Change font size   Print view

Chasing Mavericks Review

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Chasing Mavericks Review

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Went to go see the movie on Sunday. My parents happened to be in town and my two sons (8 & 9) were both pretty bored so I decided to pull the trigger check it out.

I read some of the reviews...basically that Hollywood got it wrong again and that there were a lot of cliche's. None of that registered at all for my boys or my parents who have watched "hard core" surf videos with me over the years. Everyone, including myself enjoyed seeing Mavericks on the big screen, the footage was pretty damn good.

I did not know they would cover that fact that Jay had passed away in the film. When they did the paddle out for him and spread his ashes it definitely caught me off guard and reminded me of my brother's paddle out a few years back, got me to choke up a bit.

I guess the best part of the whole experience was that as soon as we got home, my boys wanted to pull out all my boards, practice paddling and popping and they kept asking when they were going to be able to go surfing next. I never got to see surf movies on the big screen until after I has been surfing for a number of years. The fact that my kids got to see a movie like that in the theater had them super stoked. My oldest boy wrote an essay about the movie in class today and he had most of the class gathered around him to hear about the movie.

So for me...two thumbs up. I got to watch the story of a surfer I had always admired, I got to see some great camera shots of the wave and my boys want to be big wave chargers now. What more can I ask for from a movie like that.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Chasing Mavericks Review

Postby Hump » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for that and I must say I'm slightly green with envy as I never fathered any kids so missed out on the parenting thing other than watching my friends and being "Uncle" Dave a few times. :lol:
Totally stoked by your kids reactions too.

I live vicariously when it comes to kids and the raising thereof, so thanks for sharing.

Take care.
The name Hump?
Well, it all started off innocently enough.....
Hump
shorepounder

Postby Bubalus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Yo Hump,

Lemme know if you want some kid time, I'm happy to leave mine on the beach with you for a few hours anytime...
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby Hump » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Bubalus wrote:Yo Hump,

Lemme know if you want some kid time, I'm happy to leave mine on the beach with you for a few hours anytime...

Ha ha.......been there and done that circa the '70's at JR.

Loved it too 'cause their parents always took them home. :lol:

Take care.
The name Hump?
Well, it all started off innocently enough.....
Hump
shorepounder

Postby SooLoo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:07 am

Saw it last night and had the whole theater to myself. I enjoyed the first 10 minutes then woke up as Jay was ruling Mav's at the end. I liked most of what I saw just need to bring more beer next time. It's a 5 or 6 beer movie, a blunt too if I would have known there are no surfers in Iowa...In all the movie spent way too much time on parental issues and not nearly enough about Jay the waterman, I feel that even though I slept through nearly the whole movie, I didn't miss anything.
SooLoo

Postby smithgrind » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks Sooloo. I love those movies about parenthood and wayward youth. "La Mission" comes to mind.
I'll be sure to have been blunted for this one...
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Chunk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Last edited by Chunk on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chunk
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Postby mavericksman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:48 pm

what i dont understands doods is that this was made about me without me knowin so thats like kind of big brutha cuz that means a whole draw-ma hapenind like secret cameras on me but really shouda been more of me rippining-shreddin' those bombs like shred them so radhot backdoor bomby stylin' Respect.
bombs not bombs
mavericksman
shorepounder

Postby Bubalus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:19 pm

The climax scene when Jay finally charges Mavs and the evil surfers barge in on boats is pure Hollywood magic. Greg Long saying "this ones all you charger" before Jay snags his first bomb, classic!
Bubalus
the surfing sahib

Postby bluesilver » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm

**snoooooooooooreed** through it
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby Tex » Wed May 01, 2013 9:59 am

Of course you did!!!!!
Tex