Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:53 pm

Steveo wrote: What is a good way to improve balance in the gym? Since snowboarding is mostly out this year, I'm trying to find other stuff to maintain/improve balance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

skateboarding. even better for your balance than snowboarding and more accesible. skating transitions (ie pools, bowls, half-pipes) best equates to surfing balance but banks and/or hills are great as well.

i've always done both but i can't understand a surfer who is not or never has been into skateboarding.

Postby smithgrind » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:41 pm

Right on Welsh!

I skated way before I ever surfed, but the surf
feel and style was hatched when I stepped on
a skateboard...My surfing would be nowhere
without all the time I spent bombing hills, cruising
ditches, and pumpin' transitions.

Can't agree with you enough! :D
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm

where do you skate smith?

Postby Critter » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:18 am

Guys, I know of a sweet slalom type hill that has to be ridden west of Salem.
All ya gotta do is ask for it.
Critter
over the falls, a way of life

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:44 pm

nice. someone hooked me up with an empty pool in salem a while back. as i get older the idea of bombing hills sounds more appealing than throwing myself down stairs/handrails.

Postby 732002 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:31 pm

Critter: Is that the Salem soap box derby hill?

I worked on my balance today at West Linn sk8 park.

Postby nm » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:35 pm

Critter said "west of salem". The soap box derby hill is downtown. (Bush Park)....unless........there's a new one? (I haven't lived in salem in 14 years.......)
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Re: Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:51 pm

nmm wrote:Here's a thread to discuss to your heart's content (and its health): Surf related Fitness & Nutrition.

Please keep posts on topic. Thank-you.....and happy posting.

nmm

Hmmmmm......... :-k
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby wawaverider » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:01 pm

Good god nmm do you swim that often? I try to get in the pool at least twice a week. When at the pool I usually break it up every time, but there are three things that I always throw in
-300m warmup
-underwater swims
-at least 2X50m sprints

then I try to do calisthenics X3 a week

jog 2-3 X a week (20-30 minutes each run)

I gave up on the weights.
eat and drink in moderation that's is my life.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby wawaverider » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:03 pm

Oh yeah I interchange mountain biking or skating for running when I get the chance. I'm getting old though so I will have to mellow out on the running and skating (I'll still carve vert and downhill until I can't walk)
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby nm » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:12 pm

Yep...I swim that often. :wink:

Although........I definitely need to add weights to my routine. I just don't have the muscle strength (or weight) to power through some of that white water.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby wawaverider » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:35 am

I know that when I was lifting alot of weights I bulked up and couldn't surf nearly as well as when I was just swimming, running and doing a hard-core calisthenics workout. Depends on what you want size and looks or functionality.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:09 am

wawa..i think it depends on more than looks vs funcionality. To surf strongly, with power...you have to posess strength and power.

Quite honestly....the swimming and cardio is going to help very little once you are up and riding on a wave.

The majority of the "functionality" once up and riding is going to come from experience, balance, and strength/power. Your bitchin' lats and tri's from miles of swimming will do you little good when putting a board on a rail and full velocity.

I lift a lot...because I am big...not to get big. I posess a lot of strength and power...and it shows in my surfing. I also posess a lot of experience and balance...which also show.

Do not think that weight traning/strength training will not pay a valuable dividend in your surfing. If you want explosive snaps and gouges...or want to be able to crank a full cut back on a relatively flat 10 foot board...you need power and strength.

Also...strength training..well...the results of strength traning ie: muscles...burn more carbs. The more muscle mass you have...the more carbs you will burn in all movements...even @ rest.

I train on cardio...running...treadmill..i hate it...bores me to death..but it pays off big time in my stamina in the water....once up and riding though...it is the strength of my legs, trunk, and upper body that allows me to surf the way I do.

Wilb.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby wawaverider » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:23 am

Good points Wilb,
It does depend on what a person somatotyping is (what your genetic inheritance is toward that pretty figure). People tend to think the only way to get big and have power is by going to the gym and heaving loads of iron. I'm not a toothpick but then again I'm not huge either (5'7" and 175), I've seen huge guys that shred, but they are fewer and farther in between, just a fact of the matter. Also, to get power in surfing whether it is off the bottom or doing a big gouge I have seen little guys that can put just as much in as a big guy. Ok now I'm sounding wishy washy, but there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule. Do what works for you I guess.
wawaverider
I Macarena in my wetsuit

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf