Change font size   Print view

Pick a side...

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Give up the spot for the environment?

Hell yes. Principles are principles.
38%
Nope. I am a hypocritical windbag.
25%
Hey..all that four wheelin' on the beach ain't hurtin no birds...no problem here...move along....
38%

Total votes : 8

Pick a side...

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon May 19, 2008 5:53 pm

So everyone was up in arms about the San-O freeway deal and the way it would affect the sand at Trestles and everyone used "environmentalism" as their pitch to get it stopped.

Not hacking, glad it worked...

But tell me...where would you fall in this argument here...

http://www.surfingthemag.com/news/surfing-pulse/outer-banks-beach-access-032408/
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Huh?

Postby montana » Mon May 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Trestles breaks on a series of points that are made up of 'cobbles'; that's round stones of varying diameter, but generally smaller than those found at Tillamook Head, for example. I believe sand is largely incidental to the wave.

The total list of 'environmental' concerns arising from the toll road extension through San Mateo Creek is too long to cover here but includes the following:

-the presence of rare and endangered species of plants, birds, amphibians, mammals, fish and insects,

-sacred Native American burial and (currently in use) ceremonial sites,

-several natural protected areas, wildlife refuges, wetlands, parks and campgrounds, and a couple of...surf spots,

-increased surface run-off and erosion from massive amounts of 'cut and fill' required to build the road on the banks of San Mateo Creek.

The TCA (Transit Corridor Authority) have appealed the decision of the California Coastal Commission to the US Commerce Department. That's an attempt to put the final decision on building the Toll Road Extension into the hands of Bush appointees. If that doesn't worry you, then you're not paying attention.

I think Gordon Smith has a seat on the relevant Senate oversight committee...
montana

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon May 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Yes......and Hatteras......?

Did you have some input on that?
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Trula » Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 pm

I think what they need there is some collaboration and joint fact finding. Then again that is the always the answer in forest policy classes. There may be a solution that does not totally prohibit beach access. Maybe they can just limit the use but a total shutdown may not be necessary
Trula
I embrace my inner tard

Postby nm » Mon May 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Trula wrote: There may be a solution that does not totally prohibit beach access. Maybe they can just limit the use but a total shutdown may not be necessary

What.....like a lottery system? Seems to have worked for the Colorado River. Get your permits in early.....
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby montana » Tue May 20, 2008 4:57 pm

My input on Hatteras and beach driving is that before forming an opinion you may want to gather more facts. Like most forms of popular journalism, who divide content into advertising and 'filler', a case could be made that Surfingthemag exists to sell surf fashion to posers and wannabees. I wouldn't rely on their 'filler' for the full story on a complicated issue.

I've got a surfboard rack on my bike that works just fine on wet sand.
montana

Postby Ceedog » Tue May 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Wilbur Kookmeyer wrote:Yes......and Hatteras......?

Did you have some input on that?

I do. A large percentage of HI is closed to beach driving anyways. Its not like its a free for all and people are killing all the nesting birds. The first beach ramp isn't even until after Rodanthe, even then you can go only so far in either direction.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf