Change font size   Print view

What's up with this surf?

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: What's up with this surf?

Postby X-squid » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:37 pm

I was blowing chunks Saturday a.m. and didn't make it out. Looks to be back to...what was it...Oregon El Nino Irritable Bowel Syndrome...? Heh.

@ darinr80: I run 12-15 miles a week and do a sh!tload of cardio with 5-10lb weights. That keeps me from burning out the 1st 20 mins in heavy-ish water, even if I haven't paddled out in a couple weeks.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Albeit surfable not sure you missed much on Sat X-squid. At least from what I heard. And yes the "OR El Nino IBS" LOL. Anyone else feel like were the only ones NOT getting epic waves right now? Last week seemed to be firing from Santa Barbra to Nova Scotia. :evil: Bummer is now the snow levels are high too.

Darin ignorance is often bliss and ones assumptions based on knowledge are often correct. :wink:

Oh the gym. YEA! Usual gym routine here. 2-3 days a week a little cardio, core strengthening, and light weight training plus lap swimming 1-2 days and 5+ mile RT bike commute everyday. Keeps the endurance up and swimming seems to help with wave catching and just feeling comfortable in the water after a few weeks dry. Daily light yoga and stretching and snowboard in the winter when there's no surf. Still 6lbs over fighting weight and middle age creeping hard. My peak seemed to be about 5-7 years ago. Not charging the sized waves I used to. 7' semi collecting dust. shite haven't even busted out my 6'6" step up this season. Blame it on to much soy, lowering testosterone levels, fatherhood, lack of opportunity, etc.

Hard to train for. Even if I am feeling in shape once I am to my feet is a different story. Then foot placement is often off and cant seem to stick common maneuvers consistently when the opportunity presents itself anymore. That said, with all the pros training now there are apps, books, and vids on the subject.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:52 pm

It's winter surf in Oregon, keep your expectations low or better yet, do some traveling.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:05 am

I usually score my best waves in the winter in the beginning of the year easily. Time is fleeting. Spring is fickle and when I like to travel. Hoping for a good one this year though.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Yeah some travel would be nice - not doing anything until next year. 3 weeks in Japan though. My in-laws live minutes way from several of the best breaks in the country.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:22 am

Major Lazer wrote: Time is fleeting.

Like tears in the rain.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby X-squid » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:29 am

Spent wrote:
Major Lazer wrote: Time is fleeting.

Like tears in the rain.

So effing poetic...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby bluenoser » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Major Lazer, I miss Cow Bay these days. I used to be frustrated by long flat periods on the east coast. Temperatures well below the freezing point aren't fun either. Now I'd kill for a chest to head high day on a Nova Scotia point break. My ride time on one good wave there probably equals the ride time I've had in the approximate 6 hours I've spend in the water here since November. I guess "you don't know unless you go".

Summer is good though right? Do you folks think the surf is significantly better in southern Oregon? How about Santa Cruz or San Diego? Hope those aren't bad words here on the Oregon surf forum. I can deal with crowds if necessary. I'd take crowds over poor surf conditions any day.

darinr80, I've always felt the only way to truly be fit for surfing was to surf. I'm a fit guy. I exercise 5-6 days a week, I lift weights, swim, run, do yoga. I'm also a former competitive swimmer and even though I'm in my mid-30's I can still go under a minute for 100M free style. Despite all that, I still find my shoulder and back muscles get tired super easily if I'm not surfing one or twice a week.

A wise old man once told me that if you live somewhere it's flat all the time you should jump on your surfboard and paddle everyday anyway. I'd often check one of the local spots and see him paddling by himself on a flat day in sub-zero temperatures. He's in his 60's now and I've never seen him paddle for a wave he didn't get. Of course he called Sunset beach home for 18 years during the 70's and 80's... that probably makes a pumping day of 10 foot NS point break a whole lot less intimidating. In any case darinr80, if you really want to surf well that's my advise, paddle everyday no matter what the conditions are like. I used to do the same in the all summer when I worked as a beach lifeguard and come the fall hurricane swell I could feel the difference.
bluenoser
Mermaided

Postby X-squid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:27 pm

bluenoser wrote:
Summer is good though right? Do you folks think the surf is significantly better in southern Oregon? How about Santa Cruz or San Diego? Hope those aren't bad words here on the Oregon surf forum. I can deal with crowds if necessary. I'd take crowds over poor surf conditions any day.

Summer can be as disappointing as winter, but for different reasons (ankle slappers, kook/hipster beach blanket bingo soft-top longboard party waves any day the sun is out, the compulsory dude with an acoustic guitar, a cooler of Pabst, and a beat up garage-sale 5'11" thruster missing a side fin under his arm at Short Sands, etc., etc.).

As far as points south go, I grew up surfing S.Cal (San Diego and Orange Counties,) and I wouldn't trade the wave quality down there for the the crowds and BS you have to deal with. Yeah you have to work a bit harder up here, and seeing how it's just going off everywhere else in the damn country but here right now is absolute torture...

All said I think overall the surfing experience up here is more rewarding. Granted I'm over 40 and don't really shred, have kids and a busy life, etc., so my lens on surfing and what I get out of it are relative with that (I'm *not* a logger though... :) ) I've only been surfing Oregon for 3 years now, but this winter has been hands-down the worst quality-wise since I got back in the water for what it's worth.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 pm

i'd recommend quitting. especially to anyone over 30.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:35 am

3 years huh Squid? Sounds like you have it all figured out. Californians :lol:

Summer surf can be hit or miss. You can always paddle out and for that reason people eat it up. Every summer does seem to get more crowded and the fukery Squid accounts is fairly accurate on the North Coast. But at this point you just have to embrace it and remember the good ole days.

bluenoser definitely take a trip down the coast for sure. South coast is some of the most beautiful coast in the world. Santa Cruz and Ventura have right points galore. Sure crowded, but one wave at the Queen can equal a months worth or more here. Now would be the time as El Nino has been non stop and people are getting lazy from what I hear.

Flexed the sched and surfed on Tues. Thought it was going to be good, but have had better recently. Was closing out and not holding up as nicely as my last 5 or 6 sessions. Prob should have opted for pow laps today, but got to pay the bills.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:29 pm

Weekend is looking up. Gonna skip the Suck Bowl and surf.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:03 pm

X-squid wrote:Weekend is looking up. Gonna suck a Bowl and go skip.

:!:
Spent

Postby X-squid » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Spent wrote:
X-squid wrote:Weekend is looking up. Gonna suck a Bowl and go skip.

:!:

Maybe that too.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby smithgrind » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:48 pm

bluenoser wrote: I can deal with crowds if necessary. I'd take crowds over poor surf conditions any day.

Why not both? You can have your cake and eat it too. The surf world is your oyster here on the Oregon coast.
smithgrind
greystoke

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf