Change font size   Print view

Noob and a new board...

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Noob and a new board...

Postby darinr80 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:13 am

I've been out three times on the OR coast, and I've lived here my whole life boogie boarding but never surfing. Anyway I used a friends NSP 6'8" and then twice have rented a Robert August What I Ride and that one is 9' but I liked it a lot more. I'm thinking about getting a used board but I need something good, not too long, etc...The one I was thinking was 8'6" long; does that sound okay??
darinr80
Mermaided

Re: Noob and a new board...

Postby X-squid » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:16 pm

A lot is going to depend on your height/weight as you progress, but just starting out if you're of average build, etc., something in the mid 8'+ range should be fine in a longboard shape. 6'8" is way too small to start out on even in a fun shape (unless you're like 5'3" and 125 lbs).

Good luck, and here's the obligatory "beat it, kook!" :wink:
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby darinr80 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Thank you! I got a used Robert August What I Ride 9' board that I had rented a few times already. I love it! It has one long center fin and two shorter outside fins. I surfed Monday at Ecola State Park and it was great; 2'-4' or so. My issue is that I would paddle, then pearl, so I figured I should get further back. My board was faced straight in to shore (perpendicular) and I could never stand to make that 45 degree angle ride across the break. Maybe someday...
darinr80
Mermaided

Postby Ron Burgundy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Darin, you might be getting in a little late too for having a longboard. Try sitting further out than the shortboarders and getting a jump on your paddle so you're up on your feet before it breaks. Longboards don't have much rocker so it helps to get in a little early.
I'm Ron Burgundy, go f#ck yourself San Diego
Ron Burgundy
I tube ride side saddle

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf