Change font size   Print view

Introduce Yourself Here

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:01 pm

How many OSP name changes have you all gone through??? I was JMorris for years until someone with my same name got all pissed off and thought I was going to ruin his reputation.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby bluesilver » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

Just this one.Image
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby bluesilver » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am

This Red/Blue Fox cross followed us around while we fished and stole our catches from the tundra/beach.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 pm

awesome pics Blue!
Tex

Postby BOX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi. Iā€™m Box. Iā€™m new here.

Iā€™ll just get this out of the way now: Iā€™m not a very good surfer. You all seem pretty advanced. Iā€™m not, but Iā€™m working to get better.

Background:

Iā€™m a guy in my early 40s. I moved to the central OR coast from the PDX area coming up on about 5 years ago now. A few summers ago my in-laws came to town and my wife, my nephew, and one of my daughters took some surf lessons. They loved it. My wife wanted to start getting into surfing. She started purchasing gear for herself and wanted me to get into it as well. I was reluctant at first since I didnā€™t know if this was just a phase and equipment is expensive on our modest budget. But, thinking it would be something fun to do as a couple, I went along with it, saved up my own money, and got gear for myself as well.

Turns out I love surfing. Again, Iā€™m not very skilled, but I love being in the water and try to get out whenever conditions and my work schedule align. Iā€™ve got a regular M-F 40-hr job, so basically Iā€™m a weekend warrior. Since Iā€™m on the central coast, Iā€™m usually at Agate or Otter Rock. Unless conditions are just flat out terrible, I usually get in a couple hours per week. Been doing this for a couple of years now.

Other than a single lesson in FL over a decade ago, Iā€™m basically self-taught. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s evident. I ride an 8ā€™ soft top. My pop-up is slow and ugly, but I can get up on my feet fairly regularly and ride a wave in. I spend most of my time in the whitewater. Pretty much all of my attempts at ā€œdropping inā€ have been disastrous (though Iā€™m sure entertaining to watch). Still out there trying, though.

I tend to be a bit of an introvert, much to the detriment of my progress. I donā€™t know a lot of people in my area, and no one else who surfs. I typically go alone or occasionally with my wife. She has her own soft top, but most of the time she prefers to body board. I came across this page trying to learn how to better read conditions and found your monthly surf report discussions. I typically use Magic Seaweed for forecasts, but recently started using Look as well based off a post I read here.

After stalking for the past few months, I finally got over myself and registered so I can try to take part in more surf discussions with the hope of learning more about surfing and becoming a better surfer all around. I have no delusions that Iā€™ll ever be Kelly Slater, but itā€™d be nice to progress to the green water.

Nice to meet you all and thanks in advance for letting me hang out here.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby bluesilver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Sounds like you're intelligent - you know how to write a biography.
Welcome to the group. Sounds like you get more surf time in than most here.
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Tex wrote:How many OSP name changes have you all gone through??? I was JMorris for years until someone with my same name got all pissed off and thought I was going to ruin his reputation.

What a missed golden opportunity to ruin someones reputation. Could you imagine him thinking there was a flamboyant cruisin surfer Furry out there with the same name? SMH.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby bluesilver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:50 pm

hahahaahahahaaaaaaaa
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm

What up BOX, Otter is a pretty good beginner spot. Agate can be but it's not as frequently user friendly. You can always ride whitewater at pretty much any sandy beach regardless of how big it is. I'd say if you want to improve, watch longboard videos that show people fading in towards the peak as they drop in. Keep your knees together and place your sternum so about 5% of your board is sticking out of the water. Bring beer with you anywhere you go in case you see a person with a silver Tacoma. Go give that person beers. Quality Oregon beer too, none of that carbonated rice alcohol pisswater. Except for Rolling Rock, Ranier, and Olympia tallboys. Maybe Pabst but that's cutting a close line buddy. May wanna have a J or two handy as well now that I'm thinking about it.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Box- welcome to the OSP, been a while since we got fresh perspectives on here. As you can see, shite talking comes with the territory.
Tex

Postby BOX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Thanks for the welcome, bluesilver and pra_gression. I appreciate it.

Videos are where I typically go for learning technique. Replicating that technique, however, is another matterā€¦

Thanks for the tips. Chances are looking pretty good that Iā€™ll be in the water tomorrow morning putting them to use. Was thinking Otter since Iā€™ve been hitting Agate for the past few weekends. If you see a kook with a bright green starter board falling over head-first trying to drop in on a wave, that just might be me. :D

Iā€™ll make sure I have a couple of cold ones and rolled ones on me just in case I see any silver Tacomas. 8)
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby BOX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks, Tex. I appreciate the welcome. And whoever was previously the low person on the proverbial shite-talking totem pole, consider yourself relieved :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Box....are you curious as to why you have the mermaid moniker under you name? I can give you the backstory on that label if you are so inclined.
Tex

Postby BOX » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 am

Well, Tex, now I have to know...

Heading out to Agate this morning. Have a good day everyone!
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 am

Good on ya BOX....hope you score some fun rides.

So back in 2012 my boys and I created a document called Surf Slang. We had about 6 pages of "terms" to describe surfers or to describe things that happen while surfing.

I sent the whole thing over to Wanty- one of the original site administrators and he really loved "Mermaided". This is an example of how the term would be used:

Surfer 1
Wow....Jimmy has been underwater after that set wave for like 3 minutes!
Surfer 2
That kook has been missing all his drops and he is probably getting mermaided down there right now.

Now visualize a rookie kook struggling to get back to the surface but having thrashed about so wildly that the leash has been completely wrapped around both legs from the ankles to the thighs creating what might appear to be a mermaid underwater.

So Wanty decided that all new OSP'ers with posts under like 100 get the mermaided title.

Enjoy!
Tex

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf