Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Postby XBlueSilverX » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:05 am

spray wrote:-- Become a vegetarian or vegan. Impurities get more concentrated the higher up on the food chain you eat. Your organs will thank you. The environment will thank you. Your surfing won't suffer either.

Just my 0.002.

humans are born meat eaters. meat is the only reason we are very intelligent beings. go ahead though, watch your genes go downhill from lack of meat protein.
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

vegan diet

Postby carpenterdan » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:18 pm

actually a vegan diet is the absolute best possible thing that you can do for your physical fitness. i have been an athlete my whole life, and have been eating a vegan diet for three years. at age 30 i am in the best shape of my life. i play soccer 3 days a week, climb hills on my mountain bike i could never climb on a western style diet, and am in much better overall health. the first time i went running after coming off a serious injury i put on my running shoes and went 8 miles like it was nothing. i have had 1 bad cold in 3 years. i crap everyday at exactly the same time.

when it comes to surfing, i can paddle forever and have a recovery time that is far superior to what it was a few years ago.

meat eaters go ahead and slam away. as a vegan i have an average life span 7 years longer than you so i'll be thinking about you from the lineup while you are contemplating your next bypass surgery.
Ah, snug lie those who slumber
Beneath convictions roof-
Their doors are heavy lumbers
Their windows waterproof.
But I sleep cold forever
And cold sleep all my kind
For I was born to shiver
In the draft of an open mind.
carpenterdan
Mermaided

Re: vegan diet

Postby Trunk Monkey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:42 pm

carpenterdan wrote:meat eaters go ahead and slam away. as a vegan i have an average life span 7 years longer than you so i'll be thinking about you from the lineup while you are contemplating your next bypass surgery.

7 years huh? I'll keep that in mind if you name your source. :-s
Trunk Monkey
baitfish expert

Re: vegan diet

Postby Ron Burgundy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:57 am

carpenterdan wrote:actually a vegan diet is the absolute best possible thing that you can do for your physical fitness.

and that's about where you lost me.

don't get me wrong, vegetables serve a good purpose: as side dishes to big fat steaks, or a juicy chicken breast smothered in teriyaki sauce.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:20 am

when there were more than one species of humans on the planet, there were the carnivores and the root/leaf eaters. the plant eaters leveled off and never evoled. The meat eaters, or omnivores, continued to evolve, developing more complex, larger brains due to the animal protein intake.
protien is necessary for the human path.
like i said, you may live a slightly longer life, but if your family line becomes vegans, you will probably level off and be passed by usa meat eaters... in 2000 years vegans will be considered mentally retarded while the meat eaters will be gods.
good luck with that.
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:21 am

one good thing about vegans: we can eat them when we run out of cows.
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby carpenterdan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:21 am

American Dietetic Association study is where I got lifespan information.

The American Dietetic Association, with some 77,000 registered nutritionists throughout North America, put out a statement saying that "appropriately planned vegan diets (containing no animal products) are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and are associated with a reduced risk for obesity, coronary artery disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, and kidney disease. Vegetarians have a 7 year longer life expectancy than non vegetarians."

As for the retarded people that might be down the line for my heirs I would be interested in seeing your source for that information.
But I sleep cold forever
For I was born to shiver
carpenterdan
Mermaided

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:33 am

Mod....you want to shut this down. Surf Related Fitness and Nutrition....not a debate about veggies and carnivores.

And lincolnloglarry....quit trying to convince everyone that we should be just like you.

Yer a veggie...great....who cares.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby type1tim » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:42 am

I'm with you Wilbur. Who cares? Carpenterdan and X are not going to see the same view so why bother.
EMBO
type1tim
Plover Murderer

Postby carpenterdan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:52 am

your right, who cares. i don't care what you eat. the issue is surf related fitness AND nutrition. i was simply relating my experience about my fitness level before and after changing my diet, and was met with some inquiry so i responded with a bit of information that i was asked for.

i am quite certain that if you migrate to a more plant based diet you will have similar results, just like the guy who posted his swimming regimin is probably certain that if you follow a similar plan you will feel the results in your surfing.

i don't think my comments are irrelevant for this topic, but hey go ahead and shut it down it will make wilbur feel better about himself.
But I sleep cold forever
For I was born to shiver
carpenterdan
Mermaided

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:10 pm

lincolnloglarry wrote:i don't think my comments are irrelevant for this topic, but hey go ahead and shut it down it will make wilbur feel better about himself.

Alright listen you myopic toad.....I feel fine about myself whether you eat grass or not. I don't care.

Keep you personal attack BS to a PM if you wish.

Get over yourself.
Last edited by Wilbur Kookmeyer on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:15 pm

carpenterdan wrote:
As for the retarded people that might be down the line for my heirs I would be interested in seeing your source for that information.

don't you watch the discovery channel specials
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:16 pm

and does the quote really say "(containing no animal products)" or did you add that? becuase an "appropriately planned vegan diet" often contains some fish and chicken
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby XBlueSilverX » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:24 pm

and the reason for the extra 7 years (average) is becuase of calories. the fewer calories you ingest, the longer you live, fact.
more caloric intake has been linked to shorter lifespans.
meat eaters can by pass this of course by eating limited amounts of red meat etc, with thier veggies. thus getting the protien the body needs.
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Alright...screw it...I'm in.

Looking at it from a Anthropology view point.....there is a reason I was born with the genes to develop inscissors and canines.....that reason...is meat.

Historically, the fossil record (assuming you believe in it) directly demonstrates the evolution of our diet as a species. From the earliest records of Austrolopithacines to modern man. Docile, Afferensis, even Gracie had large flat grinders for teeth...why? Becaouse their diet was strictly vegetarian.

Once ensephylization (sp?) started to kick in...and tool usage was more common....badabing....a hunting we will go....and we have never looked back.

Could be...in a few more thousand years...our bodies will have migrated full circle and return to a veggitarian diet...and do well with it. But where we are right now in evelotion....sorry....you have a few million years of evolution flowing in your genes that you just can not wish away.

I'm done.
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf