Change font size   Print view

Skate Vids or Surf Vids

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Skate Vids or Surf Vids

Postby Tex » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 pm

What do you like better, what can you watch longer skating or surfing? I watch a lot more surfing videos these days and I am frankly just getting bored by them so maybe the skate videos hold my interest longer cause I dont watch as many???

Thoughts?
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Skate Vids or Surf Vids

Postby Major Lazer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 am

So many "edits" out there I rarely watch full length vids anymore.

2 surf films I'd like to see thou are; The Sea Wolf and Under an Arctic Sky.

Skatewise last Creature team vid was pretty good. And Viceland Epicly Latered series is always worth a watch. Just watched the Bam one, damn that dude got fat and out of shape.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Spent » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Any clip of Dane Reynolds I will watch over and over.
Same with Tom Curren. I also like Mason Ho clips.
Buttons/ Bertleman. retro clips.

Skateboarding, I'll watch anything with Cardiel, Stranger, Gonz, Frank, Hewitt. F*cking Grant Taylor. Grosso's Love Letters.

But, its just over saturation for both surf and skate vids these days. Day after day, quantity over quality. There are some worthy stand outs. Pontus Alv's skate films clearly influenced Dane Reynold's cinematic output. Check 'em out. Its nice to see some people put some time and effort into editing, music, feeling and mood and not just pump out clip after clip, trick of the day, over-use of slow-mo etc....
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby smithgrind » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Skate or surf vids, I mute the audio and roll either of these two cuts from DSKNT at maximum rock n roll. Very excited for the full album/cassette release in December.
http://tapewyrmmetal.com/archives/2312
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby Spent » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am

Def not enough Black Metal in surf and skate vids.

That sounds like Lemmy singing from the grave. Lovely.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:58 am

Skate vids achieve raw status more frequently than surf vids. Not a whole lot of blue collar pro level surfers out there. If they are then they typically come from a tropical paradise and the sentiment is lost on screen. You don't see surfers adapting to an environment of scum filled gutters, dodging crazies and cops in the streets. Surfer's don't typically do an illegal barge and get away with it unless it's on a 100k boat. Santa Cruz kinda and Lost sometimes has that vibe but no surf vid has ever come close to the rawness of "Fruit of the Vine," for example.

Absolutely despise surf vids with the narrative of, "oh man, I'm getting so jaded from surfing in crowds even though I'm getting paid to do it in a tropical blue water. Gotta get away from all the stress and go stay at a tropical island resort with access to world class waves on a luxury yacht. Then bang surfer groupies and party all night." Skate vids hardly ever have that phony-Malloy-banana-pancakes-singing-coombaya-round- the-ol-campfire-with-a-uke vibe either. Probably no feeling better than camping out right next to surf but, making it a commercial for puffies#vanlife (vanagon poptent jealousy here) is played out.

All that said, love that feeling of being surfed out and coming home and perusing my stack of vids. Simultaneously wind down and get amped for a session in the morning cause I can scam out of work for a few hours. It's just not the same ritual as clicking visceral links. I like the palpability of VHF's and DVD's.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Are we talking old videos...... easily one of my all time favs. Plenty of gritty blue collar SoCal, CenCal, Jers, and Fla rippage. Reminds me when I used to party and surf and skate almost every damn day, although cant say I miss the partying part these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6XoJcv4728
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby pra_ggresion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Seen that before, super sick vid. Rented it from Gorge Performance back when they did that. Thanks for putting it up. I didn't surf when that came out so it might bias my opinion. Even though it's a pretty sick video, comparing it against a skate video couldn't rate higher than a Baker Bootleg or CKY maybe. Those are pretty good but they're definitely no "Thrill of it All " level IMO. One of the sickest sections in a Lost video is on 5'5" Redux and their surfing this barrelling cobblestone right point. Pretty sure it's Salsipuedes but maybe not. I think that part was better than Skeleton Bay in some ways. Kinda going for broke don't give a shite style.

I can't imagine a surf video as good as Mouse, North by Northwest, anything Creature or Anti-Hero. Portland scene made "We Must Bleed" if you wanna see local talent. I think the disparity is that skateboarding typically is trying to make something ugly interesting while surfing is trying to make something already beautiful interesting.

Definitely feel free to post more raw surf videos.

https://vimeo.com/32713802
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:01 pm

"I think the disparity is that skateboarding typically is trying to make something ugly interesting while surfing is trying to make something already beautiful interesting." Pra

You nailed it right there....
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby Major Lazer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:52 am

CKY oh yeah! Kinda forgot about that one.

Really liked the 411 vids and vid mag concept back before the intranets killed the vibes on many levels.

Spike Jonze is da man check out his Epicly Latered if you haven't.
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf