Change font size   Print view

Eugene vs Salem

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Eugene vs Salem

Postby bluenoser » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:16 am

Howdy folks,

I'm looking to move or Oregon in the next month or two. I'd love to live along the coastal highway but most of the jobs in my field are in larger centers. I have the opportunity to move to Eugene or Salem. I'm wondering which location offers the better surfing opportunities? As far as I can tell they are both similar distances from the ocean.

Any advise would be much appreciated,

bluenoser
bluenoser
Mermaided

Re: Eugene vs Salem

Postby Spent » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Do you like Cold, Fickle Sharky waves or do you like Sharky, Fickle and Cold waves?

This wave is closer to Salem

This wave is closer to Eugene
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby bluenoser » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:37 am

Nice pics! Sharks have never been an issue for me. As for fickle and cold, I'm from Nova Scotia, I expect Oregon to seem like paradise for it's warmth and consistence. Ever surf in waves that are literally solidifying as you surf them? Ever have your view obstructed by the 3 inch ice cycles hanging from the beak of your hood? Have you ever had your car door freeze shut while you were surfing and have to break your own window to get in and avoid freezing to death? I have :)
bluenoser
Mermaided

Postby Spent » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:36 pm

No sir. Respect.

From what I hear Nova Scotia has some great set ups though... You might miss some of the reefs and points you had back there.

There are some notable exceptions but Oregon generally has a lot of shifty, unpredictable beach break, which means scoring can be a challenging but you can score and with very few people around if you're lucky. Happy hunting.

I'd choose Eugene, if I were you, because I'd want to be closer to the Southern Oregon coast and Salem isn't that exciting.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby bluenoser » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:07 pm

On the right day NS can be truly special, but the cold and lack of consistence wear on you over the years...

I'm excited for new adventure and a new chapter of life in Oregon. You know what they say, you don't know unless you go :)
bluenoser
Mermaided

Postby Tex » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Welcome to OR Bluenoser...I am more of a north coast guy, you will find some really fun waves up here too.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Tex » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Also, I would say Eugene is a much cooler town than Salem...I lived down there in the early 90's, good times and easy access to Central and South coast. To all the Salem locals, I am not trying to say that town is bad, just not my choice.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby smithgrind » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:50 pm

Eugene for the win. More rabble rousers, sticky icky icky, and closer to the banana belt when you need some California dreamin'.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby McDing » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:04 am

Nice pics of closed out junk spend.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf