Change font size   Print view

Custom or Off the rack...

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Your prefernce?

Custom
54%
Off the Rack
38%
AB3
8%

Total votes : 13

Custom or Off the rack...

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Wed May 28, 2008 6:23 pm

I honestly do not think this topic has ever really been covered within these pages.

Maybe some loose conversation here and there..but never a concise conversation of the pros ad cons of each type.

So what's it gonna be....

Custom Board?

Or

Off the Rack?

And why?

Bonus conversations can include the merits of buying new versus used....

Enjoy...
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Neck Deep » Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm

I don't find too many 'off the rack' sticks for 30 something, beer gutted, bearded dudes who are holding onto the shortboard dream.... so I go custom. It has taken me years to figure what type of surfboard I think suit my needs and ambitions and I'm not finding them on the shelves of the surf shops, while it seems to make sense to the likes of Art Colyer and Mike Ewaliko...
Neck Deep

Postby Dub Star » Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Have to admit, supprised at what I see in local shops. Quite a bit of varitey and lots of fishes and wider thicker shapes. Rember the Kane Garden surge a few years back. One shop had a rack full of em and it seemed everyone was riding Kenson twins trying to be all light on their feet.

Definatley like to go custom and local but my magic board was a custom for someone else that I ended up buying. Best board ever that I'll eventually have someone local try to duplicate.

Bought more used boards off the rack. But nothin like getting a custom, untill you get one thats not exactly what you were hoping/waiting for. Now that sucks!
Dub Star

Postby speelyei » Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 pm

in another thread, the artist formerly known as Speelyei opined:

I want a big fat floaty log. I only want one fin. I get tired of babying the things and worrying they're gonna get scratched, nicked, dinged, or dented. I eschew the leash and have watched pretty nice boards meet the sand, rocks, and jetty on occasion. I don't wanna feck with wax and I dont want wax all over the top of the car. I never surf with anybody anymore anyways and have no misconceptions about my ability or economic status.

A worn out ST 10' would suit me just fine. I'll find one....
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby riverjetty » Wed May 28, 2008 8:49 pm

Building your own is not an option? I've bought off the rack, and I've built them in the luxury of my garage. Mine are as good as anything I've bought, probably because my surf skills are as mediocre as my craftsmanship, but I see the hobbyist as a viable alternative. I know I'll never buy another board, and haven't bought one for 20 years. I've got one in the garage that's been there for two years, and I haven't even pasted fins on it yet.
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Postby Haole » Wed May 28, 2008 9:16 pm

riverjetty wrote: I've got one in the garage that's been there for two years, and I haven't even pasted fins on it yet.

BLASPHEMY!!
Believe in Darwin; cancer cures smoking.
Haole
the surfing sahib

Postby ghosting » Wed May 28, 2008 9:22 pm

I vote buying used. I've been surfing 2 years now, and have four boards. I haven't spent more than $300 total, granted two of them were hand-me-downs. But still I got my log for $200, it's great - does the job. Got my 7'6" for $100.

Some people will just Craigslist perfectly good boards cheap - either to upgrade or because they give up surfing. The guy I got my 7' from just couldn't bare the drive from Portland any more.

That all said. I'd LOVE a custom board at some point! But it's just not in my budget at all. Surfing is $$$! And when you live an hour 1/2 away it's even worse.

I vote USED > then Rack > then if you can't find what you're looking for > Custom
ghosting
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Haole » Wed May 28, 2008 9:48 pm

I haven't purchased a board since I moved to the PNW. If I do, it will more than likely be a custom. Due to my agreement of what Dub said... There's, seemingly, just not the selection around here. (Perhaps I just haven't been to the right places?) That said, all of my boards are off the rack. But I amassed my small collection where, if you have a little patience and keep your eye out, you'll find what you're looking for.
Believe in Darwin; cancer cures smoking.
Haole
the surfing sahib

Postby smithgrind » Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm

The last two boards I've bought have been a custom and one off the rack.
Getting a custom is great and I like the experience of working with a shaper, getting feedback and general geeking out over the board is cool. However, finding a board off the rack that feels right is pretty rad as well, almost like stumbling upon that "thing" that's been eluding you all this time.
I just considered the last 10 boards I've owned and it's 6 customs and 4 off the racks or used. All but one of my long boards have been customs and I'm sure I will continue to have all my LBs custom shaped.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby King of El Cariso » Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Coostom... Why, My size and the way I ride, BIG, BIG, HARD & FAST... used,if it hits me... Got some good used stuff along the way.... Cust cuz I grew up with the guy who makes my boards and I have yet to bust one.... Mark's Good....
King of El Cariso

Postby Everett Surf Star » Wed May 28, 2008 9:57 pm

Off the rack for two reasons:
1. I want instant gratification and
2. There is no way I can tell the difference between custom and OTR.
Everett Surf Star
secret spots are my forte

Postby lappis89 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Here is the difference between custom and off the rack, IMO.

Unless you have an intimate relationship with your shaper (no, not that way), it is hard to know exactly what you are getting when you get a custom board. In fact, you don't even get to look to the board over before you pay sometimes. It is all about trust.

Off the rack, on the other hand, you can look at the board for a solid period of time, know what you are getting yourself into. And the off the rack board is usually tried and true.
"We'll get him when he comes back in!" . . . .
"He's not coming back."
lappis89
Am I addicted to this?

Postby gills » Thu May 29, 2008 8:31 am

All of the above.

And try to shape at least one of your own boards in your life. I believe in the, 'I must shape at least one board that I ride' mantra but I haven't yet, because I'm sure the board will suck, but I have to do it anyway.
gills

Postby grizldoldfk » Thu May 29, 2008 8:46 am

second hand always. (not even going into the environmental benifits of that)
i've snapped customs in less than a year. i still have second hands that are ridable after i'm done with 'em. i'll never buy a new board either custom OR off the rack...unless it's terribly cheap...
i can tell if a board is good by looking at it and holding it in my hands. laying it on the floor and thinking...i can ride that...i'll give you 75 bucks.
currently i'm riding a magic carpet shaped for a friend by mister pipeline. i could never afford a new lopez...but i'm ripping the sh!t outta this used one, for under 200. going on my third year with it.
people who buy new or custom are...well...they have more money than me i guess.
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby Qurph » Thu May 29, 2008 8:50 am

taken me a loooong list of otr boards (which varied from shitey to pretty good) to get enough experience and knowledge to pick out a good board.

i believe longboards and fishes can be fine w/o being customs. however the nuances of what i want out of a shorty mean that i pretty much have to go custom or i'm compromising.

my best shortboard ever was a carefully thought out and researched custom (stretch f4).

my best longboard - off the rack (robert august wingnut II)

my best fish - off the rack (fineline quad)
living is the leading cause of death, so pick your poison
Qurph
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf