Change font size   Print view

Spring and Summer 2014 Surf Report

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Spring and Summer 2014 Surf Report

Postby Spent » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:48 am

Session of the summer for me also happened last weekend. Small and perfect. I surrendered to a longboard and was rewarded with some really nice long rides on an empty beach. Just me, my pal Nasty and some travelling Washingtonian who ripped harder than any Oregonian I've surfed with. Anyone selling a 9'6"? Sparky?
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 am

This last weekend I powered out 4 sessions all south of CB. Friday afternoon at ss was a nice double session ending at 9:30 with only 5 surfers in the lineup.

Saturday we ended up surfing Manzanita beachbreak which I had not gotten in a very long time. The wave height is deceptive from the beach, once you make it outside, it is significantly larger than it seemed from shore. I have noticed that the wave energy at Manzanita is faster and more powerful than the cove. Typically it was two paddles and then we were racing down the line out on the open beach.

Sunday morning a local spot was lighting up really nicely, saw a few barrels being made. Later that afternoon at SS, I got my biggest waves of the year. Overhead is always fun but the second creek was producing a high peaking right that horseshoed at the bottom and created a really fun launch ramp.

Outside sets would break and most of us would catch that and then hold on for a ledging peak on the inside sandbar. By the third day, I was feeling on top of my game. It is amazing what three days in a row can do for your surfing!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:36 am

The Atlantic has mostly been asleep but I've had a couple of fun sessions on my oversized twin-keeler. Water temp over here makes it easier to motivate. Sweating in my 3/2mm... could be all the warm ale and pastys though....
Spent

Postby Tex » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:56 pm

Spent, I think we are the last ones standing.....is it time to close the saloon in this ghost town?
Tex

Postby Critter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:11 pm

Was great group of folks sad to see it flatline like this. Le Sigh.
All ya gotta do is ask for it.
Critter
over the falls, a way of life

Postby X-squid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:28 pm

Yeah, what happened? I'm 'new' but it seems like there was some fun convos going on there for a while. Oh well...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby noparking » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Don't have anything to report about surfing, but I did just pick up a new(to me) longboard. so that's something to be excited about.
noparking
Mermaided

Postby X-squid » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 am

I spent probably 8-9 hours in the water between Friday evening and Sunday (yeah, wife and kids are outta town). Nothing much breaking over waist-high, but it was sunny, the water wasn't terribly cold, and only one kook on a soft-top got in my way the entire 3 days. Win.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby noparking » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:27 pm

X-squid wrote:I spent probably 8-9 hours in the water between Friday evening and Sunday (yeah, wife and kids are outta town). Nothing much breaking over waist-high, but it was sunny, the water wasn't terribly cold, and only one kook on a soft-top got in my way the entire 3 days. Win.
it's the little things in life. hopefully i'll be able to spend a good chunk of time in the water early next week. been itching to get out on my new board/s
noparking
Mermaided

Postby smithgrind » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Dusted off the longboard for waist high low tide closeouts with icy water temps on Friday. I realized my 6-7 year old
wax job was done and it was too hot and sunny to wax so wave sliding turned into board sliding. Got some nice tip time in and a warm and fuzzy sunset to cap the day. Stoke restored, mission accomplished.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby holddown » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am

The spring & summer streak of '14 ended on 8/1 at 78 days in a row due to a road trip to Montana. It covered half of May, and every day in June & July. Big, small, medium, good, crappy, marginal, crowded, solo, calm, windy, Oregon, Hawaii, cold, warm, sunny, rainy, and always fun. The only improvement I noticed was better skill in small crappy side onshore wind chop.

-HD
holddown
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:56 am

Wow, that is impressive HD...nice work! Still, I would have enjoyed reading the daily reports =)

I got out to Short Sands last night at 5:00. Not a cloud in the sky and the wind was offshore. Unfortunately, the tide was super low so waves were closing out a bit initially. Also, for a Thursday evening, there were more people in the water than I would have expected.

Anyway, as the tide came in, Third Creak got a bit more peak action and the right was starting to horseshoe around the outside bard. Most of the pack was on second creak which was slightly bigger than third. I chose smaller waves with no competition for the peak.

Surfed till 8:00...nothing beats a 3 hour evening session mid week!

Tex
Tex

Postby noparking » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:53 am

Tex wrote:Wow, that is impressive HD...nice work! Still, I would have enjoyed reading the daily reports =)

I got out to Short Sands last night at 5:00. Not a cloud in the sky and the wind was offshore. Unfortunately, the tide was super low so waves were closing out a bit initially. Also, for a Thursday evening, there were more people in the water than I would have expected.

Anyway, as the tide came in, Third Creak got a bit more peak action and the right was starting to horseshoe around the outside bard. Most of the pack was on second creak which was slightly bigger than third. I chose smaller waves with no competition for the peak.

Surfed till 8:00...nothing beats a 3 hour evening session mid week!

Tex

we might of crossed paths i was just getting out of the water and headed back to the car around that time.
noparking
Mermaided

Postby X-squid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Short Sands sucked bad yesterday. I just got back from a warm-water trip tho so maybe the bar was up a bit. A few more weeks of summer slop should solve that.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 am

Back to Oregon, back on the longboard. Had somewhat of a mini OSP re-union last Friday with some fellow longboard kooks, just south of the epicenter.
Spent

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf