Change font size   Print view

Will you help me

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Will you help me

Postby waterfowl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:47 pm

I'll do anything I can in return. The short(ish) version: I surfed like crazy here in Oregon all through the eighties and then life took over and I quit. I just turned 50 and went to visit family in Maui last week (Anuhea, the recording artist, is my niece). I rented a 10' soft-top board and by the end of a week I got a flash of that old feeling back even on tiny waves and it rejuvenated me. I know there are tons more surfers now here at home, but I can surf in winter and fall and on weekdays. I am 6 feet and, unfortunately, about 200 lbs, though this might be the reason I needed to get my azz in shape. The point of this: should I be shopping strictly for a longboard? Or is there hope for someone like me to buy something in the 7 1/2 to 8 foot range, and what style? If I can simply cruise down a line even occasionally (don't know how you put it these days), I'll be a happy, happy guy. I don't need to thrash a wave up into a froth- I just want more of that feeling of being carried along and the thought of it not happening again until I can get back to Maui is un-settling. THANKS for ANY advice of any kind! Dave
Last edited by waterfowl on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
waterfowl
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Re: Will you help me?

Postby Doc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:52 am

I wouldn't necessarily buy a log in the trad sense of a heavy noserider single fin but going longer will likely be more versatile and less frustrating on those smaller days when it's tough to make a shorter board go and equally frustrating to paddle into waves with not much push. A longer board is going to let you paddle and catch waves easier and if you look a a more modern longboard you should be able to surf it even if the waves get bigger (w/in reason).

Check the used racks at Gorge or Seaside surf shops or keep your eyes peeled on craigslist...something will pop up.

Good Luck

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby waterfowl » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Doc thank you so much! My buddy bet me that no one would reply if I used the title: "Will you help me?" and he almost pulled it off lol! That's helpful and that's all I can ask- you're a good man- good karma is coming to you...........watch this:..
waterfowl

Postby Spent » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 am

Doc is a good man. I am not but I will say this: I surfed with a gentleman recently, who was in a 60s and had taken a fifteen year break and he was one of the best longboarders out there. His timing was amazing, and he gracefully cruised down the line every wave. Get out there and join him!
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby waterfowl » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 am

Wow- Spent, that's awesome and super inspiring- thanks so much for the reply. Ill try to join him. What's ironic, is, before this last Maui trip, I had never been on a long board in my life. I had always been bent on riding these tiny little boards probably to my detriment.
waterfowl

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf