Change font size   Print view

May the Waves be with You

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

May the Waves be with You

Postby Doc » Sat May 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Surfed some seriously blown out slop on the no co yesterday. Pretty uninspiring overall but when it came down to it, certainly was better thna not surfing blown out slop. There were actually a handful of corners to be found and then the whole sitting in the sun at the beach in May deal was ok. Even saw RV, an extremely rare sighting let me tell you.

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Re: May the Waves be with You

Postby Tex » Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 pm

What do you mean by a handful of corners?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Bubalus » Sun May 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Thursday was bump fest. Solid swell (foot or two OH) with the occasional nugget kept me out for a few hours but I took some rough beat downs in between (clean-ups, bump induced wipeouts etc.) Mixed feelings, this north wind and dying swell make me miss winter but my nagging injuries (neck, elbow and knee) along with a ticket to Hawaii (for a month) have me looking forward to summer.
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby Doc » Sun May 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Its like a bag of hammers

Doc
Doc

Postby The Pabst Man » Mon May 14, 2012 11:49 am

Wife had a conference on the Central Coast on Fri and Saturday. To me that meant a free trip to the Coast. I am the guy that gets skunked on every overnight surf trip. This trip was different.

The mega low-tide turned this usually gutless longboard haven into a fun punchy little beach break protected from the North winds. Some folks were on the outside wrestling to get some mushy head high waves, when the fun was on the inside. I love surfing fast, hollow, beach breaks and I was finally treated to some fun Oregon Surf. You could almost walk out to the shifty peaks, and it was not big enough to cause concern. It is a rare treat to surf Oregon on a day where there are little consequences (i.e. 20 minute paddle out, currents, grumpy clean up sets.)

I managed to find my way in and out of a couple of the small dredging barrels, but I paid the price on more than a few close-outs. Every few waves I would manage to find a face to get two or three quick turns in. Friday was better than Saturday. It was by no means epic, but overall I had a great time.
Welcome to the Suck
The Pabst Man
the surfing sahib

Postby Spent » Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 pm

nice report PBR man. friday morning negative tide, served me right also. small but steep rights with suprisingly long rides. occasional tiny tubes. no exits for me this time, though the view was nice. fleeting but nice.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Mon May 14, 2012 4:06 pm

A fun mixed up morning yesterday with unexpected glass conditions until I saw the whitecaps popping on the horizon and eventually the texture arrived giving some bump to the dump. Paddled in to cool off with some pounders and watch the parade of humanity roll in after noon. Everyone brings a surfboard now, doesn't matter if you surf or not. They look good laid down next to a beach towel and coolers. After proper beer hydration I paddled out to nuking north winds and smoking sets. Maybe it was the beers, but I thought the waves were better...Then again, the wind spray up the faces was so heavy that most of my take offs were blind. Pulled in to a few, never made it out, but damn it felt good to be sun baked and surfed out at the end of the day. Stoke is rising...
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby qball » Fri May 18, 2012 7:08 pm

These posts give me hope that my one day of surfing this quarter won't be the 1-foot forecast. Also sun.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'WOW, what a ride!!!'"
qball
snowboarder know-it-all

Postby Bubalus » Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Utter grovel yesterday. Choppy wind swell, bumpy closing out and on the rocks. The water was frigid and the smell of the foam actually made me gag once. While I did get a couple of decent ones and even saw a whale, I fear the good stuff is gone till next fall.
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby Spent » Fri May 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Bubalus wrote:Utter grovel.

i like the word 'utter.' but yeah, utter shite today also.
Spent

Postby Tex » Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Did people just quit posting their reports here or is it still sucking that bad?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Fri May 25, 2012 7:52 pm

today was pretty decent...
doc threw me a wave...
it was pretty decent...
thanks doc...
Spent

Postby Doc » Fri May 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Sunshine & shorts at Short Sands outta the wind. Found a few fun rights that were appropriate for 10 & half feet of Frye Eagle. Wind laid off a bit about 1230 but seemed like the waves laid off about then too. Still a couple to be found but fewer & further between. Still, 'twas pretty fun and an empty lineup for the most part...certainly won't be empty from the line of cars headed to the coast as I headed east!
Doc

Postby Bubalus » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Good ridance May, June's already got you beat.
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf