Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Postby WC » Mon May 31, 2010 1:19 pm

head trauma, comas and cigarette smoking also work
Save the Seagulls.
WC
duck diving fool

Postby speelyei » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:13 am

mochas everyday aren't doing anything for my physique, or surfing.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby fossilgrom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Lost about 30lbs over the last year and a half with a very simple approach. First it took me awhile to figure out that no matter how much you exercise, it is all for not if you don't also adjust your diet. I always thought that as long as I was active, I could eat whatever I want - Wrong!!! I ran almost every day and surfed sometimes several sessions a day for two years straight and only dropped about 5 lb from my max at 215. Then I changed my diet as follows:

rule 1 - If you can't kill it, grow it, or harvest it yourself, don't eat it. When I shop I look at the label and if it contains any processed food I put it back. For instance: Processed sugar, corn syrup, etc. - no; honey, raw sugar - yes. Margerine - no; butter - yes. Processed flour - no; whole grains or whole wheat flour - yes. Processed meat sausage, bacon - no; steak, hamburger, chicken, fish - yes.

rule 2 - divide your meals up into proteins, carbs and fats - each meal should consist of roughly 40% good protein, 40% good carbs and 20% or less fats. While in the losing mode go down to about 15% fat in your diet - 20% is a maintenance level. I don't get too scientific, I just try to do this visually on my plate. The goal is to get back to the ideal human diet which is mostly fruits, nuts, berrries, grains, vegetables and a little bit of meat. Keep well hydrated drink lots of water. You can never do soda again (diet or not).

rule 3 - Don't limit your quantities, if you are hungry, eat - just eat right. Eat more than three times a day - that is snack alot on good food. Keep your metabolism up.

rule 4 - Do excersise, but you don't have to over do it for results. Even walking is fine.

rule 5 (the hardest rule for me) - Stop drinking beer. All alcohol is somewhat bad for your diet, but beer is like liquid bread. I switched to wine and still drink almost daily. Wine does not seem to affect my weight like beer does. Anyway - works for me.

I noticed the weight dropping off of me within a week of starting this diet and it has stayed off for more than a year - got down to 169 at lowest, now at between 175 and 180 and holding steady. seems to be a good weight for me. I calculate out at about 17% body fat, which is a good fitness level for someone at 50 years of age. My total cholesterol went from a high of 229 to 160 (no shite!!). I have made the diet a permanent lifestyle change as I don't want to go back to 200 plus again.

and there you have it.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby Doc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:10 pm

You aren't 50...
Are you?

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby fossilgrom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:02 pm

49 - I'll be 50 in January.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby Ceedog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Good rules FG. I stopped the 2 rockstars a day and shed pounds from that alone. Breaking a bone is also great for losing fat/weight. I was up there with you ~225 in Feb., now down to 195. Also you gotta remember alcohol = sugar, sugar = fat.

Also found out the hard way that lots of sugar can lower your thyroid levels which lowers testosterone and good cholesterol, and raises bad cholesterol.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby RXXL » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:31 am

Over the last ten months or so gave up drinking for the most part. Mostly due to house hold budget costs. Lost weight for sure. Now that funding is back in order I want to keep things going this way but still have a drink and a burger and watch the sunset at the local tavern. Like Foss said what you eat is a big part of it too, we eat right, the wife is all over that. Plan on adding some SUP time on the river for an alternet workout. Also I turn 49 this Sunday and have chance to ride some big waves in about four months, at least that's the goal. So the $$$ I don't spend on the beer will go to my Todos gun.
RXXL
the surfing sahib

Postby WC » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:37 am

smoking pot all day keeps the metabolism up without all those pesky calories
Save the Seagulls.
WC
duck diving fool

Postby nm » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:09 pm

nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby nm » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:57 pm

quad dead wrote:Is it me or does everyone look a little bloated...

it's you :lol:

sample of my current workouts....(including the shaving) :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErZ5GjOyas

i really should get Gaz a set of sparring pads...... :lol:
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Spider » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 pm

you doin' crossfit, n?
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby Bubalus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:02 am

for the past couple months every time I get out of the water I have that unpleasant water in the ear feel for a few days. Cant hear so good, I try alcohol in the ear and every trick I know of to get the water out but no dice. I've been surfing cold water for a lil over 10 years now...is this a warning sign of worse things to come? What is the onset of surfers ear like?
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby Doc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Could be it.
I would let it dry out and start wearing plugs now.
I use tack & stik...a big old wad jammed in there works way better than all the other stuff imo.
If you keep the water out it can't get trapped.
But if you need a doc...let me know.
I won't do it...i'm not a real doctor, I don't even play one on TV.
But the guy that did my ears (ear anyway...I only did one since I was already deaf in the other one) is good...not a driller either...micro chisel master.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Betty » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Justvstarted a 12 week prep for my first pro-fit pre comp. Pretty pumped about most of it. ll post some before/after shouts of my stacked physique when I win....or lose.
The service here sucks.
Betty
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm

I am no long fit and I basically eat fruit loops for breakfast, McDonalds for lunch and Dominoes for dinner....good times!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf