Change font size   Print view

Injury Report

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Injury Report

Postby Tex » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Seems like the older I get a win is getting a session in without making anything hurt worse.

My elbow gets all tweaked after a couple of hours of paddling. My left should is pretty much worthless and I swear I have some type of shite growing in my ears cause I really cannot hear squat anymore.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Injury Report

Postby pra_ggresion » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Yep, I'm gonna be one haggard a-hole in the near future. Broke both ankles over 20 times. Got bone spurs galore down there. Recently tore my MCL for the 3rd time. Tore all kinds of things in both my shoulders. Left one is permanently dislocated from my collarbone. Smoker for 12 years. Three totally separated ribs sticking out of my chest. Seems like the body is forming uncomplimentary padding over it due to all the paddling. Bunch of other relatively minor things. Drink too much, left handed, near-sighted, colorblind, tone deaf, and hairy AF. Still way luckier so far than many. Hopefully surf til 80-90.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Standard surf session is usually pretty good for me. Never feel much pain and often alleviates my pain. Its a stress killer for me, so when my mind is at ease usually my body is too. Mind body connection stuff..... that said if I have a session where I am constantly taking beatings, like pulling into barrels then I can experience some pain. But I consider that good pain if its not associated with an acute injury. Snowboarding and skating seem to hurt much more these days even when staying within my realm of tricks; knee and back esp. Hoping to surf into retirement because that is prob when I'll get back to being a surfer that actually lives at the beach. :x
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Oh and had my right ear chiseled about 4 Decembers ago now..... was 99% blocked, surfers ear. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but was out of the water for at least 3 weeks and ended up with tinnitus (ringing in ear) from the pounding. Literally doc goes in there and chisels with a hammer. The alt is getting you ears cut, pulled back, and drilled which would prob cause tinnitus too. Wasn't chap either for all you uninsured unemployed types out there. Wear you ear plugs and hoods kidos!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm

mental and emotional pain only...

...aside from a stubborn broken toe that won't heal.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 pm

I had a half cord delivered to my house and as I was moving it into the garage I dropped a solid block on my third toe, black and blue for a week solid and hurts like shite when I surf....wtf?
Tex

Postby Spent » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 pm

toes are fucked man. they take forever to heal. broke mine in two places then walked miles and miles into the mountains on it- broken. and refused to stop skateboarding and surfing when i should have let it heal. its permanently crooked and often black and blue after a long session falling off skateboards...

still its better than crippling middle aged depression/ anxiety.
Spent

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Oh any my eyesight is like totally turning to shite, might have to get readers soon.
Tex

Postby X-squid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 pm

I get super bad calf cramps - get them about every other session or so. Sometimes so bad I can't extend my leg - a little scary on heavier days. Anyone else get those?
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Yep get em at night in my legs too... so fuggin painful. Remember pulling in to a round tube one time at Chambers back when there were actual legit bars there and getting a calf cramp i and trying to hold on cause it was wide open and makeable, but just collapsing and then getting so worked.

Dehydration and lack potassium..... try a magnesium supplement.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Yeah I've heard about the potassium - I should also probably lay off the bourbon night before a surf. And on the way... :D
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Yeah that and coffee. Quit the booze or cut back. Best thing I ever did. One inspiration was looking at the older guys still ripping and realizing none of them drink alcohol and are pretty much sober.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby X-squid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Yeah that and coffee. Quit the booze or cut back. Best thing I ever did. One inspiration was looking at the older guys still ripping and realizing none of them drink alcohol and are pretty much sober.

I was being somewhat facetious- I learned a long time ago that boozing the night before a surf does me no good whatsoever.

Although, in my debauchery-ridden Navy days I paddled out very drunk from an all-nighter at this killer sandbar/river mouth in Japan (south end of Chigasaki). Had one of the best sessions of my life...
Last edited by X-squid on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby smithgrind » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Major Lazer wrote:Quit the booze or cut back. Best thing I ever did. One inspiration was looking at the older guys still ripping and realizing none of them drink alcohol and are pretty much sober.

Which is the best thing, cutting back or quitting?
I'm old, not ripping, hardly sober but very somber. Where do I sit on your scale of inspiration?
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:57 am

Major Lazer wrote: round tube one time at Chambers .
Missing McDing right now.
Spent

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf