Change font size   Print view

Oct Surf Report

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Oct Surf Report

Postby Spent » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:29 am

I got lucky. Real lucky. I hope you did too.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Re: Oct Surf Report

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 am

The luck has been somewhat plentiful IME so far. Had one of my top 5’s (in OR) this month with fun waves in the mix to boot. Best Oct I’ve had in recent memory so far.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 pm

I on the other hand am "0-fer-October"....common guys there is nobody on this site anymore, indulge in spot naming and session details all day long please.

My buddies scored some great days up in the Strait of Juan De Fuca last week....also, Hoko has been going off!
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 am

OK Tex.

Saturday early high tide at a popular spot. Few people out but no one further down the beach. Milk glass. Slopey but decent size on the outside bar that occasionally connected to a hollower inside shore break. Long carvey lefts. Speedier rights. F*cking fun.

Drove North, slashed some grinds at the skatepark.

Sat night. Crappy session at a spot that is rarely good but it was a nice place to watch the sun go down. Lots of close out rights but one back lit runner that made it worth it. Beer on the bluff was better.

Sun morn. Thought we'd blown it by being lazy and was expecting the wind to turn on. Checked several spots without checking one we usually like to go to in smaller swells and little wind. Finally decided to check it. I thought I was in for a quick few mediocre waves, then wind and then home... however,

some point break like rights really turned on and three of us milked the shite out of it three hours. Steep take offs close to the rocks, then mellow first sections for a nice little cutback, speedy middle section that offered enough time for a few solid turns and then if you're timing was right you could pump like a maniac through a final close out section. Waves were predictable and machine like... not common for Oregon sand bottom breaks... Long @ss rides. We were joined by a few people here and there but no one wanted the peak so we had way more than we deserved. One of my best sessions at this spot. Right board, right time, completely unexpected. Surfed myself into exhaustion.
Spent

Postby Tex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Made my day Spent....felt like it was 2012 all over again on the OSP!
Seriously thanks so much for the story, great read and glad you boys got some!
Tex

Postby Spent » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:52 am

Ha. thanks!

Yeah, still buzzing but its fading as I'm on 'oncall lockdown' not to mention the storm thats raging out there. later next week... looks like another potential window...
Spent

Postby Tex » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Sneaking out early tomorrow am ....could be interesting.
Tex

Postby Spent » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:24 am

Friday turned out nice. Unreal weather. Decent waves. Not super crowded.
Spent

Postby Tex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 am

Friday was so unreal...Spent, just the weather alone was kinda insane. I ended up at Shory's around 8:45 am. It was already nice and warm. I ended up picking off a bushel of really fun waves near 2nd and 3rd creek. Almost thought I was in Mexico there for a minute.
Tex

Postby Spent » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:15 am

Glad you got some. T'was a stunning day.
Spent

Postby X-squid » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:57 am

Tex wrote:Friday was so unreal...Spent, just the weather alone was kinda insane. I ended up at Shory's around 8:45 am. It was already nice and warm. I ended up picking off a bushel of really fun waves near 2nd and 3rd creek. Almost thought I was in Mexico there for a minute.

I hit the Cove Friday a.m. - 2nd dude in the water and I got my fill before it got too busy. Best session in a while.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:00 am

Good on ya Squid...glad you got some!
I was watching the Pacific City cam yesterday....looked pretty darn good too.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 am

Friday was another ridiculous Oct day. Having some extra time on my hands workwise this past month been driving a bit further than usual camping and surfing some old spots of mine. But posted up closer to home this time at a sometimes quiet beachie that’s had a good bar since late spring and surfed all day. When I pulled in saw my hommie get a reeler with 2 or 3 turns to the beach with one other head out….. couldn’t get in my suit fast enough. A bit lully but fun CH to HH right hand wedges with just 1 or 2 others.

2nd sesh 18-22 second swell was pulsing and it was surprisingly holding overhead sets with some make-able barrels. After many good ones this season had my best wave of the fall so far, a stand up dry green tube that I managed to fly out of without even really trying for. Paid the piper thou trying to find another one getting beat down pulling into plenty more. Limped up the dunes and watched and unreal sunset high as a kite on good surf.

Yesterday went to my idea of church on my 45th birthday. Closet thing to lowers with just me and an old friend I’ve known for 25 years for about an hour before few other heads showed. After almost 6 weeks of clean living I broke down and had a few beers. Thank you mother ocean and October! Bout time you delivered consistently. Last time I remember one this good was 2008 I believe.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 am

Happy Birthday bro....couldnt imagine a better way to celebrate! Turning 46 later this month, hope to duplicate your day but probably up closer to Canada. Going on four years of clean living, best decision I ever made.
Tex

Postby Spent » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Pulled a sickie yesterday. 3@13 with no wind. Scored a very predictable right to myself for 3 hours. Clearest water I've seen in Oregon. my 5'8" felt like a magic carpet. Conditions have been so fun, I can feel my surfing getting back to where it could be. After about 2 dozen or so long carvey rights and long paddles back to the peak I was exhausted...

Major Lazer is right... Best October in years... Hope November keeps the stoke alive....
Spent

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf