Change font size   Print view

finding waves

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

finding waves

Postby KareBear » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:19 pm

So, I'm fairly new to surfing and would like to know how to know when the waves will be good. I found a couple of sites that give forecasts and it sees like the bigger the moon, the bigger the waves. but what makes the quality of wave good? sometimes the forecast calls for okay waves, but the rating is really low. What gives?
KareBear
Mermaided

Re: finding waves

Postby jgarding » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:37 pm

That's easy KareBear. You are right about the correlation between bigger moon, bigger waves, everyone knows that. What most people, including yourself, struggle with is understanding what dictates wave quality. Allow me to shed a little light on this perplexing subject; Wave quality is a bit of a relevant term, some people like small, well formed waves, others like big barrels, most here in these parts look for a wave with over priced beer steps away from the water. No matter what wave type you enjoy most, what makes them good or bad is East facing beaches to pick up the elusive Southeasters that are generated by tropical storm activity down by Baja. Just keep studying MSW. They've got a hard on for 5 star south,southeast swells.
jgarding
Plover Murderer

Postby Sir Finger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Last edited by Sir Finger on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Finger
Mermaided

Postby SooLoo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:22 am

Hahahahahaha!!! Welcome to the OSP seek and ye shall be rebuked!!!
SooLoo

Postby KareBear » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks guys.
KareBear
Mermaided

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 pm

I'mstill trying to figure out what/why/how Sir Finger's face was in his wetsuit....
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf