Change font size   Print view

What board do you ride, post pics....?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

What board do you ride, post pics....?

Postby Gazsurf » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Seems the thread took off.......
Last edited by Gazsurf on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby escondido_vida » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:51 pm

5'10 firefly fish, 6'4 JC peter mel surf tech (not a huge fan of the surf tech but the board has been fun), and an 8'3 Jeff Clark mavericks board. i'm buzzzin
escondido_vida
Am I addicted to this?

Postby smithgrind » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:06 pm

escondido_vida wrote: i'm buzzzin

Sounds fascinating. What prompted this buzzin?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby FW » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 am

The mandatory quiver shot. But let's see talk about what's really going on here...

A long time ago, one skateboard would suffice. A primary leisure tool. A weapon. Ridden into the ground. Sure, I'd be attached to it, it meant the world to me but its material life-span meant little. It would be replaced by another disposable tool, whether I had to sell off old Cd's, save my pocket money or beg for a new one. It was the same with surfboards. One board for all conditions. 1' mush to pitching 8'ers (not common in Wales). No debate on what board to paddle out. Grab and go. Again, surf it into the ground.

Then slowly the boy became a man (very slowly). With a job (eventually) that allowed a bit more financial freedom (kind of). Cool, I can finally get good equipment when I need it. But I need it less. Work and family responsibilities do that to you. Still, its nice to have a board that will help me grovel glide in the slop, a board that I can skate big vert on... blah blah...

...the quiver...

What is it? It is a symbol of my highest aspirations and deepest short comings. Let's take a closer look. Right to left.

-Pocket Pistols Lee Ralph, Thunder 149ers, 56mm Spitifre Street Burners. Lee Ralph. A kiwi skate pro who I disliked as a child. Then I began to understand that ugly can be beautiful. A raw attack can be a style of its on. Barefoot roll ins, red beards. This is my 'street' board. An 'adult' street board. 8.25" wide. Let's pretend we can still tre-flip, when all we really want to do is find the closest 6' mini.

-6'4" Ewaliko quad. Not a fish. Not a shortboard. 21.5" wide (shhhh, don't tell). Tired of sinking in the summer slop. No energy to pump my thrusters of yore through marginal surf. This board is my cheater.

-Real Custom Brock shape. A cruiser with 60mm 95a Bullets, attached by loose 139 indys. This is actually a lot more practical than it looks. Races over the rough streets of Portland but it still allows one to bounce off curbs, over train tracks and up Jersey Barriers.

-6'7" North Pacific Quad. Healthy girth. I call this board 'Acceptance.' Acceptance of 30+ year old girth and laziness. But it still allows a healthy turn. If I had to have only one it would be this. Maybe I'd shave it down to 6'6" to feel better about myself. Curren was on a quad on his first J-Bay session... what's that got to do with me?

-8.38" Antihero 149s, 60mm Bones SPFs. The chunky park board for the big stuff. Fancy bearings and retro-fitted Bones bushings... 11' trannies, 1 vert, here we come (occasionally) 10 O' Clock in the pipe (sure, sometime this summer).

-Talk about deepest desires and painful shortcomings. This 6'10" Bryan Bates rounded pin is all that in a nutshell. Oregon winter board that is in almost mint condition because I never surf it. I spend lots of time looking at this one, from December to March, thinking about the lines I'm going to draw on an 8' to 10' face. I spend some time paddling it through tremendous mounds of white water. I even spend a few seconds each winter actually taking off on it, usually into oblivion. Then, I spend even less time racing for the shoulder and very occasional glory, heart racing, eyes about to pop out of sockets, thanking a higher power that I don't believe in.
A higher power that would surely tell me my reliance on these tools to maintain my sanity really is not all that healthy.
FW
Mermaided

Postby riverjetty » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:14 pm

FW wrote: I even spend a few seconds each winter actually taking off on it, usually into oblivion.

I've spent a good portion of my surfing career perfecting that move.
riverjetty
i've put my fin in backwards

Postby Deca » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Deca
Plover Murderer

Postby warble » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 am

got some more tucked in the rafters, but these are the top of the list right now.

from left to right

1. ...Lost Rocket Fish 5'9" x 18.6" x 2.38" shaped by Matt Biolas not a groveler, but works well in small waves with a pocket and a little push

2. ...Lost SDIII 6'2" x 18.5" x 2.25" shaped by Matt Biolas real board for hollow waves with power. my 3rd duplicate of this shape and my favorite go to board in real surf. this guy is unwaxed and waiting for fall

3. MR Mega Quad 6'0" x 19" x 2.4" shaped by Mark Richards with LokBox fins for a little more versatility. i end up riding this one quite a bit in summer. great grovel board

4. MR Retro Single Fin no dimensions listed, I'm guessing 5'11" x 20" x 2.5" token retro hipster board for surfing like shite in shitey waves. fun to try out when i'm board or not that enthused with lackluster surf. currently running a 7.5" Greenough inspired Albacore Flex Fin from Futures. likes thin lipped shortsands

5. 9'2" Northwest Designs longboard shaped by Scott Rowley. great for staying wet and working on falling off the nose. getting way to much use..bring on winter
warble
Mermaided

Postby Doc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:12 pm

That yellow board scares me...

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby Dub Star » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Nice looking quive.

Those MR's look sweet. Hows the LOST glass jobs?

But not a board over 6-2? Bring on winter? Maybe your semi is in the rafters?
Dub Star

Postby warble » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Dub Star wrote:Nice looking quive.

Those MR's look sweet. Hows the LOST glass jobs?

But not a board over 6-2? Bring on winter? Maybe your semi is in the rafters?

Haven't had a problem with any ..Lost glass jobs, yet. Don't really order the boards for durability, all the glass jobs are on the light side but that's what they're shaped for- more response. The factory is still in San Clemente and focused on making hand shaped boards in America, I feel good about buying em.

Got some bigger boards collecting dust, my last "semi" is currently in a landfill. I always save the tails (if possible) of the good ones. Got a replica of this 6'8" x 18.5" x 2.38" on way

[/img]Image
warble
Mermaided

Postby warble » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:31 pm

to many comments and not enough pics!! post em up

that alaia looks interesting. how much does that thing weigh? been in the water yet?
warble
Mermaided

Postby wanty » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:37 pm

I ride this: 6'4'' walden fish

and this: 9'8'' GP
wanty
Site Admin

Postby SlimVest » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 am

greasy Cort Gion 6'0 (semi-retired)

hotdoggin' 6'0 Sunshine South single fin (it was so cheap i don't feel bad letting it collect dust)
isn't this just the totally awesomest pic you've ever seen? i'm a boner who likes to play with his camera.

6'10 Scott Rowley round pin I never use. (my balls are small)

got a couple others that I actually use, but don't have pics handy:
6'5 thruster
5'11 speed dialer fish
9'0 Tuel 2+1 that i need to pay for
SlimVest
baitfish expert

Postby Dub Star » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:57 am

You're obesesion with boners and hotdogs is starting to scare me.

You got Tuel to shape you a board?
Dub Star

Postby smithgrind » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 am

I'm always feeling guilty for having, what I deem, is too many boards. This thread seems like a good vehicle for board therapy.

So, here is the line up.
L to R
7' Hammer by Corey Davis. Great pickup for two bills used. Winter assault board when I get off my depressed @ss and quit dreaming of moving somewhere warm.

6'6" Tuel twin fin. Way too big, way too floaty and way too fun. My summer short LB. This is a board Mike shaped when Will Jobson was hanging out for the summer. The glass on fins are amazing.

6'4" New Sun. First board I ever bought. Flat, thick, very mid 80's. My fave thruster of the lot.

6'4" Bill Johnson CJ Hobgood Fishy S core. Great travel board. Lightweight, stiff, good groveler and I'm not worried if it gets dinged up.

6'2" Campbell Bros. Bonzer egg. A smaller sized egg with bonzer performance. Super fun, yet you can gouge like fiend. My new fave squeeze.

9'4" Tyler 305 model. What riding a traditional log is all about. Not that I know dick about what that is...
smithgrind
greystoke

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf