terrain, one way. Gets you to your max heart rate fast and stays there. It's not easy, but very fulfilling as far as workouts go for me becuase of the scenery and the need to reach the top keeps me moving.

Sounds great for the quads & glutes. What sort of elevation increase? How do you handle the downhill? (ie...knee pressure) Do you walk down? ...slow to a jog for the down?
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby grizldoldfk » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:12 am

not to derail your thread, but i'm registered for a triathalon (benifit for the local pool) and i'm the bike guy in the relay (yes-relay triathalon-you gotta problem with that?!)
it's like 12 miles.
so i'm wondering, where should i mount the basket on my bike? front or back? or both? of course wind resistance needs to be minimized, so, should i use an enclosed system? like a small igloo cooler? or, would you guys go with a wire mesh old school system?
the thing is, i need a place to put the flowers i pick from the side of the road, but i don't want them to get crushed by the beers. nor do i want my beers to get warm.
any help on this will be appreciated.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby nm » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:16 am

:lol:

You know......they make cup holders for your handle bars. I'd use one of those to hold freshly picked flowers.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby grizldoldfk » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:18 am

cool!
thanks nm!
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby buck'm » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 am

Why don't you dig out that pull-along stroller/basket for kids thing you have in your garage (maybe it's up river though). Rig that up to the back of your bike, pitch the cooler in there. You won't have to worry about smashing your pretty little spring flowers. And you'll even have enough room to keep las cervesas chill for the whole crew. It may add a little wieght to the ride but I'll hang back with'ya bro.
la vida no vale nada, no vale nada la vida
buck'm
Mermaided

Postby gills » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:07 pm

nm wrote::lol:

You know......they make cup holders for your handle bars. I'd use one of those to hold freshly picked flowers.

Griz, don't listen to NM's nonsense. This is what you need--- safety and convenience in one stunning package.

gills

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf