Change font size   Print view

Wetsuit thread

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: Wetsuit thread

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:38 am

Not I. Have read decent reviews. 6/5/4 would be overkill. 5/4/3 would be the standard. Been in a 4 mill majority of this last month, but waters been warmer then the usual 53 degree avg.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:54 am

On another note returned the Comp X. I take everyone's word for it here, but fit was not perfect. That and I felt up an O'Neil Hyperfreak, which they just started making in a 5 mill and was probably the lightest suit at that thickness I've ever felt. It has the same TB3 rubber as the Psycotech, but no smooth skin which you guys have gotten me hyped on. It's basically O'Neil's version of the Comp X. A lower price point, but apparently greater flexibility.

Other small things I concluded with the Comp X. It was slightly heavier than my Psycotech and dint have a bill on the hood. Although I could live with out it, kinda like it for keeping sun and rain out of my eyes. Otherwise seemed like a pretty dope suit. Holding out for black Fri/Cyber Mon deals and my current 4 and 5 mill suits have been just fine esp with the warmer water temps on tap lately 8)
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:00 am

My Need Essentials 4/3 has been great. I was going to bite the bullet on their 'Ultra Premium' hooded 4/3 but I logged onto the Aussie website by accident and saw a price jump... So I looked for a Xcel Comp X instead and got a killer deal on 4.5/3.5.

Fits great and feels super flexy and light, even next to a hoodless 4/3... Hoping to try it on a little roadie this Friday-Sunday but might not need it... Was also a little disappointed that the hood has no visor also but I think I can live with that. get a better tan..

I'll say it again though, if you're on a budget Need Essentials are killer.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Howly Wolf » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:57 am

Zzzz
Last edited by Howly Wolf on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl can be?
Howly Wolf
baitfish expert

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:25 am

My 4/3mm Needs Essential is showing some signs of wear but its been the only suit I used since May and its nothing too major... Waiting for the water to cool to bust out the comp X 4.5/ 3.5...
Spent

Postby McDing » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Again! Hands down for the money$$$. Any suit by Hyperflex.
McDing
Am I addicted to this?

Postby Spent » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:54 pm

Comp X is one of my most comy suits to date. Super flexy and fits great. I surfed with the hood down yesterday and usually this causes more constraints than its worth but it felt good. I will say though, its nowhere near as warm as an Drylock or Infinity.
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Water has def cooled.....but a fisherman told me its still 67ish 20NM out and the Tuna bite is still on.

Did the Comp X not replace the Infinity? Kinda what I was thinking.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:59 am

I think they still do the Infinity and the Comp X. The Comp X is supposed to prioritize stretch not warmth. First hooded suit I've had that feels comfy with the hood down as its thinner. Anyway, I think without the smooth skin it will get cold on East winds days but so far I'm digging it. (Mine is the 4.5 x 3.5mm)
Spent

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:23 am

Looked at Bong suit yesterday and was surprisingly intreged. Remember them making some OK suits in early 90's when zipper-less was a thing.

https://www.cleanlinesurf.com/billabong-furnace-comp-5-4-hooded-chest-zip-wetsuit.html

Basically their comp version suit. Felt super light stretchy and liner was soft and comfy. Apparently made from recycled tires, so a good eco option and much cheaper compared to Patagonia.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:37 am

Been really liking the board feel of the Xcel 5 mill Split Toe, but had to pick up a pair of the tried and true Hotline (7 mill) when I saw a practically new pair in my size on CL. The work boot of surf booties and only 7 mill split toe I know of. After a few surfs in them last week when things seemed to change for the colder I was reminded how comfy and warm these boots are.

Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Anyone here try those Vans booties?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 am

Only avail in 3 mill, this ain't SoCal, and they look like more of a fashion statement to me. Even your grandma wears skate highs or old schools these days. :roll:
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am

I first saw those watching Josh Mulcoy in his latest Alaska trip captured really well by none other than our own MM. Shocked 3 mil gets the job done up there.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

PreviousNext

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf