Change font size   Print view

Domestic Local PNW Shapers

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Domestic Local PNW Shapers

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:48 pm

There seems to be quite a few these days esp in OR. Experience and boards under the belt varies. And a lot seem to be making wave catching shapes geared more towards fun, maybe not so much performance oriented.

Ascetics aside who's making the best performance shapes with average oregon wave types in mind? Who has a good rocker dialed, can hide the foam and put it in the right places, and make a shortboard (no fishes) that will turn in a critical situation yet make those flat spots and paddle into waves with ease? Who's in the water testing their shapes or has a good pool of riders to gain feedback from?
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Domestic Local PNW Shapers

Postby X-squid » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:32 pm

I own/have owned several boards from local shapers. Had a NWSD speed egg by Scott Rawley but I never really dialed it in- traded for a similar Shuler shape that was much more to my liking. I have another Shuler (hybrid-fish) that he custom shaped for me but that's not what you're after... the only thing in my quiver resembling HPSB is by an HB shaper and I haven't even ridden it yet :?

That said... if I was going to get a HPSB from a local shaper I would start with Shuler. I just like the guy personally and I think he knows his shite.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Spent » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:06 pm

never had a bad board from art colyer.

been enjoying a murdey shape recently. definitely more a fun shape than a performance shape though.... but i'd place another order with him for sure.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:28 pm

When nothing means everything you've got all the bases covered even if you don't know whose on first.
I'd say Art and Dan have been at it for a long time, so has Lanny, but I don't do eps.
Let's get back to the days when OSPers were shaping their own boards and not giving a f@#K.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:13 am

Interesting. Good feedback. Thanks.

Shuler yes. Lots of experience, creativity, and a charterer at that. EPS aka ping-pong ball construction has its flex and response limitations without some type of dampening or flex technology. I know he has it dialed but its not for everyone.

Art. Is he still cranking out a lot of boards? Haven't seen as many as I did 8 or so years ago. I get the feeling hes not evolving his shapes focusing on kite and SUPs? That said, he def has some proven shapes and the Bug is probably closest to what I am looking for. No info on bottom contours. Any one ride on of these? http://northpacificsurf.com/product/bug/

Scott looks like he's come up with some new models. I like the sound of this one, "ARS - All Round Shorty. Your everyday shortboard for smaller surf. A wider and flatter version of the SXSY with a fuller rail. Fuller rail a boxy tailblock with a deep single concave." But not a deep single.

Maybe this, with the ARS plan shape with a smidge more width in the nose?
"EASYRIDER - Lower nose entry rocker, moderate tail rocker. Fuller template for versatility and paddle power. Single to double concave to vee. A basic performance shortboard for all kinds of surf."

All of these guys have the most experience and been around the longest for sure, who else is pushing the limits of high performance shapes?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:03 pm

I had Art make me scaled up bug for average to bigger surf. It was/ is great but I passed it on to a friend to make room for a Stretch. I wouldn't mind a bug in the 6' to 6'2" range for every day type Oregon surf. Single to double concave on mine. Mellow entry rocker. Because mine was longer, Art added a bit more tail rocker which was a great call. Lots of volume under the chest but nicely foiled out the back.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:28 pm

OK Bug with refinements. Good to know.

Took some time to check out Murdey's models. Other than a few other guys on the coast not mentioned yet, he would probably sit under the aforementioned shapers discussed above as far as boards out of the bay. Know he's a great glasser and this particular model is speaking to me.
The What. Chappy and I have been refining this one for the last few years to create a unique combination of low rocker, full volume and a fairly pointy nose specifically designed for Northwest waves. The 80's flatness and volume allow for great wave catching ability while the modern single to double concave gives this board some punch. The pulled nose fits in tighter spots and the recommended quad keeps the speed to make those sections. Epic!

Anyone have/ride on of these? I haven't seen Chappy around in a long time either.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:51 pm

I felt up Chappy's when he got the prototype...

I'd imagine you'd want something it bit more refined... but I do believe its in Murdey's skill set to get you there. Hit him up for a chat. He learned a lot from Art, Gerry and so on...
Spent

Postby smithgrind » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:05 am

Major Lazer wrote:OK dBug with refinements. Good to know.

Anyone have/ride on of these? I haven't seen Chappy around in a long time either.

The stoke is strong with Chappy, no need to see when one can feel. Whispers of him holed up
in PO, winning the good fight at Battle Rock and bringing the Hubbah Hubbah to a sometimes cantankerous
Creek...who can say? Me, I've decided to stop sweating a new board, wiped myself clean of this dirty feeling
of desire and thrown in the towel on what I think i need. I just need to freakin surf, that's really all there is to it.

Best wishes on your search.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 am

Not necessarily in the market more or less curious and have had enough surf recently to keep me thinking about it. After going through a bucket list of shred shapers the last several years, I would probably go local again and it seems some things have changed or maybe not?

The quest is for the narrow nosed performance small wave board. I have HP groveler shape I could easily off when the masses start getting their spring fling on. And once this pattern breaks and the swell drops in the 3'-6' I am hoping to strike some of my fav steep open facing beachies during their limited windows of windless conditions. Might be wishful thinking this year, but it would be nice to have my feet in the wax of a freshie to motivate. :P
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Major Lazer wrote: And once this pattern breaks and the swell drops in the 3'-6' I am hoping to strike some of my fav steep open facing beachies during their limited windows of windless conditions.

Exactly what I'm waiting for to break in my new sled - very similar to that Murdey shape pictured. 6'2", similar rocker, and more volume up front where you need it around here. Can't wait to get it wet. Yeah... that's what she said.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby smithgrind » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Major Lazer wrote: Might be wishful thinking this year, but it would be nice to have my feet in the wax of a freshie to motivate. :P

Blast me with some dims, MajLaz...I know your size, what are we talking about here? under 6' over 5'10"? 20" at the min.?
2.5" thick? ...Lost short round, Roberts WD3, CI Pod? 5 fin option? let's froth about it...
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby buoyhead » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Geez...what a bunch of kooks.
Maybe next you can start a thread discussing your profound knowledge of brain surgery.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
buoyhead
Plover Murderer

Postby X-squid » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Hey did someone order up a troll?
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:16 am

Apparently so, with extra whiney sauce nonetheless.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf