Change font size   Print view

Nov Surf Report

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Nov Surf Report

Postby Spent » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:18 am

Nappy surfing. Its a long ride.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Yeah, now my boys lip off, good times for sure, then they get all quiet and weird or super aggro. Luckily they are both into the ocean and skating so I am not really complaining all that much. Glad some of you are out there paddling around. Obviously we are all getting old, we should start a new thread....oh hell, I will just do it.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I'd consider myself to be in the golden age of parenting, kids are 6 and 9 now. You'd think I'd be getting more surf days now they are older, but last year I was down 10 days from 60+ the previous. I might attribute that to a poor year for waves locally and not taking my annual 10 day surf trip or even any regional surf forays. Not sure, feel like I'm grinding at work, trying to hold on to my job, keep up with the Jones's, and deal with the mid life middle class rat race I've gotten myself into.

Regardless we have a ton of fun. Both are solid swimmers and surfing. 6yo just started pop ups after about a year of just cruising prone. 9yo has been charging and surfed through last winter. Still riding whitewater, but can trim FS and BS occasional finding a small open face on a foamy reform. They haven't had a ton of interest in skateboarding yet other than some sidewalk surfing here and there, but I've been skating less and less unfortunately. Need to work on that. Both ski well too where they can hang and I can jib little features and slash pies while riding with them. Gonna get the oldest on a snowboard this winter at least a few times whether she likes it or not.

Speaking of Friday what looked to be 3 hours of work turned into 6+. Wasted money feeding the parking meter thinking I was gonna rip cord for a mid afternooner and my 2nd session of the week, but ended up getting rat fcked. Didn't look worth the drive Sat and Sun. Fixed some dings, teched and waxed the kids skis, hit the gym, and did chores. Bit of a contrast from Oct already with no mid week windows I can see......
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Major Lazer wrote:I'd consider myself to be in the golden age of parenting, .....

Nope, that's when they start changing your nappies for you, matey. Won't be long now...
Spent

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Yeah 6 and 9 were pretty good....I was definitely still the hero then.

Now I am the hard-@ss.....but I don't parent to have friends, trying to keep these guys on the up and up. Social media and teens are a complete shite show. Start learning about instagram and snapchat now. FB is not even of interest to this generation, they never go there cause thats where all the parents are.

ML, have you gotten your boys outside the break yet? I have gotten them outside up in the Strait but they are still nervous about the shorepound and getting past the first and second sandbars at SS. Any suggestions?
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 am

Not boys..... bad @ss OR girls. 9yo can paddle out to the line up, sit on board, and catch waves when its small at spots like Otter. Been taking em down there when I can. Good spot for my kids and can get away from the Portland crowd. Been avoiding North Coast peak summer months last few years.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Heard a tweet that it's going offshore this weekend at a very lively locale south of the state line. Long Boards may be involved, we'll see.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 am

Not seeing any swell to warrant that mish..... we've been getting storms but not really any swell.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 am

Major Lazer wrote:Not seeing any swell to warrant that mish..... we've been getting storms but not really any swell.

Not about 'Missions'- its about mediocre middle aged men with bad backs, high cholesterol, children, mortgages and soul-crushing jobs hitting the road when they can. Maybe they'll get some waves- but thats not really the point at this point. :mrgreen:
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am

Gotcha good luck. Not seeing anything over 10 seconds for the next 10 days. Kinda weird. Figured we'd surfer for Octobers smorgasbord.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Spent....I hear you bro....check boxes on every single one of those man, gotta go when you can....F the forecast.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 am

I hear ya...... when it go time, its go time.
Last edited by Major Lazer on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:32 pm

yeah, when it is on and I am home, I am not fun to be around either....heading out to Astoria for Thanksgiving, might circle back down the coast if there is a chance the conditions all line up next week.
Tex

Postby Tex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:33 pm

BOX....report please...thanks.
Tex

Postby BOX » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Made it out to Agate on Saturday early afternoon. Had meant to go in the morning, but life happened and I ended up having to put it off a bit. Might have missed some better waves, but it was good to get out nonetheless. My daughter came with me and brought her body board, so it was nice to spend some time with her.

Performance-wise, I've had better days. I got some good rides in, but felt like I spent a lot of time just trying to catch waves. It could have been just me, but my daughter said she had trouble catching them as well. Mind you, I'm just a beginner around here, but it seemed to me that there just wasn't enough "oomph". My typical M.O. is to catch waves as they crash behind me in the white water and use them to propel me towards shore as I practice my pop-ups, balance, and if I'm lucky, turns. On some days the waves push my board so hard I feel like I'm hanging on for dear life when I take off. However, on Saturday it felt like the opposite for the most part. Even when I would get good forward momentum by the time I was standing on my board I was at a standstill. I tried putting some more weight on my forward foot, and that helped some, but not enough to keep me going. As I said, could be the waves, could be my skill level, but I'm guessing it was probably a combination of both.

Due to the lack of big waves/propulsion, I didn't get too many chances to work on my drop-in. I can recall at least two attempts, one ending in me standing on my board going nowhere after the wave passed under me, and the other sending me face-first into a spin cycle. Got a nice nasal rinse from that one :)

But, on the positive side, I did catch a few and got some good rides in (relative to my experience level), so not all was lost. Plus I got to spend a few hours hanging out with my daughter, so you know, can't complain about that. There are no bad days in the water :D
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf