Change font size   Print view

The Hang Loose Poll

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

When somebody shoots me a hang loose while driving, i usually...

1. Take both hands off the wheel and shoot them a double hang loose back while shouting "YEAH BRO!!!"
4%
2. Smile and shoot them one back, or maybe a peace sign
30%
3. Send one back
13%
4. Send one back with a look of "I don't know you, why am i doing this"
No votes
5. Only send one back if i know them
4%
6. Ignore them
13%
7. Shoot back a pair devil horns and stick my tounge out
4%
8. Give them the finger
4%
9. Swerve into their lane to see just how hardcore they are
13%
10. Turn around and follow them because i have no idea where to surf
13%

Total votes : 23

The Hang Loose Poll

Postby wetchicken » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:46 pm

a question
Did I mention that I'm doing your mom?
wetchicken
duck diving fool

Postby mavericksman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:22 am

dood I only get shakas and actually one of my pinky fingers is kind messed up it likes i'm always throwing on but its all rad. respect.
bombs not bombs
mavericksman
shorepounder

Postby FP » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 am

"shoot a hang loose"?

Throwing a Shaka!

i throw them all the time. that and the thumbs up ala Fonzie.
FP
I think surfers are hot

Postby riverjetty » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 am

I get stinkeye on the road too.
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Postby wetchicken » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:39 am

i learn something new everyday
i guess i mean shaka, not hang loose mavericksman but i think more people know what i mean when i say hang loose

thought this was interesting from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka_sign

The "shaka" sign is a common greeting gesture. It is often associated with Hawaii and boarding sports such as surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding. It consists of extending the thumb and pinky finger while keeping the three middle fingers curled, and raising the hand as in salutation with the back of the hand facing the person that is being greeted; sometimes the hand is rotated back and forth to emphasize the sign. It is also sometimes referred to as an E-E-E[citation needed].

Hawaiian locals use the shaka for various meanings, like "all right", "cool", "smooth", etc. Residents of states other than Hawaii who use the shaka may describe it as meaning "hang loose". It is also used to convey what locals in Hawai'i call the "Aloha Spirit," a gesture of friendship and understanding between the various ethnic cultures that reside within Hawai'i. It can also be used to signal a "hello", "goodbye", " 'till next time", "take care", "Alright!"

It is similar to American Sign Language letter "Y", where a fist is also made with only the thumb and pinky extended.

The sign is often followed by waving as a greeting or acknowledgement. It can be used when driving as a signal of thanks to other drivers (for example, someone who stopped to let another driver onto the road from a driveway).

The shaka sign was adopted as a campaign signal by Frank Fasi, a populist Honolulu politician of the 1970s and 1980s. Argentine football player Luis "Lucho" Gonzalez adopted the gesture around 2003 playing for club River Plate. It was used as a gesture towards fans when he would score. Ronaldinho, who has been awarded FIFA World Footballer of the Year, European Player of the Year, and other awards, also adopted the "shaka."

Pro wrestler Crush used the shaka sign as part of his Hawaiian gimmick in the World Wrestling Federation from 1992-1993.

[edit] Origin
The exact origin of the gesture is unknown and there are several theories.

According to the Honolulu Star-Bulletin,[1] prevailing local lore credited the gesture to Kalili Hamana of Laie, who lost the three middle fingers of his right hand while working at the Kahuku Sugar Mill. Hamana was then shifted to guarding the sugar train, and his all-clear wave of thumb and pinkie is said to have evolved over the years into the "shaka". This story is also told by the Polynesian Cultural Center.[2]

A second theory is that the "shaka" sign had to do with marble playing. The position of the hand after shooting the "kini" (marble) is in the form of shaka. The hand sign came to mean sharp or accurate.[citation needed]

A third theory is that the word was originally "shark eye". Holding the hand with the pinkie and thumb extended represented the shark head, with the thumb and fingers being the eyes. To say "shaka" (or "shark eye") to someone and flash the "shark eye" hand is said to have been considered a compliment, as the shark is highly respected in Hawaiian culture.[citation needed]

[edit] Similar gestures
In Britain and Northern Europe the symbol is used as a signal for owners of older model Volkswagen vans when passing on roads. The silhouette of the hand reveals a "W"-shaped outline along the top of the hand standing for Volkswagen.

In Spain and other Spanish speaking countries, if the thumb points to the mouth, it is used to indicate the drinking of alcohol, since it is similar the shape of a porrón vessel. This is also true in Italy, North America, Russia, and Germany. In Australia, the same gesture mentioned above, refers to "smoking a pipe", more commonly that of marijuana.

In New Zealand, it is used by the gang Mongrel Mob, possibly because E-E-E can be rotated to M-M-M, meaning Mighty Mongrel Mob. Also can mean to smoke P (Methamphetamine) through a glass pipe.

In China, it is also the sign for the number six.

In India and Venezuela, the sign is used colloquially as a reference to sexual intercourse, and the hand may be moved in the direction of the pinky finger, as to mimic penetration.

In Thailand, the sign is used to refer to the country band Carabao (คาราบาว) ,in this case the thumb and little finger representing the horns of the water buffalo, as this is the meaning of the word Carabao.

In Serbia, it depicts the profane slang expression "do jaja". This expression is used to describe something as very good. Literally translated, it means "next to testicles", in a sense that is as "high" as that. Since the middle finger is a symbol of the penis, index and ring finger are considered "testicles", hence the thumb and the little finger are "next to testicles".

A variant of the "shaka" sign is the "call me," in which someone mimes using a phone.In the University of Texas at El Paso the sign is known as the Miners pickaxe and used in football games and pep rallies.

A similar gesture is the "call me" sign, which also has the pinky finger and thumb outstretched, but then also holds it up to the ear, to signify a telephone. This gesture is a common way to silently tell someone to call him or her such as to continue a conversation in private, or that a call has arrived for them which they should go answer.

Other signs close in form are the Hook 'em Horns and corna.
Last edited by wetchicken on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wetchicken
duck diving fool

Postby wetchicken » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 am

and the devils horns are technically "hook-em horns"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_%27em_Horns

This article is about University of Texas at Austin hand gesture. For other uses of this hand gesture, see corna.

A fan displays the Hook 'em Horns during a Texas football game versus Arkansas.Hook 'em Horns is the slogan and hand signal of The University of Texas at Austin. Students and alumni of the university employ a greeting consisting of the phrase "Hook 'em" or "Hook 'em Horns" and also use the phrase as a parting good-bye or as the closing line in a letter or story.

The gesture is meant to approximate the shape of the head and horns of the university mascot, the Texas longhorn steer Bevo. The sign is made by extending the index and pinky fingers while grasping the second and third fingers with the thumb. The arm is usually extended, but the sign can also be given with the arm bent at the elbow. The sign is often seen at sporting events, during the playing of the school song "The Eyes of Texas",[1] and during the playing of the school fight song "Texas Fight". It is one of the most recognized hand signals of all American universities. A variant of the Horns, formed upside down, is often used by rivals of the Longhorns and is considered insulting, especially when performed by a player or coach of the team in question.

History
September 10, 1973 cover of Sports Illustrated.
George W. Bush displays the Hook 'em Horns.Harley Clark introduced the Hook 'em Horns sign in 1955. Clark was head cheerleader at the university, a position that was elected by the student body. "It was second only in importance to the Texas governor," he jokes.[2] Clark got the idea for the hand-sign from his colleague Henry Pitts, who had been casting shadows on the wall at the Texas Union.[3] In addition, the "Gig'Em" thumbs up hand signal created by archrival Texas A&M University twenty five years earlier was growing in popularity across the state and a similar hand signal was desired by the University of Texas.[4] Clark showed an enthusiastic student body the sign a few nights later at a football pep rally at Gregory Gym. According to Neal Spelce, who attended the rally when he was a student at the university, "a lot of people didn't get it right at first,"[5] but it caught on rapidly from there. By the thousands, students extended an arm to create the now famous salute. The next day, at the Texas Longhorn vs. TCU football game, Clark stood in awe as the "Hook 'em Horns" hand sign surged from one side of the stadium to the other.

Within a few years, the symbol was widely known to football fans across the state and country. Sports Illustrated featured the Hook 'em Horns symbol in front of a Texas pennant on the cover of their 10 September 1973 issue (pictured).[6] That issue of the magazine highlighted the Texas football program as the best in the nation at that time.[6] That title was usurped shortly thereafter as the Longhorns proceeded to lose their very next game (Miami-20, UT-13), followed a few weeks later by a drubbing from the University of Oklahoma (OU-52, UT-13).[7]

Beginning in 2004, The University of Texas has featured the slogan in a television advertisement titled "Rallying Cry". The advertisement is one of nine ads that make up the "What Starts Here Changes the World" campaign, all of which are narrated by university alumnus Walter Cronkite. The narration for "Rallying Cry" is:

Is there a rallying cry for the thinkers and doers of tomorrow? A motto that sums up their passion for creativity and their pursuit of discovery? Sure there is: "Hook 'em, Horns". We're Texas. What starts here...changes the world.[8]
The hand gesture is not featured in the advertisement, which shows an aerial view flying along Interstate 35, then over downtown Austin, Texas, past the Texas State Capitol and finally arriving at the Tower of the Main Building as Cronkite says the slogan. The advertisements are typically run during NCAA sporting events.

[edit] Misunderstandings of gesture
In some European cultures, the identical corna gesture is used to suggest spousal infidelity or satanic association. Images of Jenna Bush publicly "throwing the horns" resulted in startled reactions in Norway. In 1985, five Americans were arrested, due to its satanic connotations after dancing and displaying the gesture in front of the Vatican while celebrating the victory of the Longhorns.[9]

[edit] In popular culture
In 2006, country rap artist Cowboy Troy released a single called "Hook 'em Horns" as a tribute to the University of Texas at Austin.
On the Ugly Betty episode "After Hours", Vanessa Williams' character Wilhelmina Slater has to impress a potential buyer from Texas (played by Brett Cullen) and decorates her office with Texas décor. He notices the longhorn on her wall and asks, "You went to UT Austin?" Slater says her assistant went to UT. The assistant Marc, who did not attend UT, responds by saying, "Yes I did. It was so southern. Go Longhorns! Yay! God bless America." Instead of showing the "Hook 'em" gesture, Marc shows the shaka sign.
wetchicken
duck diving fool

Postby nasty » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:48 am

riverjetty wrote:I get stinkeye on the road too.

Stay off my road
nasty

Postby mavericksman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:01 pm

wetchicken wrote:The exact origin of the gesture is unknown and there are several theories.

Doods it's named after the hot chick who will rock you. It's all she want to do. peace.

bombs not bombs
mavericksman
shorepounder

Postby Doc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:51 pm

I think shakas have their place...
Overuse and co-option by the non-surf populace...
Has altogether generally elimated any vitality outside Hawaii...
That said, I have thrown one or two...
Never on the road though...
However, I am big on the "Hook'm Horns"...
The "Rock Block"...
And tha "Finger"...
Speaking of tha "Finger"...
Does he even post on here anymore?

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Yes, but do you hoot Doc.....truly...do you......hoot?
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Doc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:57 pm

Hoot free since 1970 bro...

I may give the occassional nod.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby eastside » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:16 pm

if u have to use wikipedia to descrie a shaka, dont use it...actually, all the oregon bros shouldnt use it at all,its a hawaii thing...so beat it, fakas...
eastside
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Postby Dano » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:43 pm

eastside wrote:if u have to use wikipedia to descrie a shaka, dont use it...actually, all the oregon bros shouldnt use it at all,its a hawaii thing...so beat it, fakas...

Well said brah...

When an Ore-bro-ian throws me a shaka, I just yell "Eh ufaka, NO MAKE!"

Find your own culture and style. Quit stealing from da Hawaiians.

:shock:
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Dano » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:29 pm

SeanCollins wrote:probably just one of the many HI trannies here in oregeon. welcome to oregon now please go home.

Who isn't a transplant in Oregon?

To all mainland haole surfers, please don't be offended by Hawaiians being annoyed with your usage of the shaka. When Hawaiians start dressing like you and adopting your mannerisms and vocabulary merely because its the brotastic thing to do, perhaps you may understand. Or not.
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Dano wrote:Who isn't a transplant in Oregon?

Me.

Born here and have lived here for 23/40 years.

Now as far as all these haoles acting all aloha and crap...I am with you.

Always have believed that.

Take the stupid turtle stickers off your cars. Get rid of the warrior head dress air freshener off your rear view mirror. Quit say "brah". And quit acting like it is all aloha.

Just because you have been to the islands, it does not mean you are from the islands.

I apreciate your culture and history as well as the huge contribution to what it is we all share.

Now to scubies point....

Welcome to Oregon...now go home.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf