Change font size   Print view

Wetsuit thread

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Wetsuit thread

Postby Howly Wolf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:54 am

Ha yeah we will see. Haven't had a pair in years, but the upside was a new life as cycle commuting gloves on wet days. Should prob go with 3 mil as the thin ones tend to fall apart, but I've gotten by for many years with the 1.5's. Woulda liked to try a pair of Hyperflex cause the East Coast guys wear gloves a lot more than we have to. Next time I guess....... Your stoked on the new boots!
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Went for an unremarkable surf session earlier this month. While changing back out I noticed that one of the seams had started to come apart leaving about a dime-sized hole in the groin.

I bought the suit back in May so it was still under warranty. I contacted the company and they had me send it in for repair. I mailed it off a couple of weeks ago and haven’t heard anything since. I’m cautiously optimistic all goes well.

The suit’s a Quiksilver Synchro 5/4/3 for added info. Why did I get a budget kook model? Well, I’m on a budget and I’m a kook… plus my last suit (same brand, model) lasted me almost four years so I figured I could count on this one for a few seasons as well. That didn’t quite work out.

Anyway, what are you all’s experiences with wetsuit repairs? Is this going to hold or should I be saving up my nickels for another brand of wettie?
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby BOX » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks, Howly. I appreciate the reply. I got the wetsuit back today in the mail (I guess all I had to do was post on the OSP to make it appear). I was a little leery at first. It came back in the exact same box I sent it off in looking like it had gone through all kinds of hell (think the first few minutes of Ace Ventura…). However, I pulled it out and the repair looks pretty good. Could hardly tell on the outside and on the inside you can see where it had been glued up and the seams re-taped and sealed. Now hopefully it holds. I’d rather not buy another wetsuit right away already. I’m still trying to save up and build that quiver.

A while back when my old suit started getting holes I watched a few vids about repairs with dental floss. Lots of people saying it works, but I was skeptical. I was happy that this new suit was still under warranty so I didn’t have to rely on my ability to get it done. We’ll see what happens when it inevitably splits again the day after the warranty runs out…

I did read through this thread while waiting for the wettie to return and also noted Spent’s testimonial on the Need Essentials. With your endorsement I’ll definitely check them out if I end up having to spring for another suit. Let me know how it holds up in the winter season. I tend to run cold naturally, so having something toasty is definitely a must.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Talk about cold as balls...... sounds like your set now with the repair and ready for weeks of 20' swells. :lol:

Rule of thumb, always use your warranty before making any DIY repairs as that will often void warranty. I've had numerous repairs done through O'Neil and Hotline with good results. If you go back in this thread there was a guy from HR (forget his handle at the moment) exclaiming the praises of O'Neils repair guy.

As for Quick suits never had one, well I have a 2mill top for travel, but nothing technical. I'd imagine their higher end suits are decent. As for the Cypher it sounds like you have had good luck and personal experience is always good. Guessing for about 30 dollars more, you could have gotten a Hotline and if durability is what you are after, they are second to none and can vouge for their warranty and repairs.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:36 pm

Major Lazer wrote:you could have gotten a Hotline and if durability is what you are after, they are second to none and can vogue for their warranty and repairs.

To see you vogue in yer hotline...priceless.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Well while I am here I can now vouge for the O'Neil Hyperfreak 5.5. Having it for a year now I can say I've put it though the test durability wise. 1st off as I mentioned before this is the lightest stretcheyst 5 mill suit I have owned. I was a little skeptical about the no smoothie, but it has been an non issue and been toasty the last few months with water sometimes in the high 40s. Going on a year its held up quite well. Maybe a few tiny leaks I feel when I 1st hit the water, but super minor. Some pilling going on with the liner but not as bad as the Xcel tie die liner. Suit will last me another year as a primary and probably 2 as a back up. Picked up the 4mill hoodless version on Black Fryay and it feels unbelievably lightweight. Hoping to test in deep Baja in the next few months if not will be a while before I use it at the locals.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:01 pm

sounds like your set now with the repair and ready for weeks of 20' swells

Yeah, I haven’t been out since getting it back. Work schedule, limited daylight and big winter swells have kept me dry lately. At least this didn’t happen in the summer I guess.

I've had numerous repairs done through O'Neil and Hotline with good results

Yeah, while waiting for my suit to get back I read a lot from folks who had good experiences with O’Neill’s warranty/exchange service. Enough to make me seriously consider one of their suits down the line (hopefully a while down the line…).

I joke about it being kooky but my last Quiksilver suit did me well. I bought it when I was completely clueless (now I’m just mostly clueless) and it kept me warm for multiple seasons, including those first rough beginner ones. I’m a bit disappointed that the new model didn’t hold up as well. When I wished that I would be ripping in my new wettie, this is not what I had intended :lol:

Durability is definitely what I’m after, so next time I’m in the market I’m going to save a few more nickels and consider suits that hold up a little better and definitely have good warranty/repair programs. In the meantime, I'm hoping this repair was just an anomaly and I get a little bit more life out of this purchase.
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:43 am

New DaKine suits look interesting.
Comp
High end ziperless
Limestone mobetta than TB3?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:16 am

Anyone ever actually used a Dakine wetsuit over a meaningful number of seasons?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:46 pm

Just hit the market a few weeks ago. That question will have to wait. Id assume they are going to be as good/durable as any of the other players as they are all made in the same few factories. DaKine is using the one in Thailand, but not sure what other brands are coming out of that one. I haven't tried the limestone neoprene. Been on the O'Neil Technobutter for years now. Will circle back on my review of the Hyperfreak as it is nearing the end of its life.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Howly Wolf » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:00 pm

Zzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:46 am

Buell wetsuits anyone? Hearing good things and 3 bills for a suit is quite a good deal. I am going to need a new 5 mill come winter, but my current one is not quite dead.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Howly Wolf wrote:I picked up a pair of Dakine gloves a few weeks ago.

Good to know. I am in the market for a new pair too. Typically opt for 1.5's, but like the 2's I am seeing. 3's just feel to thick for the avg 50's. That said, they don't ever last long maybe 2 seasons at best. This La Nina has had me in gloves more than I remember. I typically only wear em Nov through March-ish, but I wore em until June this past year. Kinda getting tired of that initial stinging and inching post surf. Doesn't seem like the water is going to warm up to the 60's late summer early fall like it has the past few years. :?
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf