Change font size   Print view

December to Remember Surf Report

Open to mostly benign surf topics. Like: "Gosh! I had fun on my softtop the other day". Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

Re: December to Remember Surf Report

Postby Spent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Tex wrote:Today should have been the day for me....had the green light for dawn patrol, I knew the high pressure was going to set up some ideal conditions for this old man, I knew I would probably get some peaks mostly to myself. And yet, I didnt pull the trigger. I am tired, been full time dad with the boys home on Christmas break, been at hockey rinks almost every day, been trying to get some extra work done at work during the dead period. Also, wanted to maybe catch the last Seahawk's game of the year.

Plus I was lazy, do I really want to get up that early, was up too late playing Madden on my son's new X-Box. Plus I put on way to much weight from all the holiday meals.

I know that by getting out today I would have felt alive, rejuvenated, amped to be dropping in to some slick little ramps. I knew all of that and yet, I crapped out.

So I am ending 2017 with the lowest number of surf days in a year ever. Yup, I have officially hit rock bottom OSP. Its dark down here....good thing it cant get any worse than 2017....well, maybe it could be, I could actually surf zero days in 18.

I was thinking about how the cycles I go through with surfing. Sometimes you're in tune with when and where to go and surfing as well as you can. Your schedule lines up with good waves, you've got some spots dialed in, your feeling fit, your quiver stokes you and you have a good friend/ crew dragging you out to surf. Other times you can go months when nothing comes together properly. Your days off never line up with good surf and when they do motivation is low, you blow it on spot choice/ timing, not feeling your boards, gone up a wetsuit size, injury...

This is all accentuated when you live 80 miles inland with a job, family and all that other shite...
You'll ride it out, Tex. shite always comes back around. Just be ready for it when it does.
First Gay Marriage, then legal weed and now a goddamn skatepark in PC.
Spent
huntington hop wave killer

Postby Tex » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks boys....been a rough patch for sure but looking forward to getting back out there recharging the surf battery. Been really nice hearing you all score great waves last month and this year already.
Tex
switch stance....... not swish hitter!

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm

and I swear the ones where I was at in CA tended to travel in a swell a whole lot longer before crashing, while the ones up here in OR seem to swell up and curl over right away. Seems like that would make a lot of difference in catching & riding them. Don't know if I'm expressing that well enough in my newbie-speak, but wanted to run that past you all to get your thoughts/opinions.

Box, do you mean, the wave would steepen for longer before curling which allows you a longer time and distance to get into the wave? Yes, California and pretty much every where else has far many more setups in that regard. Besides one spot, California has way more of everything and better than Oregon. The only thing Oregon has that's better than what California has is that there's less Californians here and they're even taking that away from us. I've heard that even In & Out has finally infiltrated. Santa Cruz in particular has about the same number of actual spots as the entire Oregon Coast. Pretty much every spot in Oregon is a long subdued inclining beach that are all pretty much the same all the way down the coast. They just have different and very pleasant views to take in without the rampant festering opulence that runs amok like it does down there.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion
I post better than I surf

Postby pra_ggresion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:42 pm

That being said, pretty much every dog has it's day. Every spot will have certain conditions conducive to learning and/or pushing your current limits.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 pm

These spots I used to surf on the regs had quite pleasing views.
If you plant yourself in the right zone, it can be as wild and remote as the Oregon Coast and the towns are quite nicer than the generally drab depressed vibe of the OC. Just expensive, but I coulda got in cheaper than anything in my neighborhood these days 10+ years ago now.
Routine is a vampire. Manu Chao-
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby erzats » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Got some waves in the Port Orford zone on boxing day. Got some nice trail runs in on Humbug, Perpetua, Mac Forest, and Neahkahnie along the way. Was too lazy to paddle out for head high glassy barrels one morning. I was rolling with a longboard, a cold, and my oldest leash 2' too short and not wanting to swim.

Pulled a hilarious one: Was prepping to paddle out. Doin stuff, doin other stuff, put my leash on, did another thing, then thought "I'll just go for a quick warm up jog"... Felt the slightest tug as my attached leash snapped. Wish I had that on video for Kookslams.

Yep. Pretty dialed these days.
erzats
core!

Postby Major Lazer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Ha funny story.... long drive from BC to PO!
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby Tex » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Running with the leash....well played ERZ!
Tex

Postby erzats » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:06 pm

What surprised me was how easily it broke. I really wish there was someone around to witness that and laugh with me. Hilarious.

I'm from Oregon and was down for Xmas family time. Was lured by the potential for offshore long period goodness. I got some waves, but more running than anything. But that's the way it is with me these days anyhow.

As always, look me up if you want to hop on the coho and explore the north (better) side of the Strait. It's crowded, but fun.
erzats
core!

Postby Tex » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm

I would definitely like to figure out a way to take you up on that offer Erz! That would be a blast.
Tex

Postby BOX » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Box, do you mean, the wave would steepen for longer before curling which allows you a longer time and distance to get into the wave?

Hi Pra- Yes, I think we are on the same page. Sorry again for my newbie-speak, but it was like if you were to look at the wave sideways as it came in, it would look like a 90-degree triangle with the slope facing towards the shore and the peak of the wave away from it. It would travel in this triangle-like shape for a long while before the top would finally catch up with the bottom and crash over. It was in this triangle form that most folks were catching rides. I don't think I have ever seen waves like that up here in OR, pretty much only in surf vids.

Here are a couple of pics I took while hanging out near Moss Landing, about half-way down Monterrey Bay. These are front-on, should have took some from the side to help illustrate the above paragraph, but I think you all can get the idea. Please let me know if I'm breaking some kind of etiquette here, don't want to tick anyone off by exposing secret spots or anything. No one tried to punch me for taking them, so there's that...

Anyway, here they are:
IMG_0454.JPG
Moss Landing surfer 1 - setting up
IMG_0454.JPG (94.92 KiB) Viewed 15631 times

IMG_0455.JPG
Moss Landing surfer 2 - catching wave
IMG_0455.JPG (99.17 KiB) Viewed 15631 times

IMG_0456.JPG
Moss Landing surfer 3 - riding it out
IMG_0456.JPG (93.04 KiB) Viewed 15631 times

Explanations regarding the bottom and surrounding terrain affecting the waves made sense, so thanks everyone for helping educate the new guy. Much appreciated as always!
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby Tex » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Nice pics Box! Now can you teach this old timer how to actually post pics on this site?
Tex

Postby Major Lazer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 am

Moss is a fun fun beachie. Packs a punch too on bigger days, but have mostly surfed it on smaller when points and reefs we not spectacular. Great kayaking in the Elkhorn slough too. That area is gorgeous.

Tex host photo somewhere and grab url. Then use the standard html tags to embed [url]Tex's photo url[/url] Most hosting sites will provide url, but another way is to right clink on image and then click "open in image in new tab". Copy the url from address window. You can also inspect the java script code and find image by searching code for "jpg" You should be able to find url that way too. This is all using Chrome browser.......
Major Lazer
neoprene queen

Postby BOX » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah, Elkhorn Slough was the reason we were in the area that day. My wife did a kayak trip up the slough to hang out with the sea otters. Sounded awesome but I went on a whale boat with my daughters instead since that's what they wanted to do. A humpback breached a bunch of times in front of us, so not a bad alternate choice.

There were TONS of stinging nettles in the bay. Apparently there was a huge bloom this year, but the fear of being stung didn't seem to slow the surfers down any. I guess a wet suit protects you from the sting? (until you get one in the face...). Anyway, I very much enjoyed my short time around there. It is indeed a beautiful area. Next time I'm getting in the water for sure.

Hey Tex - ML had a great explanation on how to add pics, but I do it a different way:

Right below the open text box where you write out your post (below the save/preview/submit buttons) there is a dark field with two tabs. It defaults to "Options", but choose the other tab "Upload attachment." That should allow you to browse for a file you have saved on your computer or personal drive. A window will pop up and just search out the image you need and click on it. That will get it ready to go, but won't add it yet. If you want, you can add a comment to the picture to caption it. Once you are all set, then hit the "Add the file" button. The screen will change and it looks like it should be all ready to go, but there's still one more step. You need to add it in to the right spot of your text, otherwise it may look out of order. So, when you get to the place in your text that you want your picture to go, position your cursor and hit the "Place inline" button.

IMG_0293.JPG
Life is better...
IMG_0293.JPG (76.34 KiB) Viewed 15621 times

That will put the picture where you want it. Even if you want it at the very bottom, I'm pretty sure you still have to hit the "Place inline" button to add the code. Also, you need to make sure your picture isn't too big. I think the limit is around 270kb or so. I had to shrink down the last pics I added so they would go. I always preview before I submit (pictures or not) to make sure everything looks ok, but that's just quality assurance at that point.

That's how I do it at least. Hope that helps. Best of luck, Tex!
BOX
Ten barrel mullet

Postby pra_ggresion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm

No kidding,
20171018_074925 (2).gif
20171018_074925 (2).gif (22.96 KiB) Viewed 15611 times
that's how you do it.
Potato salad or die!
pra_ggresion

PreviousNext