Change font size   Print view

Aspiring Kook

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Aspiring Kook

Postby Captain Howdy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 am

I have never surfed before. I am still a relatively young man coughthirtyonecough and am going to get in the water this summer and see what happens. I don't have a problem admitting that I know nothing about surfing so I'd like to bounce some dumb questions off you guys. I also don't mind being flamed. I'm a big boy.

1) I bought a used wet suit this week for $20. I then noticed that most lessons come with boots and gloves. Are boots and gloves recommended for enjoyment, or are they necessary for safety reasons? I'm not afraid of being cold but I don't want my feet to turn blue and fall off.

2) So I'm going to take a lesson. I'm athletic and am confident that I can stand up. After that, and I try to do it on my own, will other surfers give me a hard time or will they be friendly as long as I stay out of the way? I imagine some people are friendly and some people are penis craniums, just depends on the human being.

3) Sharks. Umm, yeah, sharks?

I would appreciate any other advice you can give me, beginner spots etc. And don't give me that quit before you start BS.
Captain Howdy
Mermaided

Re: Aspiring Kook

Postby Doc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 am

A $20 wetsuit will probably work like a $20 wetsuit...
You'll want boots, gloves you can do without...
A lesson is unnecessary in my opinion...
Being athletic has little to do with...
Learning how to surf...
You might stand up on your 1st day...
You might not stand up on the next 30 days...
If you last beyond the first go round...
Paddle alot if you can get out past the whitewash...
Paddle to where there is no one else...
Not to where there are people surfing...
Don't just sit there...
If you can't paddle effectively...
Then you won't catch a wave anyway...
You will most likely be ignored...
If you get in the way...
You will get hassled...
Yes there are sharks...
Your chances of encountering one...
Goes up if you start surfing.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby MC » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 pm

surfing sucks. don't try it.
60% of the time, it works every time.
MC
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby wanty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:44 am

1) used wetsuits have been urinated in, guaranteed.

2) A lesson could help depending on who gives it.

3) yes there are sharks but you shouldn't worry about them. Browse through this site you'll find a list of all attacks when and where; http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/
heres a good list of whats happened on the pacific since 2000. probably not exhaustive but pretty good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4) welcome!
wanty
Site Admin

Postby brobra » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 am

I like how none of the fatal attacks were on surfers. but I didn't know one of the attacks was at Shorties....
Whose got snaps on the petro?
brobra
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Postby Tatonka » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

I was surprised to see Shorties on the list too. I've heard accounts of all the other attacks but never anything from Shortsters.

Cpt Howdy, stay away from the OSP it will ruin your undying stoke.
can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tatonka
duck diving fool

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

We surfed an am session the day that attack happend at Shorty's. We were coming back for an evening session and everybody was talking about the attack. It happened relatively close to shore if I recall correctly.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Wrong...just checked the dates...I was talking about the attack at Shorty's back in 94.

Saw a very large shark when surfing out front in Manzanita...that one skared the shite outta me.

I was surfing with Tommy Innouye and for basically being one armed, that guy was WINDMILLING it back to the beach after he saw it.

Hilarious.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Doc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 pm

I surfed at Shortys...
The day after the 94 attack...
I didn't mention to the guy I was with...
I rationalized that the shark had swum...
Far away by that time.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby brdsurf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:21 am

Aspire to be a kook.....
everything else will fall into place. Dont think you will just pick it up and be proficient in a year or so. Keep in mind some people take decades to just master the basics, while some after just a couple months think they have mastered the basics.

Oh, and stay out of the way.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Tatonka » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:37 pm

so did anybody on here ever hear about his 2006 attack at Shorties? Considering that the 2005 attack made national news I would have thought I'd hear something about one at Shorties the next year...
can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tatonka
duck diving fool

Postby fossilgrom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Hey Cap'n,

I'll assume your legit and will give you some advice.

Get a good wet suit. 5 4 with a hood - 4 3 will work but when the water gets cold you'll be glad you got the 5 4. Don't matter which brand. Plan on spending at least $200 to $250 or more for the suit. Don't need gloves for most of the year so don't spend the $. Do get some good comfortable booties. I'll assume you are average weight and height. Rent nothing less that a 9'-6" to start out on. If you are starting out with zero water experience rent for awhile before you buy. When you buy, don't let some clown try to sell you a 6'2" tater chip - go big at first - a long board will always be useful in your quiver and you can always work you way shorter...if you want to. Start in the summer - Now would be a good time. Go as often as you can. Infact, if you are serious, move to the coast. Build upper body strength as much as possible. Do take one lesson. One should be enough. Learn the rules of the road. Be polite, but there will come a time when you should try to get out to the lineup and get a wave - do it. You will get yelled at - so what - just do your best. Surfing is the best thing you will ever do for yourself.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby H. Stamper » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am

Best thing ever, but can also be a curse depending on how you look at it or where you live. The key is frequency. Don't think your gonna learn to surf by going once a month or year, go as much as possible.
Real men/women ride logs
H. Stamper
Mermaided

Postby speelyei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 pm

captain, where do you live? A friend with a few years surfing under their belt would be the ideal accoutrement, and may not cost you anymore than a couple beers.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Captain Howdy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the sincere and encouraging replies :D You never know what to expect from a message board.

The main thing holding me back is that I don't know anyone that surfs. I'm a midwest transplant in Eugene and when I bring up surfing to my friends they all look at me like I'm crazy.

You guys at OSP are the ones that inspired me to get into it. I used to camp there once in a while and couldn't believe dudes would actually go out in water that cold. But if you can do it, I can do it. At least give it a shot. I'm not afraid to fail.

Special Captain Howdy Trivia:
If you were at OSP on June 10, 2005, there was a wedding ceremony. I was the groom :wink:
Captain Howdy
Mermaided

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf