Change font size   Print view

Introduce Yourself Here

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby pra_ggresion » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Ha, never put that together. Agate and everywhere looks pretty fun right now, wish I could go.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Tex » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Oh and BOX- after your session, be sure to report back in the Nov Session thread so all of us losers that didnt get to surf today can live vicariously through your epic session....feel free to embellish wave height and barrel time as much as you want.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby BOX » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:57 pm

That's hilarious, Tex. When I was out on Saturday, I was hopping back on my board after totally wiping out, ... er, I mean, catching a glorious wave, and had my leash all wrapped around my ankles. Instantly thought of this. So, yeah. Mermaid :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby X-squid » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:41 pm

WOAH - a new name. Welcome to the shite show. I've been hitting the central coast quite a bit more these days BOX (have unlimited access to a place in LC now,) so I'll watch for a bright green boogie board next time I'm out. I too accept craft Oregon beers as a sort of alms, but unlike pra you can leave the Rainier, et al at home. :D
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Nice work BOX, and thanks for the report...at least your getting water time which is really all that matters.
Tex

Postby BOX » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi X-squid! Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the welcome!
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Clamchowdah » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Whatsup everyone. Clamchowdah here, first time post, have been lurking on the site for a couple months now.

Grew up snowboarding in New England and surfed sporadically in a few different places from New Jersey to Maine. I now live in WA somewhere along the I-5 corridor, ditched the snowboard and the lift tickets and now surf every weekend or whenever my work schedule allows it.

I’ve surfed everywhere in OR/WA from Manzanita to La Push to SOJDF; the last of which, despite being fickle as a pickle, is my absolute favorite place to surf up here when it is working.

I would assess my ability level as intermediate. My biggest obstacle right now has to be paddling technique/swimming fitness. I can consistently ride and maneuver on larger waves for a relative novice (head high and overhead +), if I can make it out the back. I am a bigger guy who is in pretty good shape as required by my job but I simply need more reps paddling out in big surf, and am trying to incorporate more swimming into my daily workout routines. I have definitely gotten my fair share of thrashings and caught in a couple scary rips, which has been humbling and taught me that Sometimes it’s better to improve just from being at the beach and watching the break work without risking your life or that of others.

I have found the reputation for confrontational localism at the “notorious” breaks to be largely unfounded as long as you show respect in the lineup. Everything that I’ve experienced has been a lot of bark and not a whole lot of bite. Perhaps some of it is my fault for being generally competent on spot recons and stumbling on someone else’s treasure. I think it’s all absolutely worth it though. I’m extremely grateful to be able to live in such a majestic part of the world and surf in these pristine areas beholden to such natural beauty. I certainly understand the intent behind trying to protect it!

Overall, Ive caught the bug. I’ve resolved to live near the ocean for the rest of my life. As a twenty something working 60-90 hours a week, this sport has been a godsend the last couple years. Whether it’s challenging myself physically and mentally, becoming immersed in nature, or simply using it as an excuse not to go out and party with my peers, I cannot stress what a positive impact surfing has had on my life.

Perhaps the biggest lesson I’ve learned - if you seek it, you shall find!
Clamchowdah
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Well done Chowdah, great post! Welcome to this crusted over crew of maybe 6 guys. All holdovers from a time when the OSP was hip and this technology (chatrooms) was actually cutting edge. Except for BOX of course, the rookie is holding his own.

Have to agree, when the Strait is on....it is really really hard to beat, so many little treasures up there for sure!

Looking forward to your surf reports, be sure to fire away any questions, we cover a lot of ground as you might have seen if you went through our older posts, flavor of the hour has some nuggets as well as what stokes me and what pisses me off.

Check out the OSP_Oregon Surf Page on Insta, some cool pics there and if you want admin rights, PM me and we can work that out so you can add pics there.

Glad you finally dropped in bro.

Tex
Tex

Postby BOX » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Yeah, no longer the new guy! Well, in regards to the forum, at least...

Welcome, Chowdah! I'm still relatively new around here, but these folks have been nothing but welcoming to me and I very much appreciate the time that they've taken to educate me and answer my questions. Best of luck, and see you around the forum.
Last edited by BOX on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby bluesilver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:39 pm

There's no surf in Washington or Oregon.
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Tex » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm

or in Canada or in Alaska
Tex

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Howdy Howly..... Figured this place still got lurked. Sounds like you'll right in. Welcome. Nice avatar BTW.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Spent » Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am

Howly Wolf wrote:-- shredding. .

Let's unpack that word. I've got some friends who even refer to it as the 'shred life.' I nearly shite myself every time I hear it.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf