Change font size   Print view

Inmates Running the Asylum

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Inmates Running the Asylum

Postby Tex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 am

Current OSP Assessment:

1.The site administrators have not been on the OSP for years so that means we dont really have any options in terms of upgrading performance on this message board....maybe this is a good thing. It also means there are no rules or least no one is going to enforce rules at this point.

2. Does ANYBODY really uses message boards anymore- it is all facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and whatever else. I wonder if Surfer Mag still even has one. However- I believe that this message board can still do a lot of cool things.

3. OSP does have a heartbeat with a core group of posters and hey we even got BOX to sign up by some miracle.

4. OSP has a shite TON of epic posts and stories and debates. I encourage you all to dig through some of the threads on Haters...some really deep conversations that are worth revisiting and maybe even debating again.

5. Do we want more people to join OSP? I have no idea....maybe if it stays "dead" we can have deeper conversations about spots/details/pictures/forecasts without the worry of it going viral.

6. If we wanted more people to join....how would we do that? I joined because I wanted to be part of the perceived cool kids club even though I only ever met Spider in person. I also wanted to share my 30+ years of OR coast experiences. Seems like the scene at least in the N Coast has radically changed mostly in terms of the number of surfers we have in Oregon compared to 10 years ago. Consider this- the number of surfers in Oregon is increasing every year and conversely, the OSP is basically dead. Did we really piss everyone off? Or did all our core content providers simply quit caring enough to share?

7. I am curious about what might trigger the administrators to jump back in? Tell us to tone it down, tell us to stop posting, tell us to follow the rules?

8. In any case, we have this thing, the OSP, it has a deep and rich history that is easily accessible. We have some surfers that have been keeping the OSP on lifesupport and some surfers that have stumbled back in for whatever reason and thank God they did. We have platform and I love the metaphor from Pra- its like we have a blown out highrise in Detroit that has been abandoned. There is a sturdy foundation from which we can create anything we want or we can keep it on the lifeline.

You guys want to get crazy with this thing??????????????????????????????
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Re: Inmates Running the Asylum

Postby bluesilver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 am

It's already crazy. People are posting long messages
When you know, you know; you know?
bluesilver
roach coach devotee

Postby X-squid » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Does this mean my yearly "first and maybe last post of (enter year here)" threads are going to be irrelevant? I was really looking forward to 2018's...
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:49 pm

It means, we got this place all to ourselves....time to start spot naming I guess!
Tex

Postby pra_ggresion » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:31 am

Tex wrote:It means, we got this place all to ourselves....time to start spot naming I guess!

Yes yes, tell me all your spots and when to go, hree hree hee! I want to know more(hear lies) about 5th Point or Left Overs for instance.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby X-squid » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Okay I'll start - first off, what do you all call that break at the end of Cove road just north of Shorties (I've always called it Gull Rock.)

Too much too soon? Place isn't a huge secret as you can see it clearly from 101 in the winter.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Just south of the tunnel? I called it Mushies....
Tex

Postby Spent » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Could you not PM each other with all the low-key work-once-in-a-blue-moon-but-rarely-resemble-a-surf-spot...?
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby pra_ggresion » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Nice, SG told me a name for it once but I can't remember. Had it really good for about three sessions one year and never saw it the same since. Great spot for beginners to learn about rip currents. What about Leech Lane? Now that spot is epic. More people should surf there.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby smithgrind » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 pm

X-squid wrote:Okay I'll start - first off, what do you all call that break at the end of Cove road just north of Shorties (I've always called it Gull Rock.)nter.

It's always been known as mushies to me.
smithgrind
greystoke

Postby X-squid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Mushies? Hah. Got it good once about 2 years ago.
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby X-squid » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Spent wrote:Could you not PM each other with all the low-key work-once-in-a-blue-moon-but-rarely-resemble-a-surf-spot...?

I thought we were fully endorsing spot-naming now!?
Just another baka gaijin
X-squid
Ten barrel mullet

Postby pra_ggresion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Just not the spots I go to. Anything North of PC is now allowed. Like the other side of Cape Kiwanda. Waaay better than anything in front of the Kong. Don't get why only jet skiers hit it. Had most my best sessions there.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Major Lazer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:32 pm

8Xs out of the 10 the usual and main spots are better than the lesser know for obv reasons... wind blocks, currents, channels. That said every dog has its day and those exotic sessions are always sweeter whether the waves are better or not.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby smithgrind » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:08 pm

[quote="pra_ggresion]What about Leech Lane? Now that spot is epic. More people should surf there.[/quote]
We got hassled there by a "resident" while hanging out next to our car. It was either the best joke or a sign
of a head injury. He said he didn't want it to turn into a seaside situation :lol:
smithgrind
greystoke

Next

Return to Forum For People Who Think They Surf