Change font size   Print view

Look Surf

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Look Surf

Postby Tex » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:47 am

So I remember surf forecasting in the early days when I would read the Seattle Times swell and tide report....years before Surfline. Before that, there was no swell report, it was...."hey, I have a few days off, time to go surf....gee I sure hope it is good!"

Now there is a local surfer who gets 3-5 sessions per week on the Oregon coast and he happens to be the son of my next door neighbor. He has developed a local surf forecast tool that predicts wave height for individual beaches on the Oregon coast and rates days in blue, green and red.

Be sure to check the forecast tool here: https://look.surf/

If you are an initial skeptic like I was, use the free version. After 4 sessions of spot on accuracy, I am upgrading to the cheap as hell paid version which forecasts out a few more days in the future.

Well done Look Surf!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Look Surf

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Looks pretty slick, well designed and coded. JavaScript API perhaps with some SQL and NumPy on the back end? 8) Simple yet has all of the info I look at.

Overall rating systems are always tricky thou. Already see a flaw for Shorties, rating of green with south winds. That would be side shore onshore, albeit light at 3-4 knts. That's OK I never pay attention to those overall ratings. I'll put it to the test I guess.

Where was that pic when I 1st signed up!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Yeah that picture is pretty sick right? I thought it was somewhere near PC...maybe Kiwanda....but what do I know?
Agree- South wind at SS would typically not earn that spot the green light. Maybe they figure any wind under 5KTs isnt going to be a deal breaker?
Tex

Postby X-squid » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:07 am

Nice interface - similar to what else is out there but if it's accurate that's all that matters. Between the NOAA buoys, Surfline, Swellinfo, and Magic Seaweed, you can *maybe* piece together a decent OR forecast. Be nice to have a one-stop shop.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Boy LOOK really blew it today!

Supposed to be 3 @ 17 and its 2 @ 8 :roll: Tex are you scoring out there bruh?

Cant believe the flat spells we've had the last 5 weeks considering the really nice conditions.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Major...thanks for the update....and yes, we are scoring at home! "Looks" like they struck out on that forecast. The few times I have used it and actually went out, it was close to 90% accurate. So this is the first time I have heard of that forecast missing out.
Tex

Postby Tex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 am

I would say LOOK nailed it for Friday. Calling for 3-5 ft faces at Shortsands and the range was there for sure.
Tex

Postby Spent » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:16 am

I haven't looked yet.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf