Change font size   Print view

Wetsuit thread

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Wetsuit thread

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm

What have you been wearing? Kinda need a new one, but just blew my money on ski passes.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Re: Wetsuit thread

Postby pra_ggresion » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Got a $200(new) 5/3 Quicksilver that seems to be more 3 than 5. It was super toasty the first couple weeks but I went on a month long roadie and once I was back up here, it hasn't been handling it longer than an hour and a half. Pay for what you get. I'd like to get a $350 suit. Probably an Excel Infinity. They seem to fit me the best and apparently they're using the same Tokyo rubber as Vissla now. Everyone's been raving about Vissla lately it seems.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Tex » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:36 am

I have been using RipCurl my whole surfing career starting with a suit I bought in Seattle at Gregg's Greenlake Cycle with the fluorescent orange and yellow arm/legs. It was a 4/3 but the material they were using in 89 was not exactly as good as what they have now.

Last month I picked up the RC Flashbomb 5/5/4 and loving it.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Spent » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

Vissla's are cheap in price. I wonder how they hold up.

Still using the Excel Infinites. I have one thats over 5 years old. Its crusty and stiff with a few repair jobs but still keeps me warm for 3 hours... I have a newer one for cold days. I never spend more than $300 on a wettie. I just buy older models.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby X-squid » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am

5/4 O'Neill Superfreak for the cold days - super toasty. Have had it 2 seasons now and it's in great shape still. Have owned 2 of Excel's low-end 4/3s for the warmer days - not as happy with those but they are cheap (back-zip: the velcro gets kinked up and is annoying AF.) Will probably try a Vissla for my next 4/3.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Heard good stuff about those O'Neils.....wouldnt mind trying them out one day.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:53 pm

O'Neil's have been on point lately, since they came out with the Techno Butter neoprene. Specifically the 5.5 Psycotechs. So light and well buttery. I was an Xcel guy for almost a decade and switched maybe 5 years ago now. Very well priced considering they are a high end suit on par with the Xcel Drylock yet +100 cheaper. And when did weties start costing 500+!

That said I do have a 4mil Xcel Infinity I got on the cheap for the days that warrant it. Has that TDC tie die looking liner. Honestly wet, its heavier than my 5.5 mill Psycotech. For what its worth.... did an unintended drying comparison recently. Rinsed 2 suits simultaneously; Xcel 4/3 Infinity and the O'Neill 5.5/4 Pyscotech. Hung to dry in same spot (shaded tree branch). Thicker millimeter, but lighter Pyscotech dried much faster than the Xcel.

Both models are probably 2 or 3 years old. I have been pretty impressed with the durability of the the O'Neil. Its on its 3rd season, which is when I normally replace my 5mil and is still fairly warm. Xcel is piling on the inside arms and cuffs are kinda shredded, but seams seem to be ok. I only wear maybe a dozen times a year though.
Last edited by Major Lazer on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Not so sure about Vislas. I don't think they have any interior lining. With all the wind, that's a deal breaker for me. Not sure I've heard the best reviews on durability either.

I think if I was going to get a no frills suit, I'd try this one:

https://www.needessentialsusa.com/collections/surf/products/5-4mm-hood

Anyone? Looks like they are coming out with a lined suit soon too.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 pm

I sure like the price! Seems like lots of dudes are cashing in on Nike HOMEY deals to get really cheap/disposable Hurley suits.
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Tex wrote:I sure like the price! Seems like lots of dudes are cashing in on Nike HOMEY deals to get really cheap/disposable Hurley suits.

Morally I try to avoid all disposable goods and surfwise I try to get the longest duration of use out of my gear. Which leads me to the Patagonia Yulex suits.Very interested. Anyone?

Read this for context: https://theintercept.com/2017/03/24/a-louisiana-town-plagued-by-pollution-shows-why-cuts-to-the-epa-will-be-measured-in-illnesses-and-deaths/
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 am

Major Lazer wrote:Morally I try to avoid all disposable goods and surfwise I try to get the longest duration of use out of my gear. Which leads me to the Patagonia Yulex suits.Very interested. Anyone?

Tried one last spring. Super tight across the shoulders and chest. Almost busted out a hemorrhoid trying to get it off in the changing room. My mind spins thinking of getting in and out of a wet one. Ended up lurking at the back of the rack at Gorge and found an R3 the last year before they went to Yulex. I had to bump up from my usual MS in Rip Curl, Xcel to a M in Patagucci and I like the rubber they used before the Yulex switch.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby smithgrind » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:12 am

I still haven't spent over $275 for a hooded 5/4. That Patagucci R3 was clearance priced at $225. My latest Rip Curl
5.5/4.5 E-Bomb was $260 on sale. Last year's, clearance, on sale, outlet...never retail.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 am

Nice score on Patagucci..... I've heard similar stories on Yulex. You can find em for fairly cheap right now too. Prob why.

Black Fri sales are always a good opp to secure a current years suit for 20 to 30 percent off. Think I'm gonna try and get another season out of my current 5mil even though I could easily replace it and have a solid back up.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Bought into O'Neil.......... Psycho Tech again. Couldn't resist. Got a Cyborg Monday 30% off deal from Moment. $330.00 out the door with free dry bag! Don't think my old suit woulda made it much longer as my primary. Esp if we get some Dec Feb offshore just above freezing days. And don't want to freeze on that epic winter day or that shitey upwealed July day. Don't get enough waves and work to hard to be in that situation.

New TB3 looks and feels nice and sizing has improved for me. I used to be between the Med and Large, but now Large fits perfect. Maybe I've gotten fatter.... Also like the lack of logos on the current model. Best bang for you buck suit fir PNW IMO. Stoked!

Only thing Id change if I could would be getting rid of the key pocket on outer calf and making it a 5 mill instead of 5.5. Not sure a .5 mill really helps or is needed here. Now I need some fing waves.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 pm

black Friday coincided with a work bonus so i got my first dry lock Xcel for just over $300. Infinitys have been solid for me, so I'm curious how much better the dry lock could be... we shall see...
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf