Change font size   Print view

Never thought I would see the day

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Never thought I would see the day

Postby redalert » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:25 am

I'm with you on that sentiment Mr. Four Head exactly
Quad Head wrote:IMHO he knew what he was getting into. Culture's culture. Some things never change. So why go stickin your hand in the bee's nest?

Doesn’t seem worth it or genuine to me. And then there’s karma and all that. But again that just my opinion.

Best to shut up, drop in, and surf.

Exactly!
I digress
redalert
cross stepping..... stumble bum

Postby harg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:29 pm

MC wrote:
1) it's cold
2) it's sharky - that's just a fact.
3) it's fickle - ditto
4) as previously stated, the coast of the pnw isn't exactly thriving with career opportunity.

I really don't understand all the complaining and fear about crowds in the forum. Is there some spot that's getting overrun with throngs of rippers that i don't know about? In 7 years of being an OR surfer, I've had a hard time getting waves because the wind was blowing 40mph, or it was 15ft+, or currents were ripping, or the whole beach was slop or closed out, or i was so cold that I couldn't paddle anymore. but, with the exception of one spot that everyone knows about, i can't think of 5 times where i couldn't get waves because it was too crowded. i understand there's more surfers. but nobody comes here to surf. the growth is spillover from the valley, and if you're a local and you don't have enough skill/knowledge to get waves from valley kooks (no offense, i'm one too), then you have no right to complain. if you're from the valley and you can't get waves, you're probably at shorties and you should stay there and enjoy it for what it is.
MC, sorry to hear you're taking heat. i don't know you, but i'm all for you taking local pics. our coast is beautiful and its nice to see reminders that it also gets good every once in a while (or at least looks like it does thru a skilled lens). hopefully you're even making some money that you can spend in towns up and down the coast.
on a side note, surfed saturday. small and cold, but clean and pleasantly punchy. just me, one buddy, a stray trap, and a couple people walking their dogs.
harg
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby scubetubeular » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Harg said it right.
Iʻve got years and years of empty wave photos on my drives.
Iʻve showed them offline to lots of pro surfers and people in the industry.
None of them have ever wanted to come up here and surf. I donʻt blame them. Not that I was inviting them. More just to answer the tired question of why the effe I even bother up here.
If I had warm water in my backyard again I wouldnʻt want to spend my money to travel to a place where the waves are cold, very fickle and sharky. Even when the weather is nice you canʻt even drink a beer on the beach without getting a lip full of sand from the 30 kt N. winds.

So a pic showed up in a mag of Oregon. Not the first time thatʻs for sure. It sure as shat aint going to be the last no matter how many personal threats are made. If you can google papua new guinea and come up with pics of villagers ripping waves to shreds you will surely see more pics of the PNW showing up here and there. Thereʻs just too many people with cameraʻs these days. Blame it on the camera companies for making such affordable digital high res cameraʻs. Itʻs technologies fault. Not the surfers. Ha!
scubetubeular
over the falls, a way of life

Postby Quad Head » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:06 pm

High performance waves are in high demand for sure. And where there are high performance waves you will find shredders, competitive lineups, and often crowds these days. Even in the remotest of remote. If you aren’t concerned about surfing the best waves, well sure you can paddle out in a lot of places and get something marginal with a friend or even by yourself. Saturday you coulda paddled out anywhere early. It was offshore and micro. But it wasn’t good. Still the majority of the time conditions keep people in the same old spots.

I think spillover from the valley is the main concern, that’s where the bulk of the surfing population is, not people invading from California or pros showing up. Think about it this way. While the population of Seaside might not be growing at alarming rates, Portland’s population is growing. People from CA and other locals will continue to move Portland and a percentage of them surf and will have no problem driving to do so. Now take a look at Bend as another example. Another place with a lot of surfers. But look what happened there population wise over the last 10 years. Why couldn’t the same happen in Manzanita? Although employment opps are limited, these days you can work from anywhere given technology. Who knows, prob not, but a differnt perspective to think about.

So all this growth is inevitable, but why put it out there? Isn’t half the fun of surfing in Oregon the adventure of finding a good peak and where the sand is? Figuring it out for yourself? Isn’t that why we love Oregon surfing because it’s different from anywhere else? Maybe I’m old school, but fuk it’s surely why I love it. And it’s surely why I don’t think it belongs in mainstream publications like Surfing Magazine or websites like Surfline ON A REGULAR BASIS. There’s no hate here, just love, love for a resource that is unfortunately a finite one.
Quad Head

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Boohoo.....so the overcrowded world of surfing is spilling over in Oregon! The shock of it all....I mean some places are seeing up to 12 people in the water at once!

Oregon spots in surf rags is hardly new....

Anyone remember this issue?

Look it up.

Oh, and even more poignant than the article on Oregon is the letter form me printed in the tech section....

Peace...bitches.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby grizldoldfk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:46 pm

hahahaha! good one kook!
but your tech article was lame. everybody knew duct tape did that.

anyway. did you guys say there's surf up in manzanita?
grizldoldfk
Last year's hot surfer

Postby bluesilver » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:49 pm

grizldoldfk wrote:hahahaha! good one kook!
but your tech article was lame. everybody knew duct tape did that.

anyway. did you guys say there's surf up in manzanita?

Still cracking me up, Griz!

MC - great photos. Keep it up. Screw these elitist wannabe kooks
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby jgarding » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:50 pm

I remember the shot in the mag but I never noticed this thread at the time of all the hoopla. In my opinion MC and Surfline, and Surfer do a great job of not giving too much away. Shots like that don't hold my hand and tell me exactly where to go, they inspire me to get out and look around once in a while. What's funny is the people who end up spilling the beans are always some pissed off dude bitching about it on some forum. I had a guess as to where that shot was taken, but after stumbling across this thread, now I know exactly where it is.

MC takes some sweet shots and I'm stoked for him to be able to do what he loves and make some income as well. As long as he and the companies who publish his work keep the mystery in it. My other sport is mountain biking and when I see a vid that some kids put together and post it on pinkbike, I'm always stoked at all the positive comments most people post. Supporting the riders, support for the local trails in the vid. It's so funny how different surfing is. Do the same thing here and start a riot. If my son takes a serious interest in surfing or photography or videography, what am I to say if he gets a sick shot in a mag or for a mag? Sorry son, you can't pursue your dreams because it's just not exceptable around here for someone to have that much fun and success while following their dreams.
jgarding
Plover Murderer

Postby SooLoo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 am

I truly do miss the "secret" spots...You guys are as blessed as you are cursed
SooLoo

Postby mavericksman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:53 pm

wan good pics of bombs and barrels follo me a-round a day wit a camera. Peace.
bombs not bombs
mavericksman
shorepounder

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf