Change font size   Print view

Introduce Yourself Here

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby INTERN » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 am

Ha ha. Seriously dudes, I been out at steamers hella times... Cold Water Classic is fun to watch..
INTERN
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:23 am

Ah gottcha...... not from CA but spent 6 or so years living and surfing between OBSF and Santa Claus. Kinda regret leaving and wonder why peps from costal CA move to the Portland area. We have the same problems up here these days, traffic, cost of living, homelessness, filth, and your almost 2 hours from the surf!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Rizenshine » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello! Nice to meet you. I just moved to the PDX area from Boston so am no stranger to driving for hours to chase mushy, blown out, cold slop. I look forward to NOT snaking your waves, NOT paddling across your line and NOT getting my tires slashed. Thanks in advance!
Rizenshine
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:18 am

Howdy Rizenshine! Welcome to the very old, very outdated Oregon Surf Page post board. You are wading into a very small community of posters that don't rely solely on Insta/FB/Pin/Twit to talk surfing. Think of this group as more "long-form". How did you find this crusty outpost?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Oh no a Masshole transplant. Thought I lost all of you 28 years ago when I moved out here :lol: JK Beantown is a pretty fun city. Not sure where your zones were, but you'll prob miss the points and reefs in New England that hold legit swells when they do come. I know I do esp hurricane swell in boardies. Those set ups are few and far between in Oregon yet there is plenty of legit swell often to much. Also hard to find a stretch of concentrated serviceable beach break peaks like the Cape. Otherwise you'll prob like it out here as it seems more and more people are these days. And don't call it Oregaan like my old man.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Rizenshine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Crusty outposts are kinda my thing. Especially those in the PNW (I’m originally from north of Seattle). I played in the water all over New England for the last few years but Rhode Island was my go-to. I loved the books and crannies and the vibe in the water didn’t have angry transplanted Californians. I’m a little nervous about that here and luckily have yet to encounter although my sample size is only a few sessions. Hoping to increase that soon but haven’t found the right cadence for beach trips from greater PDX. Aiming for midweek during the fall but we’ll see how that goes...
Rizenshine
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:20 pm

North of Seattle.....hmmmmm thats a broad territory. I grew up in Seattle proper- Queen Anne west of Lake Union and north of the Seattle Center. Have you surfed in WA?
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 am

Oh eh Warshington... got it! Interesting to hear your perspective on New England Rizenshine, you being a PNW native.

And yeah the Ocean State of mind! Forget which cane swell this was have surfed so many over the years.

Its a bit of a freefrawl these days, but used to be a bit of localism here. Luckily I have island blood lines, so never had issues. Either way was never to bad, people have decent manners, and if they don't they get called out. All and all a pretty chill scene esp when it cold. Same goes for around here for the most part. Don't sweat it and just get out dere!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Rizenshine » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Tex wrote:North of Seattle.....hmmmmm thats a broad territory. I grew up in Seattle proper- Queen Anne west of Lake Union and north of the Seattle Center. Have you surfed in WA?

From Everett, originally. And only surfed Westport once, recently. Would love to get back out there though.
Rizenshine
Mermaided

Postby bluesilver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:36 am

Rizenshine wrote:
Tex wrote:North of Seattle.....hmmmmm thats a broad territory. I grew up in Seattle proper- Queen Anne west of Lake Union and north of the Seattle Center. Have you surfed in WA?

From Everett, originally. And only surfed Westport once, recently. Would love to get back out there though.

Howdy, I am in Seattle too
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Tex » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Blue- you been up there this whole time? Get the Strait much?
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Tex wrote:Blue- you been up there this whole time?

From my recollection, Masshole.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Will have to go back and search the archives I guess....
Tex

Postby McDing » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:19 pm

So much for “Intro” threads.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby dtrn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Adhering to protocol thanks to Haole Wolf and Tex.

I ride mid length and logs because I am 40, and I live 2 hours from the ocean in the gorge.
I lived in Washington, moved to norcal 15 years ago for work, learned to surf, moved back 5 years ago.

Spent a lot of time paddling out in santa cruz, big sur, OBSF, San Mateo and Humboldt.
Surfed almost every day for 10 years. Lucky to get it once a week these days!

I gained 25 lbs as a result of moving from the coast and not surfing every day.
Still stoked, but much fatter.

I'm also a ski bum wandering the cascades, sierras and rockies.
But enough about me ....

Cheers
dtrn
Mermaided

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf