Change font size   Print view

Hipsters are taking over

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Hipsters are taking over

Postby jgarding » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Someones got to stop these hipsters. As we all know whatever happens on the East Coast will eventually make its way here. I say we rally and stop them at the border. We don't need your skinny jean, beard wearing, cut down bar fixy while holding a latte in the other hand, kind around these parts. Who's with me?

From Surfline:
The Endless Summer is turning into the Endless Bummer for veteran Rockaway surfers.

After fairing a mediocre summer of surf, Rockaway locals are now combating a wave of hipsters who are stealing their rides during hurricane season — the peak period for rideable swells.

“It’s ridiculous,” said Rockaway long-boarder Richard Livsey, 42. “The hipsters go out there and take waves from people who can actually surf. If they did that in Puerto Rico or Hawaii they would get beaten up.”

Hurricane season, which officially begins June 1 and ends Nov. 30, is considered the best time to shred at Beach 90th St.

But not this year.

“I’ve never seen it like this,” said Livsey, who has lived on Beach 98th St. for nearly a decade. “If they came here and respected the culture it would be one thing, but they disregard the No. 1 rule in surfing: They drop in on you.”

Surfers describe riders who hop on waves they’re already on as “dropping in.”

While thankful for the economic boost that newbies have brought to the area, locals say clueless hipsters don’t know this basic tenant of the sport.

Matty Allen, 28, a life-long Rockaway surfer, said the problem was getting so bad that he skipped town this year.
jgarding
Plover Murderer

Re: Hipsters are taking over

Postby Spent » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 am

Don't worry J, I think the infiltration is largely over. I'm seeing more white boards and black wetties and less resin tints. Apparently, working for Weiden and Kennedy or Nike is the new Counter Culture. Stumptown coffee has gone downhill. Now we just need to get rid of those stupid plastic skateboards, hand planes and Tumblr accounts. Mollusk in the Pearl never took off but there is that strange "Worn Path" shop in NoPo, sort of fashionable survivalist deal, in case you get lost in the woods in your skinny jeans and they unfortunately sell surfboards... but mostly 'they' are dying the slow death we always wished for them.

But who were they?
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Chunk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 am

Last edited by Chunk on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chunk
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby ladbag » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 am

hehe +1 :lol:
ladbag
Mermaided

Postby speelyei » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 am

Aw Spent, don't drag resin tints through the mud... I love em, and the Wasabi was hot!
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby McDing » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Wussies
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Country Honk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Mmmmmm... resin tints.
Eat Sleep Surf Jiu-jitsu. Repeat.
Country Honk
baitfish expert

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf