Change font size   Print view

Is Shuler right on this? "Saucer"/ "Cosmo"

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Is Shuler right on this? "Saucer"/ "Cosmo"

Postby waterfowl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:50 am

Been shopping for a 9' or so long board and thinking that's what I need to float me and catch waves easily and I discussed this with Mr Shuler today and he assured me that what I want is his "Cosmo" aka "Summer Saucer" in a 8-something feet. Does anyone have any experience with these? or him? Super nice guy and really seemed like he knew this stuff forwards and backwards, but I don't and I don't want to make a mistake. Any advice?
waterfowl
stinkbug stance? I walk this way!

Re: Is Shuler right on this? "Saucer"/ "Cosmo"

Postby speelyei » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:23 am

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? How long have you been surfing? Are you a strong paddler? What kind of conditions are you planning to use this board in?
These are all factors to be considered.

For myself, I like a real traditional longboard. 9'6" or bigger, 3" thick or more... If I want a log I want a log, know what I mean?
If we're talking 8', we're talking fun shape, in my opinion.

Consider I am posting from Arizona. Take that into account. F'in dryland know-it-all.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby Spent » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:43 am

sounds like a pretty user friendly model. personally, i have a hard time on traditional logs and wouldn't recommend them to beginners but i envy people who've got them dialed in. one day...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby waterfowl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:08 am

speelyei wrote:How tall are you and how much do you weigh? How long have you been surfing? Are you a strong paddler? What kind of conditions are you planning to use this board in?
These are all factors to be considered.

For myself, I like a real traditional log. 9'6" or bigger, 3" thick or more... If I want a log I want a log, know what I mean?
If we're talking 8', we're talking fun shape, in my opinion.

Consider I am posting from Arizona. Take that into account. F'in dryland know-it-all.

6 feet tall, 200 lbs. Just turned 50- yikes! I surfed a lot right here in Oregon all through most of the 80's but quit. I had never even ridden a long board the whole time I surfed, so the only "experience" I have with a longboard is from renting giant soft-tops on Maui a few times and riding straight ahead on 1 foot waves. Still, it was enough to make me miss it badly! THANKS for your reply Dave
waterfowl

Postby waterfowl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:10 am

Spent wrote:sounds like a pretty user friendly model. personally, i have a hard time on traditional logs and wouldn't recommend them to beginners but i envy people who've got them dialed in. one day...

I appreciate this input- that's kinda what I was wondering. I have no experience with long boards, but am now trying to float 200 lbs, though I am eating clean and back in the gym in hopes of being able to ride a wave again
waterfowl

Postby buoyhead » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:12 pm

Listen to Lanny.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby waterfowl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:41 pm

buoyhead wrote:Listen to Lanny.

thanks I will!
waterfowl

Postby Doc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 am

I'd say Lanny makes good boards at a reasonable price but I'd be wary of laying out dough for a new board style I
I'd never ridden especially when I could grab 2 or 3 new used boards off the rack of different shapes for the same price.

They won't have that new board smell although if you give 'em a quick sand with some 220 grit you can get a whiff

Doc
"If you don't surf...don't start".
Doc
surf expert............ just add wax

Postby speelyei » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 am

Some factors I took into consideration with board choice:
I surfed by myself most of the time, so I wanted a board that would give me a better safety margin in terms of paddling ease, visibility, flotation, durability, and one that didn't resemble a seal when seen from below.
In the eight fantastic years we lived on the coast, the conditions were bad more than they were good. The log allowed me to surf the broadest range of conditions with a single board. My shortest board was 6'4", my longest was 10', and I surfed the logs 10x as much as the funboard, fish, and semi-gun.

I knew folks who never surfed anything longer than 7' , for the same reasons, who surfed more frequently and a lot better than me.

I am sure youll have fun, whatever you buy.
speelyei
boogie boarders run ME over!

Location: Arizona... but I am still an absentee owner on the Coast!

Postby waterfowl » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Thankyou guys, seriously; THANKYOU. That's the advice I have been hoping for. I think im getting a handle on this . So great of you to take the time- you have no idea what this means to me. Dave
waterfowl

Postby smithgrind » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Have you moved on from buying a board from Josh? How much chicken do you wanna pony up for a new ride? does it have to be "new"? You can save a boatload buying a used board...Sounds like you're getting hung up on what to get. Try to keep it simple and don't spend a ton on something you may not like. Me, I'd get a used 9' LB with a simple shape and a 2+1 fin set up. Hell, get a surftech if you can find one cheap. Ride that thing until you either hate it or get bored with it and then start looking for something else, at least you will have a point of reference to work from.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby waterfowl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm

smithgrind wrote:Have you moved on from buying a board from Josh? How much chicken do you wanna pony up for a new ride? does it have to be "new"? You can save a boatload buying a used board...Sounds like you're getting hung up on what to get. Try to keep it simple and don't spend a ton on something you may not like. Me, I'd get a used 9' LB with a simple shape and a 2+1 fin set up. Hell, get a surftech if you can find one cheap. Ride that thing until you either hate it or get bored with it and then start looking for something else, at least you will have a point of reference to work from.

Sorry to get gushy here, but another post that I have to sincerely thank you for. That is exactly the track I am on right now and I greatly appreciate the wisdom. Yes, I would love to buy from Josh, and I will eventually, but I am finally grasping the concept that this is not the time for me to be choosing my one-only lifetime board here and now. It seems you buy a board and they multiply like flyrods! Four solid longboards on CL right now- one of them should be a good start and THANKS THANKS everyone who took the time. Dave
waterfowl

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:58 pm

I am in the middle of getting a custom board shaped by the Master Wayne Okamoto....a mini-pynzer....should be sick if it rides like the three other boards I have from him.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby waterfowl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Tex wrote:I am in the middle of getting a custom board shaped by the Master Wayne Okamoto....a mini-pynzer....should be sick if it rides like the three other boards I have from him.

Sounds cool- I'll have to look him up!
waterfowl

Postby Tex » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

You can see alot of his work on his blog. He was a ghost shaper for Rusty, Channel Islands and others for a lot of years.
http://oakfoils.blogspot.com/
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf