Change font size   Print view

Swaylocks---------General Discussion----------Gulf

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Swaylocks---------General Discussion----------Gulf

Postby McDing » Sun May 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Don't know how to link it. Always seem to screw it up. Maybe our good "Editor in Chief" or one of our wonderful mods could help me out and link it for us. Besides a few benign comments by yours truly( benign meaning I have toned down my rhetoric with age) One of our local boys from Coos goes off. Some of you will see thru the "psuedom". Obviously off the meds and not "high" enough( on surfing that is). The overall thread is good and offers diverse opinions and concern by all.

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/gulf
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Re: Swaylocks---------General Discussion----------Gulf

Postby Ceedog » Mon May 03, 2010 1:52 am

Made it through at least one psuedom...
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Spent » Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 am

Actually our friend Tony seems to be making some sense over there. At least more than the Limbaugh listening lunatics who are insinuating someone like Earth First is behind it...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby McDing » Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 pm

As an individual I certainly am no "conspirocy theorist". That should be easily understood by reading any post I may have made on said thread. I have in my jaded life lived in places where every morning I woke up to a new or latest "conspirocy theory". I am a realist and always cautioned my aqaintances to look at the bigger picture. Pro or Con. I served as Vice Chair of a large Surfrider Foundation chapter during the "90"s. Large geographically and a reasonable # of active members. We had alot of ground (access), beach and water quality to cover. We were ahead of the curve by the way in all categories and goals. Primarily because aLL of our members were dedicated to the cause. We were also beset by what I have called previously "the largest intentional oil spill within the Continetal US". The Guadulupe Dunes/San Luis Bay/Unocal disaster. It appears that the Dunes Spill will no longer have the distinction of being the biggest in the Continental US. In fact during that period of time and since, it got little press or National attention. Can we say Snowy Plover, Kit Fox, a plume of distillants seeping up from below into one of the best and most radical barrels north of Point Conception? The complete tear down and rebuild of a town? As a public point man I toured the site with Reps from Unocal, Calif Water Quality, the Sierra Club, Heal the Bay and other groups that had joined with Surfrider in class action. More strength in #'s. There was however one group not involved in that action that held Unocals feet to the fire and evenually resutled in their responsibility financially and legally for the spill. That would be Earth First. I would never be suprised that some chapter of Surfrider would align themselves with a violent and destructive terriost group such as EF, as most chapers of Surfrider operate within a frame of autonomy. But I would think that any legitimate enviro group or environmentalist, surfer or boater, outdoorsman etc. Who is concerned about the quality and state of our environment, ocean, lakes and bays would gain little other than scorn by defending or being associated with in any way such a hateful group of dispicable terriosts. IMHO Lowel
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Spent » Mon May 03, 2010 8:49 pm

When I think of environmental terrorist groups, BP, Shell, Chevron and Exxon usually come to mind before EF.
Spent

Postby McDing » Mon May 03, 2010 9:24 pm

I won't defend the Environmental records of the Oil companies. They have their own press agents. But if your sympathies lie with the terriost organization Earth First; Put your money where your cute little comebacks are and ditch your petro based surfboard, wax, wetsuit etc. Maybe consider giving up your litle gas guzzling car and those trips over from PDX. Because remember; with every gallon of gas you burn your support those oil company terriosts that come to your small mind. Broaden you horizons a bit or stand up for what you believe and give it up all together. Talk is cheap, Bro.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby McDing » Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Editor or Mods---------thanks for doing that link. Stimulating and thought provoking thread to say the least.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue May 04, 2010 9:44 am

ditch your petro based surfboard, wax, wetsuit etc. Maybe consider giving up your litle gas guzzling car and those trips over from PDX. Because remember; with every gallon of gas you burn your support those oil company terriosts that come to your small mind. Broaden you horizons a bit or stand up for what you believe and give it up all together. Talk is cheap, Bro.

That's a fallacious line of reasoning. Even if every surfer suddenly quit all those things became subsistence farmers and never moved 50' from where they live, then it still only simulates forestry a la snipping a few leaves from a jungle. There is one and only one problem on this planet and that's called OVERPOPULATION.

In the meantime BP is at the forefront of destroying what was once beautiful; so yes, they are "environmental terrorist."
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Spent » Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 am

Point taken McDing. I cringe everytime I pull up at the gas station or put my foot down on the gas pedal. It is a massive ethical compromise that I struggle with daily but I readily admit I'm too selfish and self-centered to give up the auto and stop surfing,(more thoughts on that here: http://www.phoresia.org/?p=407) so I try to do my part in other ways. Not that I have to prove myself to you but since you asked, I spent years involved in various voluntary conservation and social justice efforts. No need to get personal, 'bro.'

I suppose my only point was, the 'terror' caused by the direct action of eco-groups such as EF, pales in comparison to the terror caused by big oil in their pursuit of what fuels our disgusting lifestyle. Case in point, Shell's destruction of the Ogoniland in Nigeria and the death of Ken Saro Wiwa and now BP in the Gulf.
Spent

Postby Gazsurf » Tue May 04, 2010 10:48 am

Accessories...... every last one of you.
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby bluesilver » Tue May 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Also be sure to properly dispose of your plastic tupperwares, televisions, toys, computers, chairs, carpets,......
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Doc » Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Nothing like a good ecological disaster...
To fire up us left-wing Obama-loving liberals

doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby McDing » Tue May 04, 2010 5:56 pm

ALL of you are right of course and your points are well taken. If everyone who has posted on this thread and the Sways thread gave up all the above mentioned things, it wouldn't make a dimes worth of differance. Primarily because everyone around us would go about their wicked selfish ways. Those of us who have a twinge of conscience can only do what we can to ease that conscience. I can only disagree with one of you and that would be Doc. This grevious dissaster hasn't got a darned thing to with Obama and the Dems.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Doc » Tue May 04, 2010 6:53 pm

No surprise there Lowell...
Appreciate the commentary across both boards...
And even your take...
My snarky comment was sarcasm...
It's pretty much uncontrollable...
In the best or worse of situations.

Doc
Doc

Postby Doc » Tue May 04, 2010 6:57 pm

However...
And I do believe this...
Right or wrong...
It is an episode like this...
That snaps people out of inertia...
And gets them motivated to do something...
Like back environmental regulation and laws...
Until seems settle back into apathy.

Doc
Doc

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf