Change font size   Print view

Aspiring Kook

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Aspiring Kook

Postby garbage man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Do not start on a long board! It will only handicap you. The old guys and brainwashed young guys use them because they are to weak to paddle a real board, and the young guys' surfing remains stagnant as long as they are on them. Start on something about 7'6" or so up to about 8'. A 4 mil suit with a hood is all you'll ever need - the new rubber is awesome, but there are decent suits out there (name brand) without all the bells and whistles for under $200 - depends on how much and when you are going to surf for what you will want.

And to all you d-azzes out there that say "Surfing sucks, don't start," Stay outta the water then!
garbage man
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby Tatonka » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Captain Howdy wrote:You guys at OSP are the ones that inspired me to get into it

:lol:

OSP is such a hardcore spot...

not knowing anyone who surfs is a blessing, go alone and pay attention to the guys/girls that are out there every day.
can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tatonka
duck diving fool

Postby brdsurf » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:02 am

garbage man wrote:Do not start on a long board! It will only handicap you. The old guys and brainwashed young guys use them because they are to weak to paddle a real board, and the young guys' surfing remains stagnant as long as they are on them. Start on something about 7'6" or so up to about 8'. A 4 mil suit with a hood is all you'll ever need - the new rubber is awesome, but there are decent suits out there (name brand) without all the bells and whistles for under $200 - depends on how much and when you are going to surf for what you will want.

And to all you d-azzes out there that say "Surfing sucks, don't start," Stay outta the water then!

Bahahahaaaaaaa...... handicap you? Or teach you how to use a rail and really put some muscle into a turn. Unless you believe a LB cant do anything but go straight.....
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby speelyei » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:04 am

tatonka is right

don't confuse surfing and "surf culture". One is a fun physical activity, the other is a bunch of BS.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Betty » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Oooh...post a picture!
The service here sucks.
Betty
coffee WAS my drug of choice

Postby pra_ggresion » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 am

brdsurf wrote:
garbage man wrote:Do not start on a long board! It will only handicap you. The old guys and brainwashed young guys use them because they are to weak to paddle a real board, and the young guys' surfing remains stagnant as long as they are on them. Start on something about 7'6" or so up to about 8'. A 4 mil suit with a hood is all you'll ever need - the new rubber is awesome, but there are decent suits out there (name brand) without all the bells and whistles for under $200 - depends on how much and when you are going to surf for what you will want.

Bahahahaaaaaaa...... handicap you? Or teach you how to use a rail and really put some muscle into a turn. Unless you believe a LB cant do anything but go straight.....

I thought it's already been established that longboards equate to compensating for lack of muscle in riding a real board.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby WC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:46 pm

learn to surf alone, its just better that way, you will meet people eventually,

I am in the eugene area and surf, theres plenty of people who do, they all work at rei, tactics and boardsports...
Save the Seagulls.
WC
duck diving fool

Postby fossilgrom » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 pm

pra_ggresion wrote:
brdsurf wrote:

I thought it's already been established that longboards equate to compensating for lack of muscle in riding a real board.

Truer words have never been written. Every one of them LB basterds are weak and puny including myself. I also standup, which means that Steven Hawking could probalbly kick my a$$ at leg wrestling.
free your mind, your @ss will follow
fossilgrom
a garage full of dusty surfboards

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:31 pm

I will let you pick through the advice others are offering.
I will only offer the only piece of advice I ever got when learning to surf.

Here it is:

Move up on your board more.

Go get 'em tiger.

On the SS Shark issue..... the worst 'vibe' I ever had was a Fall day at the south end. Steadily paddled in with the hair on my neck standing up. Never looked behind me......
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 am

Truer words have never been written. Every one of them LB basterds are weak and puny including myself. I also standup, which means that Steven Hawking could probalbly kick my a$$ at leg wrestling.

Man went fishing and this is all I got; an affirmative. Yeah, I too ride a long board about the quarter of the time and another quarter I wish I was.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf