Change font size   Print view

August....the kookiest month by far.

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: August....the kookiest month by far.

Postby wanty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Ceedog wrote:Shoulda came up this way Wanty.

Sat was sizable and clean Sun was clean and CH.

yeah i was confined to a family reunion type of deal. i found knee high peaks but i just couldnt do it my first day back from surfing this stuff:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
wanty
Site Admin

Postby MC » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:03 am

wanty wrote:I drove around the coast all weekend with a board on my car. didnt go surfing, but i looked cool anyway.

HA! that made me laugh.
60% of the time, it works every time.
MC
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby Quad Head » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:29 am

Sounds like the coastal dwellers are playing a good game reverse psychology. There have been waves here and there. The sand bars are working. And 100’s if not 1000’s have been getting um. Just no real time motivation or need to blab about it on the OSP.
Quad Head

Postby Gazsurf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:34 pm

It's been great, the jig is up.......... :roll:

In case you fugknuckels forgot what real waves looked like.............. This was so 2 years ago I don't mind posting it up now.

Whoops this is the pic I was looking for!

Wank away........
"I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Texas Board of Education member McLeroy rejecting science over creationism.
Gazsurf
the kook whisperer

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Dubstar wrote: Just no real time motivation or need to blab about it on the OSP.

Which leads to an interesting point. Why post a report at all? People will either a) not believe you or b) use every last clue, no matter how vague your report, to expand their mental database of Oregon surfing.

The questions is, does the urge to stroke one’s own ego outweigh the dangers of exposing too much information?

Let’s face it, many of us, can garnish lots of clues from the most elusive of reports based on where the poster is from, how long they’ve been surfing, where they usually surf and so on. Not to mention sending/ receiving PMs for further clarification.

Just what are you hoping to gain from posting your report or is it a genuine service to the Oregon surf community?

My reports are 92% fiction- and save me having a wank at work, whcih would not be cool- just an FYI.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby scubetubeular » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm

My opinion is that people post a report to prove that they actually surf more then just the net.
If your trying to decide whether or not to surf by dissecting one's internet report why bother.
Stay home a pull weeds.
scubetubeular
over the falls, a way of life

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:07 pm

well, i hope no one would decide to surf or pull weeds based on the bullsh*t posted here. but i have to admitt, knowing certain people's locales and habits, while reading their reports does help make the decision between 30, 26, 6, 18 or 22.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby speelyei » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:26 pm

i splashed and played like a happy little duck in the brown water today. muttonbusting at it's finest. rode a borrowed board, as usual, mexican food afterwards ruined any calorie burning headway i made by flailing in the dumpy closing riffles. had good company though!
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Ceedog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Never knew there was so much to posting a report... Today sucked, BTW. I think everyone should stay home and pick weeds until next week.
Carbon credits, brought to you by Enron. PM for quotes.
Ceedog
Jetsam

Postby Doc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:31 pm

I had fun in waist high glassy waves today...
Helped that only 3 people out of the 20or so out could surf...
And were on the proper surfboards...
Oh crap! Now everyone will stop pulling weeds and go surfing...
Well at least my val weed pulling will be uncrowded now...
I'm on vacation for 2 weeks so you probably won't see me out for a bit...
Since I only surf when I am working.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby speelyei » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:28 am

Doc wrote:Helped that only 3 people out of the 20or so out could surf...
And were on the proper surfboards...

doc

y'know, almost everyone here (oregon) sucks, really. regardless of board choice.
even the people who shred don't shred that hard.
I mean, there's plenty of competent surfers, but how often do you see a jaw-dropper?
fact is, 90% of the waves are surfed by 10% of the people, and 90% of the time they're just trimming and reacting... the waves just don't lend themselves to much more... most of the time.
how many times have you paddled out into junk, and been happily surprised that "there were a few good ones in there"?
most oregon surfing is paddling into drops that could barely roll, but might steepen or pitch, and you often can't be 100% sure if you're going left or right until you've committed and are looking left and right frantically. those aren't conditions that allow you to wire moves and link together turns... most shortboarders who are aggressive have to try to crank as many turns in as they can, often rising and dropping only a fraction of the wave face because the waves gonna section any second and they know it. it looks like epilepsy, hacking. most longboarders boringly trim and glide, barely any rising or dropping and occasionally make half-hearted attempts at walking... a bona-fide cheater five is really a rarity.
it's not all to be pinned on the surfers, though, hell... a lot of us have to muster incredible reserves to travel, to wait, to surf junk, to invest in wetsuits and boards... the conditions here just ain't what they are in other places. You see it reflected in lots of ways, too. If you fish from your SUP, you're a real novelty on the beach... people taking pictures of you and stuff. How many of you guys know of a good cliff to jump off of into the ocean? when was the last time you did it? It's tough to be a "water man/woman" here. It's expensive, too. You don't really find useable boards at gimme prices. You need a lot of stuff to dive, to snorkel, to kayak, to sling-spear, crab, to surf, to sea kayak. And once your garage is full of that crap, you're gonna be waiting for weather windows and gettin' stymied, watching the fish and waiting for the seasons to open, and dodging the PSP closures. icy brown water in the summer and flocks of hopeful folks clustered in laughable "sanctuary spots" in the winter, and the wind... always the wind. From surfers to dory folk, most ocean recreationalists in oregon enjoy a "you're crazy" stigma just for going out there at all.
a bright spot in the mist of reality though... i rented 'Drive Through: California' a while back, and the pro's surfed junk on the OR/CA border, and they didn't look any better than us.

don't believe me? throw on a Slater/Irons flick and tell me the last time you saw anything like that here.
speelyei

Postby pro moe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am

The criteria for real good surfing has changed
After watching that free dvd I got in the surf rag cancer to Capricorn
Even mick fanning looked dated compared to some of the younger guys
And what they were doing …….it was ridiculous
My buddy said he was dizzy after watching it
and hey im over 50yo and couldn’t do what they were doing if my life counted on it
even though last weekend I was shredding so hard I busted a outboard fin
on a bottom turn after a couple backhand blasts
IMO the skill level for good surfing and surfers has gone up drastically in the last 5 years in the pnw
As I witnessed at the nocos most infamous spot last time I was there
along with dishhand dan blasting 8 or 9 vertical OTLs per wave I saw some younger guys just killing it
and around my locale there are a handful that bust airs on a regular basis doing things I could only dream of doing the only point I can agree with is that the crowd factor has risen and with it the sheer number of kooks and idiots out in the lineup has increased dramatically so its really hard to see how good the top of the heap really is
pro moe
duck diving fool

Postby speelyei » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:11 am

stir
stir
stirring the pot.

keeps all the good stuff from burning to the bottom!
speelyei

Postby scubetubeular » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 am

I'll probably paddle out today.
Here is my pre-surf report.
Looks good. It's glassy. Gonna ride a shorty board. 6'6"
Those of you who know me and where I usually surf think twice before making your conclusion.
I'll be both north and south of a lighthouse as well as both north and south of a jetty or two.
See you all out there.
scubetubeular
over the falls, a way of life

Postby Quad Head » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:37 am

I will not surf today. I will stay home and smoke weed. None of you know me even if you think you do. But shred on for me though rad dudes. And as always Rock the Beach!
Quad Head

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf