Change font size   Print view

what wetsuits do you use?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

what wetsuits do you use?

Postby brobra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I know this thread has been done before. I posted in the Consumer Reports section that no one goes too. I'm shopping for a new wetsuit. What do people wear? How do you like them? Are the Patagonia Wool ones too bulky? How about a Matuse? Isurus? I will spend the money if its worth it, but if not, I might just get a Hyper Flex? blah blah blah Any thoughts people? fyi, I have had 6.5.4 suits in the past. A Rip Curl and Xcel. both good suits, just want something more flexible but still warm.
Whose got snaps on the petro?
brobra
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Re: what wetsuits do you use?

Postby smithgrind » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:14 pm

5/4 for winter.
4/3 for summer.
hood year 'round.

Whatever fits you best is the suit you want. I'm not brand loyal. I've had billabongs, rip curls, o'neills...they all worked fine. I don't see the need to spend more on a patagonia or the hyper priced o'neills. You're gonna have a buy a new one in a few years anyway...I just wish someone would recycle the neoprene.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby SooLoo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Excel always. I would wear through them in a year to year in a half but that is an awful lot of surfs. Tore the shoulder/trapazoid (sp?) area of every suit. Funny thing is when you send them back to be repaired they get shipped to about 1/4 mi from my house where under most circumstances you have no need for one. Go figure...
SooLoo

Postby MC » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:20 pm

had a rip curl, had a quiksilver and the xcels are what i've been wearing exclusively for the last 4 years. but it's all about the fit and they fit me perfectly. plus, they're insanely warm. often times i get out of the water and the inside of the suit is still partially dry. no joke. i hear the patagonia's are great suits, especially the 3mm hooded, but for the money, i just can't justify it.
60% of the time, it works every time.
MC
I Macarena in my wetsuit

Postby brobra » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 am

Sounds like you guys really like your Xcel wetsuits. I was kinda hoping for some exotic answer, but that is good to know. I'm basically trying to save myself from trying on a ton of wetsuits. Thanks. That Isurus suit looks pretty cool though. Anyone have any experience or know anyone with them?
Whose got snaps on the petro?
brobra
Hawaii big surf veterinarian

Postby stinky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:28 pm

You want exotic, I've been known use my birthday suit once in awhile. It always seems clears the lineup in a hurry. Really though, Hotline makes the best suit for the money. The rest are just cheap and fall apart too fast, plus those smooth skin belly's are too slippery anyway. Patagonia are nice but way too expensive.
"American public opinion is like an ocean, it cannot be stirred by a teaspoon."
stinky
I wax the bottom of my board

Postby Tatonka » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:38 pm

I sent in a Patagonia suit recently cause the seams were leaking. I expected them to replace it based on my past experiences with the company, instead they fought me every step of the way. The shop refused to take it even though I had bought it there, sent it in and they initially said they wouldn't touch it because I had glued a spot (not the leaking seam). After much frustration they agreed to fix the defect and charged me. They agreed the suit was defective but wanted to weiner out of the warranty because I had taken it upon myself to repair a small hole in the arm. $600.00 for that shiit, never again.
can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tatonka
duck diving fool

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 pm

I use whichever one smells less like piss.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Tex » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 pm

I have been wearing ripcurl since 1990. I go 6/4/3 year round. Took my F-Bomb to Alaska and was able to stay in the water for 2.5 hours at a time.

Flexibility seems pretty good, I have a 2011 model with the zip across the chest. Works great. Of course I dont have anything to compare it too =)

LOOPTWORKS in Portland recycles the neoprene now. They make laptop covers with it...cool company.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby dogfur » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Started out with a 4/3 Rip Curl which held up well for a couple of years, then went to a 5/4 Xcel hooded, which is really warm, too warm alot of the time actually, and I kind of don't like the hood unless its really cold out. Even then I only wear it on the paddle out. When I have it off it rubs on the back of my old bald head. And you gotta be like friggin' Houdini to get out of that thing. Two years ago I got an Xcel 5/4 no hood. I love that suit. Comfy and warm. Also use an old 4/3 Xcel when the water is warm like it is now. That suit is about 5 yrs old and starting to come apart in a couple of spots. It was always a little tight, but it seems like its shrunk...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
dogfur
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf