Change font size   Print view

Wetsuit thread

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Wetsuit thread

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:09 pm

Given how hard it's been to get 'prene lately, figured I'd get while the gettin' was good. Hoping to get a less cumbersome pair from need essentials when they restock. Highly recommend looking into them for wetsuit needs; I've found that their sizes are pretty consistent with the big name brands, so if you don't mind winging it online it could save you a few pennies and you get a damn good suit for the price.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 am

This one?
https://www.needessentialsusa.com/collections/mens-wetsuits/products/5-4mm-premium-thermal-hooded-chest-zip-wetsuit-new
How do you like the fit of the hood? Chin piece looks a little aggressive. Perhaps a built in Rona mask?

Durability? How long have you had yours?
Close outs just make me cranky
Major Lazer
foamball on the rocks please

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Just replaced my xcel 5/4 with this one, but it's still on ice. I have a couple 4/3's -- one old, one newish. The new one has that exaggerated chin piece-- warm, but can feel like an oversized turtle neck; it hasn't inhibited my surfing tho, nor do I find it especially uncomfortable. But I haven't used this one much because my older 4/3 -- going on two years-- is going strong. Most, if not all, of the wear and tear is my own damn fault and despite a few patches, it remains water tight. No issues with the stitching, zippers, or general function. 4/3 with interior liner holds in the warmth, even on deep winter days, but I'm not especially sensitive to cold... No complaints here, but people who have difficulty finding a good fitting suit in general have told me that the need essentials didn't cut it for them... But I found the LS xcel to translate pretty well to LS NE, which were the last few suits I bought. Low price point is reflection of business model; no skimping on construction and materials near as I can tell.

https://www.needessentialsusa.com/colle ... etsuit-new
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Been rocking my 4.5 Hyperfreak and hooded rashey, feels awesome and so flexy, but don't think a 4 would cut it for me all the time esp after some wear. Maybe a Psycotech 4 which has smoothie front back and hood. Guess we will see what's available in a few months.
Major Lazer

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:32 am

I second the Needs Essentials wetsuits. I got a 4/3 when they first came out. Still good and its had a decent amount of use. I'd like to try their top line hooded 4/3 bc they do an XLS which is perfect for me but that size obviously isn't priority at the moment.

Anyway, I haven't purchased a wetsuit in years. I've been rotating the same 3 raggedy old pieces of shit. Might be time...
Channel Bottommed Twin Fin Mid Length
Chanel Derrière
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:20 pm

How you guys use a 4/3? Been frio this past year with La Nina.
Major Lazer

Postby Howly Wolf » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:25 pm

Major Lazer wrote:How you guys use a 4/3? Been frio this past year with La Nina.

While I like to think it's because I'm a big tough surfer, it's more likely due to the wool liner in the 4/3. Butt cold February air temp? No problem. Butt cold July water temp? Whatevah. The only reason I ordered a new 5/4 is to have the option if I really need it...
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Chanel Derrière » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 pm

There's been days when the 4/3 is plenty. My personal fav is the 4.5/ 3.5 Xcel comp (no smooth skin). Light flexible and warm enough for 90% of Oregon days... I have a 5/4 dry lock for the east wind winter days. All my suits are at least two years old at this point with a few little repairs here and there.
Chanel Derrière
Plover Murderer

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:03 am

Fresh Hyperfreak 4.5 has been in the rotation and so light and flexy. Still even with zero leaks and hooded rashey I get chilled. But mostly when sitting idle and during those sunset seshies where I linger until last light, which is a common scenario for yo.
Major Lazer

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:03 pm

And Ill take that as 2 worthy reviews for the Needs suits. Other then the weird looking hood I like the design of the 5, the fact it has lining, and a smoothie panel on the back. $220 price point is kinda redic too.
Major Lazer

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 pm

I liked the xcel comp except for that useless magnetic zipper. Also the tye dye liner would give me rib rash if I used the suit multiple times in short succession. Weird.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Chanel Derrière » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:12 pm

My magnet is still good on my Xcel comp.

Also, my Needs Essential is hoodless so couldn't speak to your hood concerns ML.
Chanel Derrière
Plover Murderer

Previous

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf