Change font size   Print view

Introduce Yourself Here

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Tex, I think it's just a matter of time before Oregonsurf suffers a renaissance. There's going to be a new generation of up-and-comers and people will get sick of the mind suck that is FB. There's an appeal to not having a spell chec, not having sentences finished for you and no algorithms dictating what you see.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 am

As for the mega "court licensed photographer" kook, my fantasy is that he called the sheriff and let the sheriff watch his footage. Sheriff can only stomach up to the 3:00 minute mark and promptly starts beating the dude before arresting him for feloniously kookery Section-442.19.

To me it's not so much of a worry knowing about the spot. Everyone knows about it. Cat got out of the bag a long time ago. I had a guy bring it up to me in Peru! The problem is showing people how it works, and when it's good. Allowing footage puts a place on the forefront of people's minds and increases their likelihood of visiting. Good spots have a "musical chairs" dynamic. It's a preventative measure in that respect. On top of that, spots that are good are often special places regardless of whether or not they're surfed. More people equals more disrespect to the place it's self in the form of pollution and overcrowding. Places like that deserve a decorum that prompts stewardship, etiquette and general good behavior. I think of good spots like they're an actively used temple. One does not just walk into the middle of baptism in whatever religious ceremony and start sticking their camera into everyone's grill for example. Similarly blowing a place up with images is simply bad form. I feel the same way with photos of swimming holes, waterfalls, caves, etc.. There's plenty of places set aside or not threatened that are sanctioned for images if people carry a sense of judgement derived from respect for nature. Take video of Shorties, PC, Agate all day long. Those places are set aside. That's my take at least.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:03 am

Photog's a wingnut but so are 50% of people in Oregon. Violence is never the answer and stupid. Maybe in extreme cases of self defense. All and all ridiculous privileged white boy shite. Don't even care. Seems like people should just surf and shut the F up.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:46 pm

I dropped FB five years ago....dinking around on instagram but OSP is still my social media of choice....seriously Betty and Plover, you can come back now.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Wanty....we need like a thumbs up or down option for quick responses like on Slack or some shite like that....so I can give ML a thumbs up.
Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Its funny, Pra's last post was like three years ago and he still has double mine =)
Tex

Postby erzats » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:49 pm

re-introducing:

My name is Faron, I live in Victoria BC. I've surfed for 13 years now but still suck at it and mainly surf a longboard. I have good years and bad years for waves. I took up long distance trail running 5 years ago (it's popular now like surfing was in 2004, when I started that). So, I spend a lot of my time training. But, I'm forcing myself to mix it up and tolerate the uncertainty of surf for the greater potential bliss it can offer. Still, I prefer the overall certainty of enjoying a run regardless of condition.

Aside from that, I am a scientist by trade. I study recent climate. I ski and do other stuff white people like (yoga, coffee, etc.).

If you are ever headed up this way (Vancouver Island) let me know. I'll show you around. It's a PHENOMENALLY beautiful place.
erzats
core!

Postby pra_ggresion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 am

Tex wrote:Its funny, Pra's last post was like three years ago and he still has double mine =)

Right, I saw that and was like "was I that dedicated to this site?" Dang.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby pra_ggresion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:29 am

What up Faron, live at the coast now and ran into Tippy Toes a few times but then she disappeared again. Heard she was super into trail running in Norcal also. Always enjoyed your science facts and links to resources.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 am

My name is John....holding down PDX for the last 16 years. Did a tour in Manzanita back in 94, living there full time, surfing all day and bar tending at the Dune every night. Now I have two little dudes- 12 and 14 who are dabbling in surf but mostly love to skateboard (downhill/street/park). We have been hitting the Windell's indoor skate park most weekends.

I have buddies who are surfing mostly central coast and NW Washington. I usually hit N. Coast spots.

I have surfed as far north as Yakutat and and far south as Witches Rock. I have surfed many times in the Texas Gulf.
Tex

Postby bluesilver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 am

My name is Bluesilver.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:34 pm

So SKURRED
Tex

Postby wyosurf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:09 pm

wyo over here on the eastside with no surf. golden handcuffs keeping me here. i disc golf instead of surf, it's a lot easier.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
--Lucius Annaeus Seneca
wyosurf
I've got Daddy issues

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Hey Wyo....what would you do if they dropped the KSW in your backyard?
Tex

Postby wyosurf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

well I still have a board and wetsuit, so i'd dig those out and try to remember how to shread (not sure i ever did actually shread, so i'd kook it up like i used to)
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
--Lucius Annaeus Seneca
wyosurf
I've got Daddy issues

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf