Change font size   Print view

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Surf Fitness & Nutrition

Postby nm » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:59 pm

Here's a thread to discuss to your heart's content (and its health): Surf related Fitness & Nutrition.

If you'd like to submit specialized workouts or have questions regarding the best way to keep in shape for the big paddle out...........this is the place to do it.

Maybe you'd like to offer a diet regimen that keeps the winter padding at bay.......this (also) is the place to do it.

Please keep posts on topic. Thank-you.....and happy posting.

nmm
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:44 pm

Great idea nmm!

I would like to offer that people should not forget the importance of proper weight training techniques.

A few words from a guy that got big...before he got big.

Bulk does not equal fitness.

Fewer reps of heavier weight are for bulking up. Not advantageous to most of our surfing related goals.

Low weights, high reps is what you want.

Mix it up. Don't try to hit the whole deal in one gym visit.
One day hit 40 minutes of cardio followed by a legs and back workout.
Next hit cardio..and shoulders and tri ceps.
Next hit cardio...and biceps and chest.

Mix it up...every month re-jumble the sequence.

Our bodies are highly eficient machines and will adapt to challenges quickly..at that point...it stops learning and goes on automatic....the result is...less results.

When lifting...always control your balance with your abs. keep your tummy tight. On the extend...go as far out as you can..but DO NOT LOCK OUT! A lock out allows a rest and you cut the effect of the rep in half. On the release....recoil...but do not allow a rest...keep tension..like a rubber band..all the way through each rep.

Stretch the muscle group out between sets.

Control all balance with your abs. Very important. If you feel you need additional ab work...do roman chairs. Crunches are for Infomercial clowns. Remember...you are either genetically predisposed to the "six pack" or you are not. If not...you can do ab work 12 hours a day and not get the washboards.....sorry.

Lift healthy....eat wise...and get your rest.

Live well.

Edit: I almost forgot...Concentrate on the muscles you are working....as well as concentrate on your cardio. Leave the MP3 player in the car. Music is motivating...but it is also very distracting. Live in the moment of the rep...of the peak of the cardio run....you will find that by mentally contentrating on what you are doing you will obtain more results.

Good luck.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby SooLoo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:10 pm

Beer and pork rinds will get you the same thing. Kidding. edited
Last edited by SooLoo on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SooLoo

Postby qball » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:22 pm

What is a roman chair? I once read that the best ab workout is too lie on your back doing a kind of bycycling motion while doing twisting crunches, basically touching opposite elbow to your leg as it comes up. I'm not describing it very well, but it is much more efficient than crunches. Works your whole ab group, sides, top and bottom. No six-pack here, but very solid under the flab.

Also, another tip I picked up is to limit your rest between sets to about 45 seconds. 1) It works your muscles better if they're not resting so much. 2) Gets the workout over quicker so you're not wasting the whole day. I've watched guys spend an hour in the gym and all they did was a few sets of bench presses and curls.

So does sitting on the bottom of the pool holding my breath actually help increase my lung capacity or does it just scare the life guard if she happens to look up from her book?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby SooLoo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:40 pm

qball wrote:What is a roman chair? I once read that the best ab workout is too lie on your back doing a kind of bycycling motion while doing twisting crunches, basically touching opposite elbow to your leg as it comes up. I'm not describing it very well, but it is much more efficient than crunches. Works your whole ab group, sides, top and bottom. No six-pack here, but very solid under the flab.

Roman chair is designed to be used for the lower back, be careful of hyperextention. There are types of roman chair that can be angled for abs, I don't recommend it unless you are advanced.

qball wrote:Also, another tip I picked up is to limit your rest between sets to about 45 seconds. 1) It works your muscles better if they're not resting so much. 2) Gets the workout over quicker so you're not wasting the whole day. I've watched guys spend an hour in the gym and all they did was a few sets of bench presses and curls.

45 sec is too long. 20 - 30 max. You want to keep your weight work moving, I don't recommend more than 40-45 min 3 days a week total. With 30-45 min cardio 5 days.

qball wrote:So does sitting on the bottom of the pool holding my breath actually help increase my lung capacity or does it just scare the life guard if she happens to look up from her book?

It is better to do light activity with breath held rather than sit stationary. Better reflects a thrashing. Work on lengthening your strokes while holding breath. When I know it's big I will stretch my lungs out on the drive, they can be primed like any other muscle. Hope this helps.
SooLoo

Postby nm » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:50 pm

qball wrote:What is a roman chair? I once read that the best ab workout is too lie on your back doing a kind of bycycling motion while doing twisting crunches, basically touching opposite elbow to your leg as it comes up. I'm not describing it very well, but it is much more efficient than crunches. Works your whole ab group, sides, top and bottom. No six-pack here, but very solid under the flab.

I don't know what a "Roman Chair" is either. But a good lower ab exercise is reverse crunches. Lay on your back, arms folded across your chest, legs elevated.....90 degrees at your hips.....(ie: up). In a slow and controlled motion use your lower abs to raise your hips about 2 to 3 inches off the ground. Breathe out on the lift.........hold it for a two count.........then slowly lower your hips. You should only be using your lower abdominals to lift and lower.

qball wrote:So does sitting on the bottom of the pool holding my breath actually help increase my lung capacity or does it just scare the life guard if she happens to look up from her book?

That depends.................does she like you? Kidding. I don't know about just sitting........I suppose it doesn't hurt. I like to do lengths of the pool underwater. On a good day............I can make 50 meters underwater.

n.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby SooLoo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:00 pm

Roman Chair
SooLoo

Postby qball » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:01 pm

Actually I've been working on trying to swim the length of the pool underwater. I'm no where close, but have improved a bit. I sit on the bottom of the deep end more as an exercise of controling my fear than in increasing lung capacity and I do it toward the end of my workout when I'm huffing and puffing. Kind of like after a fast paddle that ends badly.

Funny thing. My biggest death fear has always been drowning, always sure the undertoad is lurking to get me. So what sport do I take up? Surfing of course.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:16 pm

I believe nmm is correct. I have allways swam lengths underwater. I would imagine....even if you can not make an entire length at first....you will eventually...the 1 1/2...2...etc....

SooLoo....that's not what I know a Roman Chair to be. I may be calling it a different name, but the chair I am thinking of is a back pad and two arm rests with grips. Very vertical...designe so that as you support yourself with your back against it and your forearms bearing your wieght, your feet are a feww inches off the ground when your legs are straight. You then...bring your kness up....
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby SooLoo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:34 pm

That is a misc. workout tower (given many names). Really a pull up and dip with a backrest for leg lifts. It is obvious now that I have no life. Happy NewYears!
SooLoo

Postby Stiffler » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:54 pm

What is this called? how do I exercise on this? The wife brought it home...
Stiffler

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:00 am

ghappyt new tears!!!

whoa...too much tequila
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:46 pm

Here's the best I've found...
swimming, weights, indoboard, plus surfing of course...

mixed with the DASH diet. Look it up if you're interested, it's for people with high BP but it's also just a great diet for staying lean and healthy, and for people like me with bad genetics keeping my BP down.

Postby goofyfooter » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:13 am

Swimming, swimming , swimming , swimming keeps my arms from being noodles. Of course the best excercise would be surfing, surfing, surfing, surfing.
goofyfooter

Postby XBlueSilverX » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:31 pm

there are workout regimes specifically designed for firefighters anf thier need for explosive power, leg-arm-back strength and endurance, heart conditioning etc..
want a REAL workout? .. Put a couple 25 or 50 pound sacks or sand on each shoulder and run up and down bleachers.

http://firefightersworkout.com/
i use his program, works great.
The problem with real life? There's no danger music..
XBlueSilverX
flinches for foamies

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf